liquid rubber roof on 96 Bounder 35'u any advice on prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lorn

Hi, I'm going to put liquid Epdm rubber roof on my 96 Bounder. it is chalking very bad, and lots or black areas showing through.
if anyone has done this i could use advise on what you cleaned the roof with, to get the chalk off. any help would be great.
thanks Lorn :)

Any strong cleaner, like Simple Green will do the job.  I add a fairly strong bleach water mixture too.  I use a soft bristle brush.

I like to have a helper constantly rinsing down the sides as I clean the roof.  The less time the crud spends running down the sides of the coach the easier it is to clean off.

I'll be doing the Liquid Roof thing in a couple of weeks.

As you can see by my signature, I also have a Bounder and have ordered 6 gallons of the Liquid roof coating.

Post your results, please.

I will be doing mine when the weather worms up, it's still to cool in Alberta to do it now. I order 8 gallons. received it the other day.
will take before pic's and after, thanks for the info. i'm going to do poliglow on the unit as well,its getting very dull.
Lorn

We put the proflex primer on first.  I think it helped us to use less and we had to have it because of the type of rubber roof we had.  It was the clear primer.  We found out the old American Eagle had the type of rubber roof that had to have primer before the liquid roof.

Hubby cleaned it really good before we put it on.

I just finished my 95 30' Storm with the liquid rubber product. I used acetone to clean the surface. It did a great job getting all the chalk off. The prep work will take more time than applying the product. I spent a good 2 days getting it ready and it only took 3 hours to apply the Liquid Roof. The product was much harder to spread than I anticipated. It was so thick almost like trying to spread bubble gum. That being said it got easire as I figured out how to work the squeege around. I used a heavy brush to go around all of the edged and vents before I put the main coat on. I am very pleased with the results so far. It's been on now for 3 months. In total I spent around $600 including prep materials.

In my opinion, acetone is way overkill for the chalking.  Too much acetone and you run the risk of loosening the adhesive that bonds the EPDM substrate to the roof itself.  Any strong detergent and bleach is more than adequate.

Liquid Roof RV sells for around $78/gallon or $275 for a 4 gallon pail.  Other brands are good as well and run around the same price. Primer is recommended.

Gary RV Roamer said:
In my opinion, acetone is way overkill for the chalking.  Too much acetone and you run the risk of loosening the adhesive that bonds the EPDM substrate to the roof itself.  Any strong detergent and bleach is more than adequate.

As I think back about the install I remember scrubbing it down with Simple Green/Water to get the bulk of the chalking off. I then wiped on and right off the acetone to get it real clean. Most of the videos on their site show people using acetone. That is where I got the idea. I hope I didn'd do any unnecessary damage to the original EPDM.

I had to buy the liquid roof from a US company and have it shipped to Alberta, they used ups. the brokerage fees are very high.
my cost by the time I received the 2 4 gallon pails was $900.00 Canadian. but it is still cheaper then $3000.00 for a new roof installed at
a dealer or RV service center.
so if I have the EPDM rubber roof, do I still need this primer?
Lorn

Lorn said:
I had to buy the liquid roof from a US company and have it shipped to Alberta, they used ups. the brokerage fees are very high.
my cost by the time I received the 2 4 gallon pails was $900.00 Canadian. but it is still cheaper then $3000.00 for a new roof installed at
a dealer or RV service center.
so if I have the EPDM rubber roof, do I still need this primer?
Lorn

There is NO primer required for the product called "Liquid Roof" when used to re-coat an RV EPDM roof.  If you just buy the "Liquid Rubber" (slightly cheaper per gallon) a primer is recommended.

so if I scrape all the loose calking off, use say bleach and dawn dish soap, with scrub brush,rinse really good,it should be ready to apply
the liquid roof. now we need the weather to warm up. can't wait, got the spring bug to get things done.
Lorn

Lorn said:
so if I scrape all the loose calking off, use say bleach and dawn dish soap, with scrub brush,rinse really good,it should be ready to apply
the liquid roof. now we need the weather to warm up. can't wait, got the spring bug to get things done.
Lorn
Being down here in north Carolina where spring has definitely sprung already, I'll probably get my roof project started ahead of you.  I'll post the results.

I talked to the American Eagle folks at Fleetwood and the Liquid Roof people and both said the roof on ours required the primer. I don't know about other types of rubber roof, I know many do not require the primer.  Ours adhered well, its like it became an integral part of the existing roof there is no separation that I can see or feel anywhere.  Ours was an Alpha Brand rubber roof is why we had to use primer.  It's in a large warning on the can.  I don't know if they use that kind now.

We had skylights with tons of old caulking and the skylights themselves were no good, I tried acetone and everything else and no go.  Finally got a heat gun and worked carefully with it, that was the answer, it was 10 times easier with it and where I thought there was roofing loose and up in the caulk, it just turned out to be some kind of original caulk mixed in that was the devil to get off.  I agree, I worked and worked to remove that stuff.

And yes it was a lot of work to spread. My husband did the main roof, I did the sides and around everything for him.  We put the primer on and let it dry good and then did the roof several days later.  If its very warm it sits up a lot quicker then it says it does.  Took us all day to do a 38footer and almost into the evening.

Also he bought that tape with the 3 ft of plastic drop and taped everything off.  He taped the edges down but a breeze came up and blew it into the primer in many places, we pulled it out for several hours, thankfully it wasn't in the finished product but we were sure upset.  It came out ok, just make sure you really really tape that down to protect the sides.

Here's a couple of before and after.

It came out real good we think, but it was a lot of work.  Since we also replaced all the skylights and the Maxx Air covers too and the vent tops ours came to $1600.  Fleetwood had to special order that odd square middle skylight and it alone was $275, ouch dollars.  Fantastic Fan sent us new domes for the old cracked ones of theirs for no charge.  The only cover I did not have to replace was the fridge cover.

I don't really think much had been done to the roof other then slathering gunk on the skylights and poorly at that.  Yes, we had a leak around the bathroom one we think, could be condensation, not sure, and the hallway.  But luckily the unit had to have been stored under cover most of its life or it would likely have been ruined.

Attachments

• Diesel pusher skylight work2.JPG
    Diesel pusher skylight work2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Diesel pusher skylight work9.JPG
    Diesel pusher skylight work9.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 122
  • AC unit and Satellite.JPG
    AC unit and Satellite.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01326.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 164
Carolyn that look great. my roof is not the alfa rubber,they say I don't need the primer. But it needs alot of cleaning and prep.the rig came from
Texas up to Alberta. the last owner had not done any maintenance in years.The dealer put over ten grand in this rig after I purchased it.
they where not to happy. But I would not back down. I should have been check out before it was put up for sale.
thanks for your reply
Lorn Brooker
96 35'u
Lacombe Alberta Canada

I just completed eternabond tape and roof coating on my TT. I have a word document with LOTS of pictures throughout the entire process but it is to big to post. I can send it as a email?

There are two photo essays on a roof jobs in the forum Library as well.

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/RV_re-roof.pdf
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Eternabond_LiquidRoof.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom