looking for "fun" RV lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrabbit

We love Ikea, and it is our primary source for lighting and storage.  I 'strongly dislike' most of the decor in rv's, especially the lights.  I would dearly love to replace the hard-wired light fixtures with something more contemporary (we have a flush-mount light above the couch and a wall-mounted lamp).  i would love to replace the lights in the bunk beds, too.  But where should I go to find non-traditional items to use in the RV?  there are outlets in some places, but it would seem more logical to replace with hard-wired lights.  i know the voltage is different in an RV from a house.

I am not an electrician, and I think y'all are the experts!
--janis

I have seen some that rewire the lamp base and put it in a home style fixture.

While I haven't done it, yet, I've thought about getting a standard flush mount light taking out the guts and putting in LED light strips in place of the standard light sockets.

LED light strips like these (white instead of blue though):

http://ledwholesalers.hostedbyamazon.com/Flexible-Lighting-Strip-LED-Ribbon/dp/B002Q93CGM?traffic_src=froogle&utm_med

Most RVs have both 12v and 110v.  I just switch out the ugly ones with 2 I found on sale.  One I used as is 110v and the other I switched over to 12 v.  Find a friend that can help you, it really is quite easy.  Paid $11 for the pair on clearance.

Another for LED strip lighting. It looks good and can be put wherever you want.

I am sure you will find that most if not all your lights inside the RV are 12V. Obviously for when you are not on electric hook up. If you are not sure turn everything off and check what it says on the bulb.

The LED strip lighting I am using is multi coloured, dimmable and with remote control. Anyone thinking of going down this route, just remember that the receiver connected to the lights will draw current even when they are switched off. Obviously it needs to be powered ready to receive a signal from the remote control. With this in mind I suggest you put a separate hard switch on the strip as well. Otherwise you will be draining your battery when off electric hook up.

Here is the UK sourced product I will be installing this weekend:

http://brightlightz.co.uk/categories/5050-rgb-colour-changing-strip

Best regards

Chris

yes, the trouble is that RV lighting is 12V ... However, we found LED strip lighting at Ikea that has a 12V connector!  DH switched one fixture already, and my headaches have been reduced dramatically.  Plus it is a much nicer light.

Great.  I can't attach a photo on my iPad.  And, Since rvforum doesn't allow links to my blog in my message, I guess you can't see the picture of the lighting result!

--janis

Great.  I can't attach a photo on my iPad.  And, Since rvforum doesn't allow links to my blog in my message, I guess you can't see the picture of the lighting result!

You can add a link to your blog in your signature!! Many have them.

jrabbit said:
yes, the trouble is that RV lighting is 12V ... However, we found LED strip lighting at Ikea that has a 12V connector!  DH switched one fixture already, and my headaches have been reduced dramatically.  Plus it is a much nicer light.

--janis

That looks great and easy to install!  thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom