Adding a roof deck??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catblaster

While scrapping out the junk on our property I came across an old pontoon boat. Wondering if it would work as an observation deck for the roof of the RV. Cut off the aluminum frame work and graft it to the rear roof section of the Winnie.

Any thoughts? I'm not looking forward to extra work and it all hinges on my health anyway. It just seems a terrible waste to scrap it.

Interesting project Will. I've seen trailers mounted on a pontoon boat, but not the other way around. A question for the Winnebago experts would be how much weight can be safely carried on the roof, and whether that would accommodate the weight of the deck and all the people likely to stand on it at the same time. Securing it in place is another issue.

Use the rail off of the boat,  it will fit on and stay below the sat dish....no prob.

Fastening?? bungee cords in true southern redneck engineering!!  Securing it will be a problem along with the weight, especially since it will be mostly behind the axle.. This is looking like a BAD idea.

Not to mention the additional height clearance required ...

I assumed the folks would get off the observation deck before he drove off  :eek:

Tom said:
I assumed the folks would get off the observation deck before he drove off  :eek:
Rails!  The safety rails, not the folks. :)

catblaster said:
Use the rail off of the boat,  it will fit on and stay below the sat dish....no prob.
I dunno...my pontoon rails are about 30" high.  I suppose one could make them so they fold down when traveling.  Or they could be shortened, but then they wouldn't be much of a safety rail.  10'-12' is a long drop. :eek:

I can see it now....Hey ya'll wanna see somethin real funny. or ..backed into Beverly beach with a waterslide and tiki bar on top.

I looked seriously at a Super C that had a toy garage and an roof deck. It had fold up side rails, seats, and a place for an umbrella and a BBQ. Sometimes I wish that I had tried it out!

Most of the motor homes they used to build, with roof decks, had access from inside the motor home and it took a lot of the space there.  Seemed like it left too little for the normal things that are needed "downstairs".

We looked at an airstream that had the deck with the stairway inside, you're right about taking up the space, but it sure was kool. Thought I would modify the motorcycle lift to run all the way up like an elevator.

Yeah, the Super C had a staircase from inside the garage area. The living area was not huge, and the bed was up over the garage area in a loft. The DW gets up at night too often, she would have killed herself going up and down a ladder.

Airstream motorhome, Sky Deck I think was the model.  Had a wooden staircase inside.  Had a sink and BBQ setup on the deck.  Bimini style cover at the back, was quite an attention getter.  Rails folded over with seating, cushions for the seats stowed below.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom