Digital camera problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This was my trip for stuff to quit working. After a couple of days of snapping photos at Moab using my small Minolta digital camera, I figured I'd better look at what I'd taken. That's when I noticed that 60-70% of my photos were virtually plain white. Playing with the zoom a little, I could get the condition to occur, become less, or even disappear. I'm left thinking that somehow light is getting past the lens except in some positions.

I switched to my old Sony that writes to a pocket CD, although I received a few funny comments from folks because of the large size of this camera. But it still works, albeit at lower resolution and has a 10X optical zoom in addition to image stabilization.

When I looked at Minolta's web site I found a message saying "Konica-Minolta exited the camera business in March, 2006. Go talk to Sony for customer support". Since I'm out of warranty, I'm not holding my breath for any help there.

Before I give up on this camera, does anyone have any idea what might be wrong &/or an economical way of fixing it? The little camera has been a real workhorse since I bought it 2 years ago. It's so convenient hung on my belt - it's always there when that Kodak moment arrives and has taken many hundreds, if not thousands of photos.

TIA.

Tom said:
Before I give up on this camera, does anyone have any idea what might be wrong &/or an economical way of fixing it?

A couple thoughts come to mind, Tom.

o A light leak: I had an older Minolta once that I had to tie a rubber band around to keep the light out. Am thinking of the case vs. the zoom lens.

o An inadvertent setting: For example, can you set the camera to Manual vs. Auto mode? If it is set to manual by mistake -- and the aperture is wide open -- or shutter speed really slow, the corresponding actual lighting may be overpowering. Another setting that could affect amount of light is the ISO.

Am down to those two -- either a leak or inadvertent setting. If it's a light leak, you may want to just consider a new camera. On one hand, the value of yours has gone down drastically so the cost of having it fixed would be much greater than the cost of a new one. OTOH, a much better camera can be had now for the same price you paid for this one. Most of your stuff that I have seen is done in close to ideal lighting situations -- and when that is the case, a point and shoot in most cases can do as good a job as a much more expensive unit.

A light leak is my bet too Bob, since the camera is permanently on auto. (I use it like a point and shoot). Another option might have been the imager but, since I can get the condition to change with lens position, it's more likely to be associated with the lens than the imager.

I've actually purchased a "replacement" camera, partly because I needed one this week and partly to evaluate some features either missing from or different in the old camera. The store where I bought it has a liberal return policy so, if I could get the old camera working reliably (e.g. by using a rubber band approach), I'd return the new one. That would also allow me to buy a less portable one with a higher zoom (e.g. the one that Jerry has), or a digital SLR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom