rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Anyone ever towed a Rav4?  (Read 30355 times)

lvlyfun

• ---
Anyone ever towed a Rav4?
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »
I've got a 2001 manual Rav4. I want to tow it behind the rig I can barely drive now, "just in case" I might need it, and for of course, in town adventures later. Does anyone know how you can safely tow this type of vehicle?

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Anyone ever towed a Rav4?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
According to Remco, your RAV4 is towable as is.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »
I've been towing a 2002 RAV4 for several years, and except for the steeper hills, wouldn't know it was back there if I couldn't see it on the rear view monitor. I've just finished stripping all of the tow gear from the 2002 in preparation for installing everything on our 2011 RAV4. The 2011 uses a different base plate, but everything else will move right over. 
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
So you just dinghy towed it and all was well? No adjustments made? I've heard some horror stories of tranny's going out and such and I can't afford a big boo boo like that. Really can't.  :-\

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
Follow the instructions in the owner's manual for towing 4 down and you'll not have any problems.  The occasions of transmission failure are rare and are almost always due to a failure to follow the proper procedure when setting up for towing.  We have towed 3 different vehicles for over 130,000 miles and have never had a transmission problem, as have thousands of other RVers.
2007 GMC Canyon

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
As Ned said, set it up properly for towing and you won't have any problems. Your standard transmission will be just fine being towed in neutral. The automatic transmissions used in the RAV4's are a different story though, and cannot be towed four down unless an electric pump made for the purpose, is added to circulate the fluid. You do need to have a base plate installed for connecting the tow bar, along with added wiring to connect the RAV's brake, tail, and directional lights to the motorhome's lights. I also highly recommend an auxiliary brake system be installed. I use a ReadyBrute towbar system that includes an integrated brake system, with a base plate from Blue Ox. 
Dutch

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
Can't tow a rav 4 all wheel drive as is......mine is all wheel drive. :( I have to get a darn car hauler and those are pricey.....I'm totally bummed!

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Ahh! That is a bummer. Remco doesn't list the RAV4 AWD standard, so it slipped right by me.
Dutch

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:20:13 AM »
You didn't state AWD originally.  You can tow it but it will need a lube pump from Remco.  I think that would be simpler than a trailer.
2007 GMC Canyon

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
She has a standard transmission, Ned. There's no lube pump available. I have Remco's lube pump for my automatic AWD. I think the problem is with the transfer case lubrication on the standard.
Dutch

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
She said standard transmission in the first post and AWD yesterday.  So which is it?  Is there such a thing as AWD manual transmission?
2007 GMC Canyon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
I thought the manual transmission with 4 wheel drive had a regular manual transfer case. 4WD is NOT the same as AWD!  From what I can find online, in 2001 the Rav4 manual transmission has a locking center differential which the driver controlled. Not the electronic controlled all wheel drive system that managed the power transfer between front and rear axles on it s own, as in the automatic with AWD.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:57:33 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
Both of my automatic RAV4's are labeled "4WD". The 2011 has a "Lock" switch for the center differential that disengages above 25 MPH, but my 2002 doesn't have that. I don't think the 2001 standard 4WD or AWD has a neutral position transfer case.
Dutch

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »
I'm just trying to find a way to tow this 01 Rav4 AWD (which weighs 3104).......so I found myself a car hauler at a decent price and now some guy is saying that it will be too much weight to pull behind my RV. So now I'm running around my lovely online numbers to find out how much weight I can pull. (talk about pissing me off) So I called Skyline and they said they only made the box. Then they sent me to the Chassis maker (Chevy).....and I called them and they don't even have my VIN on file anymore cause it's so old. So they did some looking into it and the GVWR is 23501-26000, so my question is what is the weight on the dang box lol. I'm going in circles. I don't think this should be that hard. I only want to tow my car in the case my RV goes out. I feel like brick walls are needing to be torn down like yesterday......and I'm going to be tearing big time. Don't worry guys, you aren't the only ones racking your brains on this one, and I do appreciate all your help.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
What year/make/model coach are we talking about?  None of the older Chevy chassis have a GVWR anywhere near 23,000 lbs. 17,000 would be closer. Even the newer Workhorse chassis is normally 22,000 lbs.

GVWR isn't the only data you need - you also need GCWR (see the RV Forum Glossary for help) and the actual weight. Then you need to learn the hitch rating as well. No standard Chevy motorhome chassis before about 2000 has a tow rating over 5000 lbs and most are either 3500 or 4000.  Odds are heavy that a trailer plus the car will be more than your coach can handle.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:19:56 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
1982 Skyline Jamme II (Chevy Chassis). I'm seriously going to have to post a video soon of what I did record so maybe you guys will see something I didn't...Which would be nice :)

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
Really unfortunate your continuing to have so many problems, seriously sounding similar to that movie a number of years ago... The Money Pit.  There is also something else that comes to mind called the 'Sunk Fallacy'.  At some point maybe your going to seriously pause and consider if this RV is going to be manageable for you.  Best of luck, hopefully you can get this all worked out.
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

Tombstonejim

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
There is no way the GVWR of that G30 is any where close to 23500. I don't have the specs for a G30 but I do have them for a P30 (thats the class A frame)  and a 137in wheelbase P30 has a GVWR of 12,300  If you go a 178 in wheelbase you go to a  GVWR of 16500.

The max GCWR of a P30 is 21,000.   

Who ever gave you those numbers just made them up or took them from whatever he could find when he could not identify the ones for your G30.
2000 Holiday Rambler, Endeavor 35
towing Jeep Wrangler or Liberty

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Ok the hauler weighs 1500. My car weighs 3104. I think I'm within the 5000 lb towing capacity at 4604. :) I think the man upstairs is on my side on this one. I'll let you all know how it all turns out.......so far so good, even though I'm getting negativity on every board I'm posting on....(which can be kind of intimidating)...I'm pushing through.

Tombstonejim

• ---
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
I think I have read all of your threads.   I sympathise and hope you get the thing where it is usable.

But, some facts of life.

The thing is 30 years old. That classfies for antique plates in most states. Here in Az you could license it as a historic vehicle.

Because of that parts, parts list and shop manuals have long disappeared except for generic RV parts.
Most RV dealers don't want to have to deal with that and prefer that you take it to some small shop and let them try and work out the problems.

RV's use a lot of plastic and by its nature plastic gets brittle with age and just seems to turn to a pile of chips when stressed.  Driving the RV stresses the plastic.

My current RV is 12 years old and I have the same problems. Everytime I drive it or get ready to use it something is broke.  Cabinet latches, switches, and plumbing parts just fail.  Fortunately I have turned wrenches on everything from bicycles to helicopters so I can usually fix it.

My current problem is awnings. They just seem to turn to threads everytime I role one out.

You are going to have the same problem with a car hauler when and if you get it.   Tires, lights and brakes are going to be in a constant state of broke.

You need to find a sugar daddy who owns a garage.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »
I think you are pushing your luck well beyond the envelope. There is almost no chance that a 1982 Skyline Jamme II has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs and you have no data that remotely suggests that it does. There is a very real chance that a 4500+ lb trailer load will break the hitch receiver away from the chassis, or that you will suffer  a transmission or driveshaft/universal failure if towing very far.  In my opinion you are letting your wishes overrule good sense.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

shakenbake

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
For the safety of you and your family please take the advice of the seasoned professional that posted above me.

Tombstonejim

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
I still think you may have been misinformed about towing the RAV4.     Remco says all maual transmissions are towable 4 down.     Have you checked with them?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:12:03 AM by Tombstonejim »

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »
Ok here's the specs. :) Yes I'm doing my homework.

Canadian built
General Motors
Chevy Truck Incomplete
10000-14000 GVWR
Chevy Van
1 Ton
5.7 L V8
Made in Scarborough ON

Curb weight of a Toyota Rav4 2001 is actually less than I thought, it's 2887. So if you add that to 1500 (tongue weight maximum of 155lbs) it's 4387. Well below 5000 lbs. If a 1 ton pickup truck can't tow that then what's the reason for making them?

I'll look now into the 4 down but I've done a lot of research and found major horror stories of Tranny's going out and not being covered by Toyota. Being my vehicle is no longer under warranty I'd rather not chance it (unless I got them recorded saying that it's fine). I even contacted Remco, la towing experts and they recommended 4 up over 4 down. I also asked them about towing my car behind my motorhome....they said it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't give them GVWR or any of that.

I even know that my motorhome was number 111, 337 in production :) So I'm learning. And yes I'm listening to all of you...I'm not just discounting your expert seasoned advice.

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
I called Toyota Directly, and they said NO you cannot tow a 2001 Rav4, it has to have all 4 off the ground. So luckily I still got the car hauler. Now I'm on the phone with Chevy to find out what the towing capacity is to my year make and model.....someone has to give me some correct information. They said I should be fine towing the amount I stated....just now need to make it feasible to work with breaks on the trailer..

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Here's some help in calculating your numbers:

CGVWR (combined gross vehicle weight rating)  This is what the motor home weights PLUS what it can tow safely according to the manufacturer.
GVWR  (What the motor home weights by itself, fully loaded with water/propane and all your stuff)  The way to get the true weight is to have it weighted at a scale.

When you subtract the GVWR from the CGVWR that is the true number you are working with and the number you need to find.  As long as that number is greater or equal to what you want to tow, you should be fine.  HOWEVER, many hitches on gas engine motor homes are rated for only 3500-4000 lbs.  If you go over that weight, you will have to replace your hitch with one that can handle more weight.

The reason we (especially the staff here) continually preach checking your numbers is because it does make a difference in how the motor home handles and wears.  If your numbers work out that you can pull a trailer with the RAVA4 on it, you most assuredly need a braking system.  Another reason we are so emphatic on running the numbers is that the lawyers in an accident, whether you are responsible or not, will check to make sure you and all your equipment are correct and did not add to the accident.

FWIW, when I began pulling horse trailers I drove a Ford 150 gas truck and pulled a heavy load of horses, equipment and feed.  Within 2 years, I ran through 2 sets of brakes, and a transmission all because I thought I knew better than all the other horse people telling me I would have trouble.  It cost me 2 trucks, the F150 and the new Chevy 3500 1ton I bought 2 years later.

Run the numbers!
Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
Marsha!!! No one ever mentioned CGVWR to me! I am in love with ya and I don't even know ya ;) .  I've been looking for this information all day. I do know my trailer+car equals 4387, that's below the 5000 lb tow capacity for a Chevy G30. Trust me I don't want to run into trouble at all which is why I'm going over everything I can. Now to get my rig weighed dry. I'm already on top of installing the break stuff that is needed to work the breaks on the trailer. Now I'm off to find the info on CGVWR......that's what I need to find and I think once I get my motorhome back I'll figure it out fast. :) TY again. Wonderful info!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
lvlyfun, just for clarification, that's GCWR. Click the Glossary button above to read an explanation of Gross Combined Weight Rating.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Tom, in the horse world they use CGVWR, so I reverted to my old horse days.  As long as people realize they need to know how to calculate the numbers; and what to calculate.

lvlyfun, Don't weight the motor home "dry", you need to load it up with your stuff, water food etc.  The dry weight that is given by the manufacturers does not reflect what you will have in the motor home.

Have fun!
Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Marsha. I learned something new again today. Maybe I need to add that one to our Glossary  ???
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
The standard nomenclature, i.e. as it appears on the federally required weight placard and as defined in federal vehicle regulations, is GCWR.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
You have no evidence that the tow capacity is 5000 lbs.  But you will have, yea or nay, after a year of towing. Good luck!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »
Good advice Marsha! So fill it up with water and propane and gas and then weigh? That way if I'm not over on the weight there then I certainly wouldn't be dry! (and most the places we plan to go will have water and electric). As I said before . . . You Rock! TY

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Not just water, propane and gas, but everything that you will be carrying when traveling, including passengers.
2007 GMC Canyon

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Right on Ned. Will you please do some research on a Chevy G30 and the towing capacity? I'm pretty sure it's 5000 lbs, but since I'm getting a few different feedbacks on here I'd like to know what you find. TY in advance...

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
I have no idea what the towing capacity of your chassis would be.  I know your coach is old, but there still should be a sticker with the relevant weight capacities on it somewhere in the coach.  It's usually up near the driver's position, but may also be inside a cabinet.  The towing capacity may also be limited by the coach manufacturer and not just by the chassis.
2007 GMC Canyon

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »
I'm gonna check a cabinet that I know has all the manufacturer information.......it has to be in there somewhere.....still can't just up and do that being it's at the RV shop at the moment, but I do recall taking video of it and I think I saw the GVWR somewhere in there, but I didn't just stop and get a good shot at it. (I might drive down there tomorrow just to check that out. TY This is what I found on the Chevy G30 http://www.carmax.com/enus/specifications-equipment/1996-chevrolet-g30-197.html It might be a different year, but everything else is the same......soooo?

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
Towing capacity more than twice the curb weight? And 10000/0 -- what does that really mean?

If the 3809/0 for payload means the payload is 3809 lbs, then added to the 4791 lbs. curb weight you get 8600 lbs. max vehicle weight. A 10K towing capacity is unreasonable for that total vehicle max weight. I think their figures are way off, or the 10000/0 has a different meaning (but what?)...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
Ok I found the placard. The GVWR is 10,500 but it doesn't say what the GCWR is. Where do I find this info? I'm happy to inform everyone as well that yes, my motorhome has a hitch to tow, now it's just a matter determining how much it can tow. (It does have two radiators/fans) as well, so I think that's to cool the tranny. Now off to find the GCWR.

firehose

• ---
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Ok I found the placard. The GVWR is 10,500 but it doesn't say what the GCWR is. Where do I find this info

It should be on the same placard.  Also, my GVWR is 10,500, same as yours.  My GCWR is 14,000.  Your's may or may not be different, but maybe this gives you a ballpark number. 

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
Ok I found the placard. The GVWR is 10,500 but it doesn't say what the GCWR is. Where do I find this info? I'm happy to inform everyone as well that yes, my motorhome has a hitch to tow, now it's just a matter determining how much it can tow. (It does have two radiators/fans) as well, so I think that's to cool the tranny. Now off to find the GCWR.
Look for a placard on the hitch itself.  It won't tell you what the MH tow rating is, but if found, it should tell you the limits of the hitch, which is probably (s/b) less than that of the MH itself.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
Firehose....can you tow and how much if so?

firehose

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
Firehose....can you tow and how much if so?

Hi lvlyfun, I am new to RVing and do not tow currently.  I've taken interest in this thread because I am learning as well..

From what I understand, since my GCWR is 14,000, that is the max I could tow and carry in the RV.  Meaning, if I weigh 10,000, without the tow, I could only tow up to 4,000 lbs.   This confuses me somewhat, because a car being towed supports it's own weight.  It seems it's pull on the engine at that point.  My little 19 foot RV has a Ford 460.  It has a lot of power for a smaller RV, this engine, seems like it could tow a mountain.  I would be surprised if I could only tow a small vehicle behind it.

Again, I'm learning too.  It is great fun. 

I believe I'm thinking like a towboater.  I work on tugboats and sometimes our boats tow 6 million pounds of product over the water.  But that's over the water.  I gotta think like a land towboater now. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:48:36 PM by firehose »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
My little 19 foot RV has a Ford 460.  It has a lot of power for a smaller RV, this engine, seems like it could tow a mountain.

If pulling power were the only consideration, you might be right.  But there is strength of the frame and remainder of the drive train (tranny, etc.), braking capability, relative vehicle lengths (don't let the tail wag the dog), supporting the tongue weight, etc.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »
Firehose.......does yours have two radiators? Mine does. Which makes me think they towed something with it before. It's got a hitch already as well, so I'm thinking it's there for some reason, and back in 1982 cars weren't 2887lbs lol they were made of some big metal. I think I can and I'm gonna try it out on a small trial run as soon as I get my RV back from the dump that has it now (they are fixing what I already paid to have fixed and they didn't do it).  Beyond that my rig is pretty much new, yet I would like to replace the carpet with tile, but linoleum would be cheaper and lighter. Either way I intend on enjoying my time away from home this summer. Nuttin better than sitting by a fire making money :) 

shakenbake

• ---
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 06:24:19 AM »
What you are most likely seeing is a radiator and a AC Condenser. It looks kind of like a radiator but has nothing to do with the cooling of the engine. Sometimes there may be a smaller oil cooler or tranny cooler that also looks like a small radiator.

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
But it's there to cool something else yes? Which means it's probably for the transmission : ) Which makes me smile. And yes, it is a little smaller.

shakenbake

• ---
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
If it is the AC condenser is doesn't help with cooling the engine down. If it is a tranny cooler then yes it will help with towing. You can find out by following the lines coming out of it. That will let you know what that "radiator" goes to so you dont have to guess.

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
I am laughing so hard right now. On the placard it says clearly that the GVWR is 10500 and I'm on the phone with GM themselves and they are saying it's 23-26000. Can't wait to see what they come up with on the towing capacity lol and when I asked for the GCWR they seemed lost........like what is that "We've never heard of that" they said. I swear too goodness according to them I have a semi truck ha ha ha ha ha

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/LD-guide-web/changes.htm  here's a website that is very informational. I also found that to get to the GCWR you add the curb weight, allowable payload, driver and passengers weight and the trailer weight. Anyone know if this is true? P.S. they asked me for a model number and there is no model number. It's very annoying to me.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
The GCVWR is a specific number for your vehicle like the GVWR, independent of what you will be towing.  It is used to calculate what weight trailer you can tow.
2007 GMC Canyon

firehose

• ---
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
Beyond that my rig is pretty much new, yet I would like to replace the carpet with tile, but linoleum would be cheaper and lighter.

You could replace the carpet with pergo lamanent flooring.  That's what the previous owners of my rig did.  I really like it.  It looks like real wood flooring, yet doesn't have the weight, and is easy to clean.  I added a couple of rugs that are easy to shake out.  All in all, takes me just a few minutes to sweep the floors and shake out the rugs.  I like a clean RV. 

I appreciate the comments on towing, in this thread.  I don't plan to tow, currently, but the knowledge is helpful.  This is my first time owning a vehicle with a v8.  The 460, wants to go...she wants to run.  I feel like my 4 cylinder engine days are over, and I need to tame the beast under the hood.   

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:12:29 PM by firehose »

lvlyfun

• ---
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »
If you have a 22 ft motorhome, what is the length of the chassis?

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
I have this exact problem. No GCWR listed, only GVWR. Questionable hitch. Lot's of contradictory information. I will post my questions in a new post: "Towing with a 1989 Winne Warrior".

K and J

• ---
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
Keith, Joyce & Blue the cattle dog
Foretravel U320 Extreme

old_as_dirt

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
Just to put a bow on this....I know its a very old thread, but someone (like me) might be searching for info.

The 2001 RAV4 is towable four-down in any configuration; 2wd/4wd, Automatic or manual  (speed limit 55/max distance until starting engine:200 miles)

See page 172 of the owner's manual for confirmation.  It is only the 2001 year.