Took the old Eagle for a drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Who was Margi referring to when she said "Two of the most intelligent human beings I know on this planet"  ???

I sure wouldn't claim to be one of those human beings  ;)

Ned Reiter and Gary Brink. I rest my case!  Oh, dear, now I guess I'll have to list all you other intelligent guys and gals.  ;D ;D ;D

Ok, we are at it again.  We ordered all new clearance lights for the roof, the othes are ok but these have sundried gaskets and cracked or discolored lenses.  They are riveted on so  he has to get those out. On one site I found a vintage replacement set for the amber, last one left, they are teardropped shaped.  The back we had to just find something close.

Then Tom put in my new American Eagle assist handle, of course a must have!

He put the motorhome up on the jacks and was going to get under it to see if the mechanic had done what he said and also to start hooking up the brakes for my toad.  I threw a fit and said NOT until you put those new heavy duty jack stands under it first.  He may have good life insurance through his employer but I have no interest in collecting on it, I want him around, thank you.  ;D  He thought a bit and said I think you are right and put them under there.  I just get a nervous wreck him getting under this one as I've seen how low it can go, now I'm happy.

Of course he is missing one fitting for the toad braking system, but he said there is a lot to do before he gets to it.

I'm hoping he can get that done and get the window mechanisms in at least.  I will be happy if he can get those 2 items done.

The dryer vent  cover had a small bar out and as I said before a bird had built a nest in there.  I started pulling it out.  Oh my gosh, the nest wasn't small but the dryer lint was tightly packed in there, I don't think it has ever been cleaned.  The vent cover was riveted so likely why.  I pulled gobs and gobs of link out of it all the way back to the dryer itself, that is sure scarey and I bet it didn't dry worth a flip either. Because the ends of the little louvered cover are broke he is buying a new one and going to try and find spray paint to match it.  We are taking the louvers out of a new one and putting them in the old one.

I need to address the water filter too and I got my new icemaker bucket and put it in, I know the icemaker cools, hope it makes ice also.

I'm about ready to pressurize the water system again.  We have a toilet stool leak, its letting the water leak out of the bowl and run into the black tank, all kinds of little stuff like that.

Tom and I are also going to drain the cooling system clean the fins and refill with antifreeze and water. Hope to get most stuff done and back to the mechanic again to finish out a few things unless we do it.  Hopefully his work this time and another trip to the mechanic will finish things out.

The tv Satellite system is all up and running, good deal.

Attachments

• Assist Handle.JPG
    Assist Handle.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 56
I wish I could get that black stuff, mold off the rubber gasket around the motorhome door, I've tried everything, any ideas?

I will get Tom to take the Eagle out for a run one day while he is home. It is so nice to have him home, I really miss him.  But we have a certain goal we want to reach.  We both think we could easily live to be in our 90's or older.  My dads sisters all made it to their mid 90's with one over 100, moms sister to their mid 80's and one approaching her 90's. 

Tom has grandmas that made it to their 90's and his dad to 82 or so.  We want to make sure we can enjoy the next 20 plus years or so, we figure if not both at least one of us will make it.  People are just living longer and we don't want to have a life where we are pinching ever penny. I keep saying I can do this for another couple of years.  He has told me I need to slow down on working and not killing myself but if I slow down I'm afraid my arthritus will slow me down even more.

But life is good, we will be fine no matter what, and he has changed enough I know we will enjoy ourselves once he is home for good, we are now.

That gasket is very easy to replace and a roll is fairly inexpensive.  I scrubbed like crazy, never happy with results.  Bought the roll, popped old out, new in, and it was well worth it.

Be sure you have replacement first!

Today Tom got the commode fixed.  He took the valve off and it was just dirty, he cleaned and replaced it so no more running toilet.

We have been messing with the W/D, only problem is the door is really hard to unlatch, I oiled neither of us can see why that is so, doesn't seem to be a reason we can find.  We can't find a manual anywhere its a Kariaba very old.  So Tom ran some clothes through a partial cycle, seems to do ok, we didn't let it run through the whole dry cycle but I will tomorrow to see how it does.  They weren't totally dry.  I want to see if I can clean down inside the back of the unit just in case, like I said I pulled handfuls of lint out of the dryer hose, I'm wondering if it could be in the back of the dryer too.  The hose isn't long so I should be able to get my long fridge brush bent and down inside there.  It may be fine but I want to make sure.  It could not have dried anything the way it was before.

I'm going to open the outside vent and see if the fridge needs those coils cleaned.  I pulled the grill off the bottom of the icemaker and the dirt was packed on the coils, I brushed it off, will clean with the vacuum.

Tom took the old microwave/convention oven out, it didn't work.  The new one is the right size but he is having a time.  He got one long screw fastened but he can't hit the mark on the second.  We can't see where they go in at all.  I told him today to forget it, he was getting tired, tomorrow is another day. I suggested he mark the end of the screw with chalk and then tilt it down and see if we can see where its missing the mark.  I knew that would be horrible to put in. So we stopped and went out for Mexican instead, seemed like the thing to do!

The icemaker is good and cold, don't know if it will make ice, I stuck my finger in and didn't feel water, he said be careful it didn't catch my finger. There may be a turn off valve for it. will check tomorrow. I found the temp control on it.  So we made some progress today.

Waiting on new clearance lights, they are ordered and also windshield washer switch.

It's just a myriad of routine little things that have been let go for a long time. I suppose.

We have decided to just jump the electric to the inverter powered receptacles for now, as hubby says when he has time to putter he will fix that part but this will work fine for now. So moving right along.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I wish I could get that black stuff, mold off the rubber gasket around the motorhome door, I've tried everything, any ideas?

Try the spray on Tilex.  Don't leave it on too long though.

Ordered our new mattress for the motorhome.  Got it from www.replacement-mattress.com/rv/mattresses

I had ordered from them for the first motorhome we had.  We thought the mattresses were great.  They come tightly rolled up, shipping is $40.  You can get any size and shape made for your TT or motorhome.  It takes a day for the mattress to lie flat.  It has a nice covering and we thought really comfortable.  I did get the 5 inch ones for the cabover bed in that first one and thought not as comfortable but would be for children or a lighter weight person I'm sure. ::)

So that should be coming soon.

And I will try the Tilex on that trim.

Not doing anything this morning, I'm taking DD for her weekly allergy shots and some shopping.  Tom had to go to a rent house for a faucet leak at a sink, something came loose.  Thankfully those things usually happen when he is home.  Will get busy when we get back home.

He got my microwave/convection oven in.  He said he had to take the one screw out and I guess put it in again, must have had to reposition it.  I think the only difference is this one is a bit deeper and it works!  I have a nice fan, good light.  Never used one so have to familiarize myself with it.

I finally realized the icemaker had no water as the filter switch wasn't on, duh!  also a tube went to the little water dispenser on the sink top.  The waterpump turns on and runs fine, but I think it too has a drip. 2 more things for the old dear to do.  I turned it on and we have a drip there, they had a bowl under it.  Looks like the original ADC filter, think I may just order the whole thing new, its 20 years old.

I have a new drawer glide where it fastens in back I ordered a couple I see the one under the stove on one side needs replaced, will do.

He has been working on the new TV's, the front one works fine, he took out the old VCR player its going.  We aren't sure where we are putting the front tellie yet.  I want to make storage out of the place where the small one was up in front.  Put a panel on it and make a pull out drawer for maps and things like that.  There isn't really anywhere to put stuff in the front between the seats, I like that idea.

We can set the TV on the table where  you put drinks while driving but can't mount it permanentally as I got a 26 inch and its to big. Camperland mounted the back one permanently with a swing arm in the little compartment where an old one had been.

Water filter just needed a little rubber o ring, hubby replaced it, so it quit leaking. I ordered 2 new filters for it as they still have them.

Our tenant showed  him how to jump from the electrical to the inverter circuit so we have electric for the TV and all those receptacles on that string, hubby said he will replace inverter later, now our TV and box in front works.

He is now fixing the valve on the black water tank as it was dripping some and then looking at what is leaking on the water pump, that will fix all the water lines and drain issues.  I told him wouldn't do to drive into an RV campground with stuff running out of an old 92 motorhome, they would likely tell me move along and he knows it too.  He said he wished he had 30 days to just start on one end and go through everything.  It will be useable and that's my interest. I'm a lucky person he enjoys doing this stuff.  He partly fixed the TV's so he can listen to the programs he likes to hear while working.

He also wants to take out the old radio and put a new one in to use with my Sirius radio. 

It's a lot easier reading about it then doing it isn't it? ;)

But hey I just made him some homemade bread.  Ground the wheat and made it from scratch, we are jumped into it and ate the heck out of it with homemade peach jam for a snack, the 3 of us went through a loaf and a half.  First I've made since warm weather started.  I like to let it raise outside in the warmth, does it pretty quickly.

We could never buy these old motorhomes if Tom didn't enjoy doing this stuff.  Of course today he found he just HAD to have a new angle drill and truth be he did.  He is working on the window mechanism.  I had to help pull panels out  even after he removed the drivers seat and took the couch out too. So I cleaned under there.

The other day in the back of a seat I found a bank envelope with $40 in it, paid for dinner out.  Today he was moving the couch and found $5, Sue Anne got that.  Also found the other top that goes on my sinks.  I cleaned all under there and never saw either, so good deal.  Now if we could find an envelope with about $5k in it we would be good to go.

He got the window mechanism in and it works fine except only closes to about an inch or two from the top.  It's almost like its to its limit.  He wasn't going to put the channel material in if he didn't need to but thinks that could be it.  We see where the screws have been out and that window worked on likely several times.  I haven't been out there for awhile to see what he is doing.  There is no literature on it.  I was thinking maybe something needed adjusted, will see what he is doing.

He put in a new valve for the black water tank, when he took the old out you could see where the gasket was pinched, been like that since put in or replaced.  He decided while he had it apart to replace the gaskets on the gray water also, probably wise, took both of us.  I  had to pull back and he had to take another panel loose, that's done.

Then he decided on the water pump to not try to fix it, the leak was in the pump body, but it was original to the couch. I says oh get a real quiet one.  He did and now I realize if I have a leak somewhere I can't hear it, probably a dumb move.  So I guess we are rebuilding it one piece at a time! :eek:

Well that was to easy, he found the new mechanism just needed oiled and now its working fine.  Seems kind of odd it needed oiled, but then maybe the thing was manufactured sometime ago, who knows.  Anyway he almost has that window back together and it works.  Now I can deal with toll booths and cops if need be!

Toll booths are okay but forget about the cops part!  ;)  Boy, you two are going to town on that thing!

ArdraF

I don't think we have a choice if you don't want to go down the road leaving a trail of water and "other fluids".  Also want to be able close the 2 front windows all the way in a rain storm.  2 or 3 inches down doesn't get it and the mechanisms were so weak we had to get on both sides and help push them up. 

He is trying to make sure the basics and a little more are done so Sue Anne and I can take at least a short trip or two. Next time he is home we have to go see his mom, she is 82 and lives in Indiana.  Its been a year since we have been up.  We will see how the old motorhome does and if ok, may take off on a longer trip or two.

I think 2 or 3 more times of fixing things will do it or maybe not that many.  Next week we need to do some work at the newest rent house.  It's just on blocks and we have a corner near where I had a bunch of trees taken down and stumps ground out that does not want to stay level.  The small house had been there for years and was solid, we tore off an incomplete end and rebuilt it, so its on a corner and at the back door where the new part is. So he is going to put a concrete pad under those 2 so the  back door will open and close correctly.  Also we are putting out landscape timbers to define a driveway and get a couple loads of gravel put in to even things out.  I hate for renters to park in the yard, in fact I won't let them and this will solve the issue before there is one.

Talk about water leaks.  Hubby found another at a fitting above the water pump.  He said its obvious it had been there for a long long time from the yellow streak, it was just loose and the one at the icemaker was just a small hole he thinks has rubbed through there was plenty of line to snip off the 3 or 4 inches close to the valve and replace the little fitting.  I watched so I could do that if I have to.  so now NO water leaks, lets see if it stays that way.  We will turn the water on tomorrow and leave everything on and see if anything happens, don't think so though, we had it on this afternoon.  I don't think the folks checked this stuff and just used it leaks and all. 

He has the second window mechanism out, it was harder to get out then the driver side one, he was hoping it would be easier.  For awhile we thought it was the main water tank that had a leak but nope, at least it wasn't that so some good things happen. My goodness it would have cost a fortune to have allthat fixed.  I told him stop today and start again tomorrow, he was pooped. but he said once its done he can't see the window mechanisms ever needing replaced again. And a little leak can sure drip a lot of water, that's for sure.

He is also putting in my new windshield wiper switch, said that will be an easy fix and he wants to do the clearance lights.  No not necessary, they all work, but will be nice, these are nice and bright and new.

I am going to sand off the steps and paint them and some more of the trim around the bays.  I have a new little louvered vent cover for the dryer.  Home Depot paint dept mixed me one of the little containers of paint in a flat then she got a gloss clear spray and it looks very very close to what is there.  she spent some time adjusting the color to make it match as much as possible so I will paint that one day, I took one of the louvers in for a match.

Off subject but got my first cucumber today and have green beans to pick tomorrow. the tomato plants are loaded with tennis ball size tomatoes.  I only planted half the quanity of tomatoes and beans this year.  Next year going to reduce my garden size, just to much food with Tom gone.

He told me today some of those leaks were more like condensation but still they were there so those are fixed, he has tested  again today to make sure.

Drivers window in and everything put back together. Yah rah!! Now I have 2 operating power windows, that's awesome to me.  I can say to anyone that needs to do that, its quite a job for sure.

Windshield washer switch in and working.

He is fabricating a little bracket, the controls for the jacks was held up with a velcro strap, now its going to have a metal bracket.

I on the other hand have planted pineapple sage, never heard of it, sweet mint, and cilantro.  I have basil, hot spicy oregano, thyme, 2 containers of common sage, I will hang and dry later, and parsley to plant.  Picked enough beans to cook with applewood bacon to have with dinner, another cuke, and my first tomato of the year!

And another absolutley gorgeous day.  This has been a beautiful spring so far.

I think Tom started on the clearance lights, he wants to get those on.  I wasn't really concerned about them but he said with the deteriorated rubber we could have the potential for leaks and there was no point in sealing the old ones.  So ok, by me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom