Need some idea's for first long trip. CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barryn514

We are leaving on May 12th and returning on May 19th out of San Diego.  We have made reservations at Sequoia RV Ranch just out of Three Rivers but after reading some post regarding hwy travel, am re-thinking our plans. I have heard that 99 and 198 are not good routes and the road to Three Rivers is tight and has switch backs.  Keep in mind that RVing is new to us and we just bought a 31' and not use to driving on county roads yet.

We heard about this place and my wife loves to fish and our space is right on a creek and SUPPOSE to have fish in it.  We would like to stay within the 350 mile range from San Diego as not to spend all our time traveling.

Like I said, we started RVing this past Aug and have only stayed at some local places. Santee Lakes, Chula Vista KOA and Chula Vista Marine/RV and my wife likes them all.  Not sure if she will really like the back woods type of camping. :)

We love to find a place on a river so she can fish and have nice amenities as well, such as pool and store. :)

Any thought would be gateful!'

Thanks as always!

From 99 to Three Rivers 198 is four lane then good two lane. You should have no issues with 198. What I call a "good" two is one with decent width and good shoulders (mostly paved shoulders). There are some curves, but nothing serious until AFTER Three River in Sequoia NP.

99 is rough - either go slow and grin and bear-it or you could take I-5 to 41 and catch 198 at Lemoore.

Your other option is route 65 from just north of Bakersfield to 198 east of Visalia. Mostly two lane. Never driven it, but it looks OK on Google Earth. I will probably try this route in the future, but then I like two lane roads as long as they aren't narrow with no shoulders.

ken

June lake is a beautiful place to stay. Oh Ridge campground is a dry campground but has a beautiful view of the lake.  There is also a nice RV park next door to Oh Ridge if you want full hookups.  Oh Ridge is in the Inyo county, Space 1&2 are nice and level and have a nice view of the lake.  Check the weather, may be a nice choice to go later in the season, we go in the fall after the kids go back to school. 

Barryb514,

Here is a set of places to visit that a friend of mine sent me just last week.

I have been in many places, but I've never been in-Cahoots.  Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone else.

I've also never been in-Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in-Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there.  I have made several trips there, thanks to my friends, family and work.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump there and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in-Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in-Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I visit in-Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in-Suspense!  It really gets the adrenalin flowing and pumps up the old heart!

I may have been in-Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing.

So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

JerryF

99 is rough - either go slow and grin and bear-it or you could take I-5 to 41 and catch 198 at Lemoore.

Ken, we may take the I-5 to the 41 as you suggested, it is 52 miles to Visalia. I know that I-5 is better than 99. LOTS of truck on 99 the last few times I've been that way.

As a complete alternative my I suggest either Lake Nacimiento or San Antonio accessible via US101 just north of San Luis Obispo.  I have enjoyed good lake fishing there from blue gills thru to striped bass.  Fair amount of camping. 

Another alternative, even nearer, is Lake Casitas just outside of Ojai.  They have deluxe albeit pricey RV hook ups available and world class large mouth bass fishing -- I believe the #2 or 3 record bass comes from the lake. 

Warning:  All CA lakes are mobbed at Memorial Day -- reserve and reserve early.

One lake that does not take reservations is Lake Cachuma next to Solvang and Santa Ynez.  Get there on a week day -- Monday thru Thursday -- and that first come first served policy can work for you.    Fishing is trout and cats.  Lots of nature tours and critters like wild turkey are found at the CG. 

When we lived in Bakersfield we loved to camp at 3-Rivers and we always took highway 65.  That would save you a lot of time, miles & gas over going I-5 to 41.  If you should decide to take 101 S, then take 46 E to 65 N.  If time allows & you enjoy small coastal townsout of LA take 101 N to San Luis Obispo, then N on 1 to Morro Bay & Cayusos then 1 N to 46 E to 101 N thur Paso Robles then back on 46 E.  Happy Travels, Dick

If you plan on heading to the coastal areas check out the Vines RV Resort in Paso Robles. http://www.vinesrvresort.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom