Almost bought the farm..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
We came the closest I have ever been to a catastrophic accident two days ago.  We have been RVing for about 15 years now. We have had our share of being cut off, pushed over, or generally ignored by some other driver. You just shake your head, mumble and carry on. 

And then two days ago on I-5 North, outside of Los Angeles, we were cruising on the way to Paso Robles to enjoy a week in wine country.  It was about 2 PM and traffic was moderate, but moving.  The truck scales just before the "grapevine" were up a head and there was a long line of trucks already in line to take their turn in the scales.  We were driving between 55-60 MPH in the #4 lane, which would be the slow lane. 

We were clear for about 1/2 mile and the cruise was set and we were enjoying the drive.  And then things changed in a hurry. An 18 wheeler that had  been in line with the rest of the trucks and rolling about 5 MPH, suddenly decided that he didn't want to wait for the scales. He suddenly pulled back into the traffic lane (mine) and started to accelerate. The problem was I was coming at 55+ MPH, had a long string of trucks on the right side of me, and several smaller passenger cars on the left doing 70+ MPH. 

In an instant I realized that turning out was not an option. My only recourse was to stand on the brakes, and lay on the horn.  The next few seconds I won't forget for a while. The  entire contents of the RV was shifting forward (as far as it could), all the stuff in the cupboards was flying around, and the the toad as well as the motorhome went into 4 wheel panic braking.  I saw the end of the truck coming up fast, and could only think about I hope this was survivable.

Well, I guess it wasn't our time because the RV slowed to a near stop just inches from the trailer of the "Bimbo Bakery" logo.  It took a second to compose ourselves and start to drive forward again.  I think the vehicle behind me (I'm not sure what it was) also went into a lock skid.  I heard the brakes but never had the opportunity to look around. 

I eventually caught up to the truck, which of course kept going. I turned to look at the driver, a younger kid, maybe 25 stare back at me with a blank stare.  I wish I would have had my wits about me, I would have gotten the truck number and called the company.  However, the truck would not get close to me again. 

We are still here, and are still RVing, just a little more cautious. 

Be safe out there.........

Sarge

Glad you are o.k. Too bad you didn't get a tractor license or at least the unit number. Cutting you off like that and running the scales would have caused him some serious difficulties.

Wow, sure glad it worked out. Been in one similar myself and don't know if I was more scared then or after I got to thinking about it later. Sometimes we are being watched out for.

I had one close call some time ago in the motorhome, lucky so far, it was a wrecker driver mad because there was road construction, no one would let me in, and he wouldn't let me in either and I had no choice but to merge, I had signaled and signaled, motioned and everything, then he went around in that lane that was mostly blocked off and we weren't to be in and almost took the front end off. And of course giving me the finger all the way, he was lucky no workers were over there.  I don't think I was correct either but the people that won't let a motorhome get over must have a death wish or something.  That was the worst one I ever had, but I have driven a lot less then you guys have in one.

But last week almost got it in my truck.  Some idiot on the right side of me decided to make a left hand turn across me, I'm sure he/she didn't even know I was there. I like you hit the brakes while going to the thankfully open turn opening to my left and locked my brakes.  I didn't even have time to honk, scared me to death.  They continued on in front of me and made a uturn at the light, not even sure uturns are allowed there.  I'm betting they were on a cellphone, they almost tore up both of us. 

It's much scarier in a motorhome though, those things take awhile to stop.  But it seems to me people are getting ruder and ruder while driving.  Here around Houston its a nightmare anymore.

Glad everything is OK.  Wife and I always stop at Gorman.  Last time we were there the State had a little handout about the Grapevine and how it compares its accident ratio to other roads in the state  The Grapevine for several reasons has a lot of accidents.  Mostly people not paying attention. One of the reasons it what they call "diverse" speed.  As in the fast lane people are going 70+ and in slow lane trucks are going 20 MPH. 
Going up hwy 14 via Acton and nearby 1000 trails takes 45 min longer. 

Boy that's the truth Jerry.  Later that night I was thinking about it and realized that there was nothing that I could have done other than ride it out. 

You are right Roy. Most professional truckers would never have made a move like that on a busy interstate. This kid was young, spiked up hair and space man sunglasses.  My guess is that he hadn't been driving very long.  Lucky for him too really. To go through a trial for involuntary manslaughter really messes up your social life.....

path said:
One of the reasons it what they call "diverse" speed.  As in the fast lane people are going 70+ and in slow lane trucks are going 20 MPH. 

That's always a recipe for disaster. But people are doing it all the time.

Sure glad you are OK. Ever since the near miss that I had we drive with a lot of caution - not paranoid but with caution.

It always seems like someone just hangs on my left and won?t go around and then there is the one on the right coming onto the road with their middle finger up because I can?t move over.

Nice to know you can STOP on a dime and give change back.  I had one like that last spring when we were trading RV's in construction zone concrete walls on both side barely room to drive. Little car thought some dump truck was coming out of a side area and slammed on her brakes with me and a 12 others behind her. I was actually STANDING on the pedal to get a stop. Missed her by millimeters.  Yeah thats a adrenaline rush you DON'T want to have.

Hi SargeW and all,

Just plain scary event. By sharing the bad experience it may help keep others on the alert for something like that before it happens. I'm guessing you have better training in regards to driving than most of us. Glad you were able to stop. Bet you'll be moving things over in the storage and compartments for days.

Glad you are safe but know it was real scary.

I wasn't towing but on wet day in the early dark hours of morning I had a car pulled from the fast lane into to my lane on the freeway and slow way down to a stop.  Like you I hit the brakes & horn hard.  I originally thought he had car trouble.  I was able to blindly swing pass him a few feet before coming to a complete stop.  The guy behind me went past him a few feet on the other side before coming to a complete stop as well.  As I sit shaking, thinking how thankful I was to be alive I watch the driver "in trouble?" move over a couple of lanes onto the entrance for the other freeway.  What an idiot  to come to a stop so that he wouldn't miss the change over!

If ever I'm in a situation like you while towing, I hope I will be able to manage the trailer as well as you did.

We have been in a similar situation in New Orleans.  What irks me most is when attempting to leave a safe distance between vehicles, someone always has to pull in between reducing my stopping distance.  While I am at it, passing on the right and the fools that do not obey the YIELD signs as they enter the freeway. Thirty years in Law Enforcement and teaching recruits pursuit and defensive driving,  I have to wonder whats being taught to civilians today.  Of course if you write them a traffic summons your the bad guy.  Gee, I feel better!

We came to a T intersection in northern CA that was a three way stop. I stopped, looked then turned right into the acceleration lane. All of a sudden WHOOOSH, a super B-train roared past me at well over the posted speed limit, he never slowed down for the stop sign. DW and I sat there and shook, if I had merged into the lane it would have been all over.

You know.. I keep reading posts from folks who say you don't need a braking system on yoru towed.

I assume you are thanking the powers that be you decided to include such a system on YOUR towed, cause let me tell you.. From your description, that is the reason you are typing today.

Congrats on being properly prepared.

I wonder if the weighmaster sent a runner after the violator in the bimbo bakery truck?

PS. Feel free to have your lawyer assult him "Reckless Endangerment, the precident was set in Ohio when a trucker tried to pass a slow moving lawyer, NOt nearly as harry as your story, he got half a million)

John From Detroit said:
PS. Feel free to have your lawyer assult him "Reckless Endangerment, the precident was set in Ohio when a trucker tried to pass a slow moving lawyer, NOt nearly as harry as your story, he got half a million)

lawyer probably got 60%...  taxes probably took 35%...  actually got less than 20%...? Ins company raised rates 25%...  Very productive endeavor...

Marsha/CA said:
Sarge,

I'm a God person and I'm ever so thankful that He was taking care of you.  That could have been a terrible accident.

Marsha~
I think you are right on this one Marsha. I think that there was an angel on my shoulder.

taoshum said:
Sarge...

In hindsight, anything you woulda done differently?

You know, I think that there is. And the funny thing is, it is usually a practice of mine. If I had it to do over again I would have moved left one lane to the #3 lane as I approached the scales. I didn't at the time because there were no vehicles in my lane for a long way in front of me, and it would have meant merging into other faster moving traffic to my left. 

I am taking that as a wake up call, never let your guard down when driving. You just can't predict what nuttyness some other driver is going to pull.  Back in the day of my career in law enforcement, we called those instances when some situation went sideways on you a "training exercise".  A tidbit that you filed away and pulled it out the next time you are in a similar situation.  I will use this lesson over and over. 
John From Detroit said:
You know.. I keep reading posts from folks who say you don't need a braking system on yoru towed.

I assume you are thanking the powers that be you decided to include such a system on YOUR towed, cause let me tell you.. From your description, that is the reason you are typing today.

Congrats on being properly prepared.

I wonder if the weighmaster sent a runner after the violator in the bimbo bakery truck?

Exactly right John. If I didn't have a braking system on the Jeep, I am sure that this post would have been being written by someone else as a "gee, guess what happened to Sarge"  story. 

And no, no runner after the truck and here is why.  About two miles before the scales on the southbound side of the I-5 was a massive traffic jam.  We saw it as we passed by just a few minutes before my incident.  The southbound lanes were all but closed and the backup stretched for miles.  And guess what. A couple of cars were involved and a Semi that had rolled over and was disconnected from the tractor.  I think the jerk that decided to jump the scales knew that there was not going to be any extra CHP's available, and there wasn't. 

Sarge,

Check the MH very carefully especially for any leaks underneath.  In '94 with our SeaBreeze, I had a panic stop when an idiot pulled out in from of me.  Believe it or not, I skidded all 4 wheel positions.  Some months later on a trip I noticed gas dripping from the edge of the tank.  The front of the tank was dented in and there was a gash on the differential that matched.  The tank was on hangers but no for/aft retention.  Full tank, panic stop equalled a leak and a new tank.  Ford wound up paying but that is a long and sorry story.  Good for a few brews around a campfire.

Hope there are no leaks or other damage in you case.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  I have the same chassis and gas tank mounts on my 94 Damon Intruder but I never made the connection with fore/aft stability.

Is there a factory fix or do I have to make my own?  I'm thinking about diagonal bracing between the front and rear hangars.  Or did the tank itself shift on the mounts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom