A/C shroud off in the rain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

I am preparing to coat my EPDM roof and will be removing all vent Maxxair covers and A/C shrouds for the cleaning and prep process.  We are having frequent rains during this spring season.  I anticipate this being more than a one or two day process.  I'm still 74  :D

My question is;
If it rains while the shrouds are removed, do I need to cover the exposed a/c units to prevent water damage, to them, or water intrusion into the coach?

I would, there are electrical components in the roof top unit.  You could just put a tarp over the A/C and weight it down temporarily if it's going to rain.

Thanks, Ned

I'm thinking that maybe a heavy duty 30 gallon trash bag, with a draw string, will do the job.  I'm not looking forward to too many trips on and off the roof.

For the shrouds that I have seen, They don't appear to be weatherproof. I have seen RVs drive down the road with no shroud. I would imagine that the electrical connects on the roof are weatherproof. YMMV.

mrschwarz said:
For the shrouds that I have seen, They don't appear to be weatherproof. I have seen RVs drive down the road with no shroud. I would imagine that the electrical connects on the roof are weatherproof. YMMV.

Thanks, Michael
I'll know more when I get up there and remove them.  I've also seen units with no shroud, but assumed they just recently blew off and the owner hadn't had time to replace them.  I also think the electrical components may be somewhat protected.  The shrouds are fairly open to the elements on several sides.

Far from weatherproof, there are Molex type connectors and push on types for things like the start and run capacitors.

I'll definitely try the trash bags.  It would take a pretty strong wind to rip one off, or open, if I tape it up to minimize flapping.

The plan is set in place ;) :D

FWIW... My Coleman units had no electrical wiring/plugs etc. outside the sheet-metal box housing the innards.

I removed some of the panels to check inside. They were very secure with over-lapping edges. I wondered about that at the time and came to the conclusion that any rain or other moisture would have a tough time getting inside.
  However, Lou. The garbage bag idea sounds good to me. go Man go...

Take care, Carson

The electrical components in mine (Coleman Mach) are inside a metal box, so still protected even with shroud removed. The shroud doesn't protect beans from weather anyway - it is more holes than cover! Basically all it does is keep tree branches out of the fan.

Thanks, guys.  My units are Coleman so I'm feeling better about weathering any lengthy period of time with this project.

Back
Top Bottom