Nashua NH to Waves NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

75sling

Hello

Next Friday, 13-Apr, we leave from Nashua, NH (7pm) and heading to ocean waves cg in Waves, NC.

Would appreciate any road conditions (especially re GW bridge in NYC).

Our option is doing the big loop via Penn, or NY, NJ and then south via MD.

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Sal

When we lived in Vermont I found the best way south was to take I-84 west to I81 south. I usually cut back over to I-95 using I-66 then US 17.

This route avoids New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC traffic.

ken

Our daughter lives in Nags Head on the Outer Banks.  We always take the same route.  MA Pike to 84, to 684, to 287, Tappan Zee Bridge, Garden State, Jersey Turnpike, Delaware Memorial Bridge, Route 13 down the Delmarva Peninsula, Chesapeake Bay Bridge into Norfolk, pick up 64, to 168 which will merge with 158 and you will be on the OBX.  From there you only have one choice to go south.

This route isn't pretty, but it is shorter and misses all of the DC, Baltimore and Richmond traffic.  The previous post will work, but 84 is in pretty tough shape after you leave Hartford.

Where are you staying in Waves?  We love Ocean Waves Campground there.

>>The previous post will work, but 84 is in pretty tough shape after you leave Hartford.<<

It was not in great shape years ago. I had assumed by now that it would have been repaved. Connecticut must be broke! VBG

I taken your route several times and it works, just more traffic. But if I-84 is really bad, then it is probably the way to go.

I am probably prejudiced against that route because once on it I had my cruise control lock up in the on position at 55mph. Didn't realize it until I was coming up to a RED light. Fortunately the brakes on that old Spartan chassis were good and stopped the rig. At the light I put it in neutral, then on the green it wouldn't go into to gear because the engine revs were too high. Shut the engine off, then back on and quickly into gear to get across the intersection and off the road. Since it was a manual linkage from the cruise to the throttle cable, I was able to disconnect the cruise. I finally had it replaced in Florida.

ken

Thanks, Ken...we took that route to Florida last year.

Demoon, yes, we will be staying at Ocean Waves CG for second time.

Have you any update on highway 12 since it re-opened after Irene?

Thanks
Sal

If you have time and want a pleasant trip, take the Garden State Pkwy to Cape May and the Cape May Lewes Ferry to Lewes, DE. Then US 113/US 13 to the Bay Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk and then to the Banks. You get to RV and take a cruise all in the same trip.  :D.

HWAY 12 is fine on the Outer Banks.  There is a small bridge constructed over a washout just north of New Inlet, but it's fine.

Believe me I-84 is the road from hell. we did Ken's route, 6 months ago and that stretch on !-84 was  just unbelievable. I-81 in Pennsylvania, was only a tad better, and got progressively better, as we got closer to the border of West Virginia. I-81 is a spectacular route all the way down south.

Just my two cents.

Mariekie

Thank you, all, for your  input....much appreciated.

We will try the Tappan Zee route vs GW bridge route this time.

Last august, we spent almost 3hrs go traverse the GW at 11:30pm.  Ne'er again.

We are so much looking forward to staying at Ocean Waves CG.

take care
sal

Have a great trip.  Wish we were on our way to Ocean Waves too.  Great spot.  One of our favorites.

Thank you, all.

Looking forward to walking on the beach and some "fishing".......notice I said fishing not catching but that's just fine....

Sal

Arrived at ocean waves CG today....site 54....

Just our luck, we took the Tppan Zee route and it was open to 1 lane....geez...lost some time..head on the radio that the GW bridge was "clear through".....go figure...

In any case, the day here (14th) is jut gorgeous....

The kOA appears to have gootten the worst of Irene.

both Camp Hatteras And Ocean waves apprpear to be much fuller than last April (stayed at camp Hatteras).
Much more construction at KOA than I expected.

Tolls were murder...filled up with diesel on last service in NJ (south bound)...$3.959.

De, Va, NC. Seem about $4.06 to $4.19 although did see some at $4.29

Any way you shake it, it's just a big ripoff.

thanks
Sal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom