summer in the desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NintendoKD

The summer is getting here in the socal desert and we have started using the air conditioner here in our 33' sea breeze.  It is a dometic quick cool.  It bothers me that it has started leaking water while running and it is running all over the ceiling, and into a light fixture, how do I fix this?

I had a similar problem with our Country Coach years ago. Had them work on it six times before I finally threatened to use the lemon law here in FL. The seventh time they replaced the units and everything was fine.

I really think the problem was an opening in the duct work which allowed warm air to enter the cold duct, condense, and then leak out through the air intake of both units. I'd try to see if there is any small opening that might allow the warm air to enter. Another cause might be cracked pans on the roof which would allow water back into the system.

At one time I had the same problem and the AC was not held down tight enough to the roof. Remove the plastic cover on the ceiling and you will see where the AC unit is held down in the corners, tighten the bolts down and you will be set, if that is what is causing your problem, orrrr it may be the gasket between the AC unit and the roof and you would have to replace the gasket.

Kevin

Normal operation lets the evaporator condensation drain into the air conditioner pan on the roof.  There should be small slits on both sides of the pan to let the water drain out onto the roof.

If these holes are plugged (you'll have to get up on the roof to see them) water will build up until it spills over the inside lip and through the cutout into the rig.

If water is draining normally onto the roof, look for low spots or a loose gasket as mentioned.  But don't overtighten the hold down bolts - they should be fairly snug, nothing more - or you'll over compress the gasket and will have to buy a new one, then lift the air conditioner to get it in place.

We had this problem and discovered it also happened during a rain storm if the rig was tilted in any direction and not perfectly level.  Daniel took the AC out, resealed everything inside and out and we don't have the problem anymore.  I am going to tell him about the slits that shouldn't be blocked though.

To also compensate for the heat (we've been in the triple digits for a while now in AZ), we put up 3/4" insulation over all the Southeast facing windows.  Our windows are tinted but they still turned into ovens in the daily sun.  With the curtains in place, we could literally smell the fabric cooking.  Now, we remain cool in the rig, the rig is better insulated and we don't get that radiating heat problem that seems to completely cancel out the A/C. 

Hope that helps!  Good Luck!
Paula

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom