"Bouncy ride"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wb6kwt

My newly purchased 2004 30' Brave seems to be pretty bouncy and a little hard to keep it in my lane. It has Monroe shocks and airbags but I'm not sure how much air should be in the airbags. Right now they have about 27lbs of air in each. The rig is lightly loaded at this time, so how much air should I put in the bags? I suppose I could have the shocks replace but I'd rather get some advice from you guys first.

Thanks,

Bob

First thing I would do is have your mh weighed ready to go and adjust the air pressure in your tires according to the weight tables for your tires. If you are running tires inflated to the maximum rating on the tire, this could be giving you the bounce you are experiencing. Even before you get a chance to weigh it, check and see if your tires are inflated to more than what the placard next to the driver specifies.

27 pounds isn't much to have in air bags.

I run 22# in my front Firestone Airbags, don't have any on the back. 

Yep, Dennis hit it on the head. You may be surprised how much you may be over inflated. The truly best weight would be a "four corner" weight, where each wheel position is weighed separately. Then you would use the weight from the heaviest tire on the axle to set the air pressure.

A per axle weight is the next best thing. 

After you weight you vehicle and inflate bags and tires properly and still have a bumpy ride, check your stabilizer shock, ball joints and upper arm rods. Also adjust your steering components. It took me some time and money to figure out that stability and ride comfort is due to many factors in the suspension and steering departments. I did noticed an improvement in stability just by changing shock brands to Bilstein.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom