liquid rubber roof on 96 Bounder 35'u any advice on prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope to get at it within the next two weeks, if the weather warms up enough. the temperature in Alberta is still around 55F daytime and
34F nights so just to cool yet I think.
Lorn

Lorn!!  Hold the phone!!!

I've just been informed that our mid '90s Bounders DO, indeed, have EPDM roofs made by Alpha Systems and DO require Proflex Primer before applying the Liquid Roof Material.

The Liquid Roof web site states that Liquid Roof can be applied to any roof surface, but when received, states clearly NOT to be used on Alpha Systems roofs.

I called Liquid Roof, and they said I needed to apply the primer first and everything would be OKAY.

Fleetwood has not yet returned my call, but sent an e-mail that didn't help much.  I told them, in an e-mail, that I wanted to re-coat the roof of my '97 Bounder, and asked if it was made by Alpha Systems. 

Their answer was: ".....a coating is not needed for the roof.  We can only suggest that you go online to the ALPHA website for their recommendations."

I guess that means that the roof was, indeed, made by Alpha.  I am now trying to get that clarified via phone.

Thanks Lou, let me know what you find out. its still to cool to do mine only in the low 50's here right now.
thanks again Lorn

i was thinking on rubber roofing my '78 shasta. but i also saw some kind of sealent spray on tv for patching roofs and eaves troughs so that they dont leak.... would this be suitable? or should i break down and rubber roof it?

VA3epr is this a rubber roof on your motorhome,or metal roof. if it is metal you must ruff it up to get rubber roof
to stick to the metal. don't know about the product you talked about.
Lorn

Hi everyone. well I got the roof preped and scrubbed today, took off ac covers,vent buddy's,then let it dry.
mixed up the liquid roof and let it sit for 1 hour, got back up on the roof,did around the ac units and the vents.
then the sky opened up and it rained hard for about 2 hours. I got the ac covers back on in the rain, don't think
things got too wet. But so much for my Sunday afternoon job. now its going to rain off and on for the next three
days. I guess i'll get next week end.
Lorn

Lorn, you are ahead of me now.  I had to suspend activity on my roof in favor of some needed brake maintenance.  I've got a six week trip planned in two weeks, so I may not get back at it until the first of July.

Good luck with yours, and post some pictures.

Lou, I will post pic's as do areas, if it ever stops raining. here in Alberta once it starts to rain it doesn't know
how to stop !

I just had the brakes done on my rig. replaced every thing. not cheap!

have a great trip.
Lorn

the roof is done. had some bubbling, hope it go's back down. will post pic's on the weekend.
this stuff is very thick, not that easy to work with.
Lorn

my roof is metal. (sheet metal)  i shall rough it up and buy some rubber roof . will post pics when i get started on the project. thank you Lorne. :)

Lorn
any updates on your roof? how did it hold out over the winter?
any after photos?
thanks.

just seen the last post. yes the roof is just like new. all the bubbles are gone. great stuff would use again and would recommend for all climates
thanks Lorn

Here are some pic's one year after the roof was done, with liquid rubber roof. I'm very happy with the product. It when through a cold Canadian
winter with no problem.

thanks for all the help,saved me money and time
Lorn

Attachments

• DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 56
How do you know what kind of roof matl your epdm is? The Alpha that requires primer, or something else which doesn't? If there is no way other than being the original owner and "knowing", will it hurt to err on the side of caution and use a primer, if it is the kind that doesn't need it?

Maybe you all know what Fleetwood used on their Prowler Regal 5th wheels in 2005? I don't have any black chalking, but the coating is peeling off like crazy with around less than 50% remaining after the last trip so I figure it is time to do something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom