Local Channels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I know this has been discussed before, but this is the first time I've had to deal with it.  We're in Texas now, from California and we cannot get any locals on our Dishnetwork Satellite.  I was told (by dish) before we left home that I would be able to get local channels.  Then...when I got here and found I couldn't get them, I called and was told...I could change my address and then I would get them.  This of course won't work because I have people house sitting and then they wouldn't get any local TV!!  So, then I was told I could add an antenna to the back of my receiver and that would get me some locals...I got 1, barely!  So, again I called Dish and this time I asked for a supervisor and he promptly told me that, no way, no how, could I get local channels because of something to do with the FAA.  Can someone please give me some insight into what in the heck he's talking about.  And, is there anyway I can get locals while in Texas?
Thanks...Mikie

You can get local channels, but only in one place at a time. If you need to keep the "local" at your fixed home, you cannot also get them at your traveling location if it is outside of your home viewing area.  The FCC (not FAA) won't allow Dish to serve you in multiple regions at the same time.

You could establish a separate DISH account for the RV and then each account can have its own "local" area, but that may be too pricey an option for you. Depends on how much you travel. We have a separate rv account and use it 5-7 months/year, then suspend it for the rest of the time.

You can also just use an over the air antenna (bypass your satellite system) and feed it directly to the TV for local channel access.

Sounds crude, I know, but that's how we used to do it back in the dark ages of the twentieth century.

Just Lou said:
Sounds crude, I know, but that's how we used to do it back in the dark ages of the twentieth century.

The "dark ages" are coming back!  Tell Dish and Direct to use their antennas as hats in the rice fields.  Not worth the price.

IMHO.

I ue a high quality digital antenna - sits in the compartment next to the tv, but I could put it on the roof if needed... received 130 channels when I was in Texas recently. More than enough, and free. Lots of music channels!!!

I just starting using Dish Network myself and before that I used to just use the orig antenna on the MH to get local channels. It wasn't very many but usually around 4-5 channels that were useful, meaning they weren't shopping channels etc. I would go outside and see what direction everyone else had their antenna pointed and do the same.

s2kskibum said:
I ue a high quality digital antenna - sits in the compartment next to the tv, but I could put it on the roof if needed... received 130 channels when I was in Texas recently. More than enough, and free. Lots of music channels!!!

OOOOKAY!! ::)

I have Dish and have distant locals. We have a 211k receiver set up as a DVR. Since we fulltime, if we were to change to the local channels every time we moved, the timers to record shows would be all screwed up.

We have the roof antenna connected to the back of the receiver and scan for local channels when we get to a new location. Sometimes we get a lot of channels, sometimes as few, sometimes none at all. Here's the thing, though. If Dish doesn't have you set to receive the local channels from them, the program guide doesn't provide any data. It only says 'digital service' for all day. If you want to record anything, you need to set up manual timers.

If the guide is not important to you, this might work. Remember that you will be dependent on your ability to receive over the air broadcasts. With digital, when you get a strong enough signal, the picture quality will be the same as a Dish channel, at the least. Many times, it's a better picture. That's IF you get the signal.

Just Lou said:
OOOOKAY!! ::)

Opps - DW says we were hooked up to cable at the campground - I DO get 40 channels here in Denver over the air, some still analog!

mrschwarz said:
Many times, it's a better picture. That's IF you get the signal.
For what it's worth re over the air reception - you may not notice it but many broadcast TV stations only broadcast in 720i, whereas Dish and DirecTV broadcast in 1080i which is significantly higher resolution/better detailed picture.
Added...this assumes HD satellite reception ::)
This includes the local stations as well since the satellite providers get a direct feed, not over the air capture and retransmit. The local stations split up their bandwidth to be able to broadcast other content such as weather station, local content, etc. The more channels you see (like 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4...) the lower the resolution of the actual station you see. Some stations I have seen actually split up so much they only broadcast in 420i which is same resolution as old analog broadcast.

Back
Top Bottom