My Remodel Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipepro

Just got back home from Florida after a winter stay, and on the way I pulled up to MH just like mine, same model, year, paint job, and make. Wow was I and the other owner surprised. Well he let me in his and I saw his remodel and was quite impressed. He got a chance to remember what his looked like before he remodeled. So a couple days ago I started my project. When you are the 3rd owner of a MH there are alot of things you find, some good , some not so good (as per my post in Tech Talk). I took the booths out, and the chair out, and the sofa/bed out, then I took the captains chairs out. OMG the bolts through the frame thank God I have an impact gun. Next I took the carpeting out, and padding, and even peeled up the linoleum. To my dismay, I found just the outside of the bathroom in the hallway water damaged wood ( I always wondered why I had this bounce in my step on the way to bed. I cut out the bad section and I will patch next with 5/8 plywood not the pressed board they used for base. I can only imagine what happened, but I remember the guy that I bought it from so proud that he installed a new toilet. I can see it now, he set the toilet down on the hallway floor and must have spilled water and just thought heck that will dry up. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to ideas. Where the chair was next to the door I plan on putting a wood computer table and affixing it to the wall. I am only putting the booth w/seatbelts back in and adding a freestanding chair to be used at dining table and PC table. take a look  at before and now pics. I plan on thin cut marble for the bathroom floor.

Attachments

• DSC00490.JPG
    DSC00490.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 516
  • Dsc00732.jpg
    Dsc00732.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 464
  • Dsc00733.jpg
    Dsc00733.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 399
  • Dsc00738.jpg
    Dsc00738.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 421
Going to be fun!  Looking forward to more pics..  I am gutting mine and starting from the ground up..  It's fun to make new from old :)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Those around last January will remember the TV installation I did on the wall behind the booth, that was a fun project. I have read some of the posts about flooring. I believe the best advice seems to be engineered flooring or (correct me if I'm wrong) laminate flooring free floating. I can see that free floating would not crack from expansion and contraction (again correct me if I'm wrong). Do I need to add another layer of plywood or am I safe in using the OSB as a base??? I have an extra box of the hardwood flooring we used in our home (see pic) I would love to use that but for sure I would have to put in a sub floor.

Attachments

• Dsc00683.jpg
    Dsc00683.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Dsc00739.jpg
    Dsc00739.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 388
If it were me I would stick with a vinyl plank floor system like Allure. The real wood floor to me doesn't make sense in an RV. With all of the temperature changes and people tracking in water from outside I would always be worried about my floor.

Wow this is why I love this site. Shakenbake I checked out home depot and looked at that allure and read the specs I think that is absolutely what I am going to do. Thank so much for your input.  ;D

That wood is nice looking material. If it is engineered, install it- will make your rig look great.

You can float engineered flooring but again it has a layer of hardwood on top which can be damaged.. Underneath is only plywood.  It is for above and below grade in homes yes..  With the twisting and moving though I would be afraid it would separate.  Vinyl Plank, or something similar.  Mannington makes a great product that would look great as well.

It is LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile).  It comes in Tile or plank form...  It is called Adura.

http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura.aspx

I have sold this before and also installed it in the past.  IT IS GREAT!!!!  tough as nails as well.  The nice thing about this is you can install the plank wood looking stuff in the main area and switch to tile in the bathroom area with no difference in height.  Also they have grout you can use for the tile or you can butt it up square and have no grout.  Your call.

This is what I plan to use in mine.

We have engineered wood in the kitchen and Bath.  Ernie E. installed about 4 years ago and it is doing fine, no problems and looks great.

Mannington Adura is some of the best luxury vinyl planks/tile out on the market

The Adura is about a $1 more per sq. ft than Allure and both are for indoor use in a temperature controlled environment. The temperature controlled environment scares me. Long periods of sitting idle with a temperature range of upper 30's to upper 80's until I store the home for the most severe part of the Northeast Ohio weather (November, December, and January before the Florida trip). In all the posts I read Ernie keeps popping up so I know you do this alot. I appreciate all the input and choices. The boss says no to the hardwood flooring we used in our home as it is sensitive to spills (we both have pretty bad arthritis in our hands and drop things alot.)
So is it apples and oranges with Adura and Allure? If I do 4 ft of the hallway 26" wide and the kitchen/dining area 6'x8' and a 2'x6' runway to the captains chairs how much will I need. Also can you cut this vinyl material on a table saw?

The Adura will last in all different temps. I used it in my Garage Shop and had no issues (I Got a bunch for free :)  )

Useually the tiles come in either 12x12 or 18x18..  You will have to go and look at it at the store and see what sizes they can get you.  It uses a really good adhesive as well to hold it down.  Nice thing is with this stuff is if you have one that gets damaged (probably wont happen), then you use a heat gun, warm up the tile, lift it off and put the new one back down.  DONE!  It's a pressure sensitive glue

As  for cutting you can use a utility knife and score and snap, you can use a table saw, jig saw, hand saw.    We even had them water jet cut and did some really fancy inlays..

If you need any other help about the Adura, let me know...

Dezi

Well I made the leap and puchased the Allure at 2.98 sq. ft. The Adura that I liked was $5.25 per sq. plus I went to a floor dealer who is a friend and he sells the Adura. He said that the adura is way better than the Allure but he didn't think I needed the better stuff in my MH due to a lack of traffic. Thank You very much dezmond. attached is my choice Chateau Parquet. So now all I have to do is get started on it when it arrives in a week.

Attachments

• 41cc402d-1edd-4079-8381-ef322ce0ade8_300.jpg
    41cc402d-1edd-4079-8381-ef322ce0ade8_300.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 196
That's a really nice pattern!!!  Will look really good down..  Not too dark so it will make the room(s) feel bigger too!

Hope all goes well with the install.

Glad you found something that you like. I am very happy with mine. I'm in Ohio as well. Just north of Cincy.

Well I'm on the Northcoast by the Lake. Here are some pics of the PC table I made to replace the chair. I made it out of one piece of Hickory faced plywood 2'x4' from Home Depot, it isn't attached to the wall or finished sanding and staining yet.

Attachments

• Dsc00746.jpg
    Dsc00746.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Dsc00747.jpg
    Dsc00747.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 198
Well finally the flooring came in, and my son and I did it this evening. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• Dsc00753.jpg
    Dsc00753.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Dsc00754.jpg
    Dsc00754.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Dsc00755.jpg
    Dsc00755.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 174
Well after a lot of work we have the unveiling. Tell me what you think Pics attached

Attachments

• Dsc00761.jpg
    Dsc00761.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Apdc0131.jpg
    Apdc0131.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 201
  • Dsc00762.jpg
    Dsc00762.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Apdc0134.jpg
    Apdc0134.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 189
Hard surface looks great. Get rid of the carpet on your steps and add some rubber, commercial stair treads. That carpet will look good for a week.

to really jazz up your entry- get some stainless steel risers for your steps. talk about a stylish look ;D

Back
Top Bottom