Took the old Eagle for a drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fantastic Fan has just about the greatest customer service policy we've ever encountered.  If you phone them, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a new switch at no charge.  Sometimes they've replaced whole fans.  The phone number is have on file is 800-521-0298.  Don't know if it's current.

Margi

Second what Margi said about Fantastic Fans.  They're wonderful!

ArdraF

I agree, remember they replaced my old domes for free because they were cracked here and there.  I told the guy they are likely 20 years old, didn't matter, all he charged me was shipping.  Yes, and amazing company.

Another item done.  This one is really important to me.  I now have a new radio and my Sirius Radio hooked up, now I can drive and drive!  It also has a usb port so hubby can use that for music if he wants.  I had a separate cd player not a dvd player, so I had them take it out, this one has that built in.  He put a blank in that slot and mounted my Sirius to it.  So a real good deal.  I wanted the windows tinted but got an estimate of $700.  Not paying that and wondering if I can get that done for less.  I have no idea what it costs but that's to much for me.

YAH RAH!  Looks  like they are going to get me in the 16th and get the step done, they had a cancellation, otherwise would have been the 24th.  So I'm hoping that it is just a remove and replace with no other repairs required.  Then can I get the truck place to do my radiator flush and replace the PacBrake cylinder and let the other stuff go for right now.  No high engine temps or anything if they can't I may just wait until I get back.  Otherwise its wait and wait.  Have to see how it goes.  If I'm lucky they can do it the 16th and I can pick it up, if not also the 17th.  At least I'm moving along. 

My new step going in tomorrow.  I got my new stove top cover today from ebay.  The old silver one was serviceable, but was dull and had some rust so this is just an aesthetic item.  I found a new black one and it looks really finished, was $44.  The attachments are a bit different so doesn't lie totally flat in the back.  I could put the old ones on it, but it opens so much better and noone else will ever notice the slight bump in the back.

I also ordered a new gasket for my Uline icemaker.  After running a few days I noticed frost at the top and imagine the gasket will fix it.  Just little stuff now.

I have one more visit for the mechanic, flushing my radiator and fixing my Pacbrake, mainly.

Hubby said after that quit worrying and just go, that things will need fixed and I should know that.  That I can't think of every eventuality or I will be sitting here from now on fixing things that might break or might not.  Of course, he is right.  Like he said some things you will have to have fixed on a trip and most can wait to be fixed.   

I figure the end of next week.  He isn't home till the middle of July so I can go and come home and go again likely to keep up with my garden.  We are going to Indiana to see his mom when he comes home.  If the motorhome does well we may take it. 

Carolyn that is a beautiful coach. I agree with taking something older and making it looked really appreciated again!!! It is quite a reward to see your efforts. I have read another one of your posts where you went to Florida and then Indiana. Wow you are an unbelievable person, I hope your daughter is doing well. I wish I had half your energy. God Bless You!! Enjoy that coach.

I finally ordered those Velvac gaskets for my diesel tank caps.  I tried everywhere to find them.  I had searched on the net before but couldn't find a way to order them.  Anything like that I find I keep the copy in case I need them again.  They were $4.98 each from the Velvac company.

Tell me they didn't break something!

The guy at Camperland pulled my motorhome around for me.  He let it get to 60 psi, that clears the brakes but I found that I need for it to get to about 90 psi before driving.  He said when I turned something made a real loud pop and when I turned the second time it did it again, really scared me.  I'm thinking what was that, doesn't do it for me, except the one time I started to move forward before they were up all the way.  I got out and realized it needed to raise further.  I can tell because the back flap needs to not be touching the ground.  He says you have air bags, I said yep.  I said you can't really move it till its to 90. 

So did he break or crack anything I should know about.  I would have thought those people knew.  I think they work mostly on TT's though I saw another coach in there. 

Please tell me nothing is broke. :'(

I have my new step which is nice.  This one gives but not to the ground like the other one, thank goodness.

More than likely it was the brakes making a noise because of the low pressure and they were not fully retracted. I do not think it hurt anything.

I went out this morning to let my chickens out and looked at the coach. The front is practically sitting on the tires.  I have my toad attached and its on a slight slope but I've never seen the front that low.  Man, I don't know if its because of the position or what.

He let 60 psi get in because the buzzer went off, but I dug through the manuals and its says you need 90 psi before moving.  I've looked all over the net and can find nothing.  Asked my husband last night and he didn't think it would hurt it but wasn't sure.  I let it set until it gets that much or more, it doesn't take but a few minutes.  That doesn't look good, it loses air but not overnight, might take a few days. The one time I started to move it and it squealed I stopped immediately, why would you keep going if you heard an awful noise like he said.  And him telling me, unless he is honest noone else heard him. I need to find somewhere else to go, this was convenient and I saw another big motorhome in there but they don't do that much on them.

I shouldn't have gone back after the way they put in my satellite dish.  They had to replace it and I guess they had all kinds of trouble with the step, they didn't know it had 2 switches, she said had to call the manufacturer and everything.  Don't think I will go back there.

A little later I will go out and unhook, start it up, and see what it does, hope I'm just being a pessimist and worrywart.

All I can say is make sure if your coach does like this you inform the repair person or anyone else who might drive it.  And yes I think it should have been notated somewhere, wonder how many times that has happened in its life.

You probably should look up some detailed information on the proper operation of your air system. There are specific pressures required and the system should be tested and/or checked using the pressure gauges on the dash each time the coach is to be used and not moved until the requirements are met.  For example, Normal pressure in some systems is 125 lbs, 90 lbs should restart the compressor after using the brakes/ filling the air bags etc. Warning buzzer should activate at another pressure etc.

You may have a small leak somewhere in the airbag system but having the bags settling out after 2 or 3 days seems fairly normal from what I have learned.

In many States/Provinces one has to go through a very detailed course and exam before you can get the air brake endorsement on the drivers licence. Don't know about Texas though....

Well I assumed that the rv repair place knew about this sort of thing.  It may be nothing, the way its parked may have something to do with it.  I have to unhook my toad soon as we are going to the movies to see Battleship about noon.  I will start up the motorhome and see what happens. 

As old as this one is a leak in the airbags would not surprise me but we had not had that problem.  Actually I just let it sit till it gets to 120 psi, it doesn't take long and I'm usually fiddling with something anyway, so will continue to do that and also tell anyone else that is repairing or driving it to do so.

Everytime I open these manuals and read I learn even more.  I went through the section on the air and it doesn't have cautions, don't do's or anything like so much else of the manual.

I need to get my book from the licensing office and start studying for my upgraded license. 

You assume too much  heh heh !!! Especially after your past experiences with them....

While you're at it you should also know EXACTLY where the external hook up for the air system is: Example: should you need a tow, and the air brakes/parking brake have been applied, the tow truck operator has to apply air pressure from his tow truck system in order to release and hold the coach brakes off for towing. Where, on YOUR coach, does he do that??

Most big rig tow truck operators know how to do it but the location of the manifold with that connection can vary from vehicle to vehicle I would think.

I will find out from my husband, he knows all this stuff.  He has spent his life around heavy equipment, was a long boom crane operator for years, then everything else you can think of to run.  He knows a LOT about all kinds of diesels, think that is why he wanted this one, he felt pretty comfortable with it.  Let's see if he is wrong.  :'( Also has his CDL, had to get it years ago as at times they didn't have anyone on the jobs he ran with a CDL and he would have to run a semi to move something if I remember right.  He spent years as a highway paving superintendent, then manager, and then moved up to a civil manager.  Anyway enough about him, I'm still proud of the old guy I guess. :-* He and I came from very humble beginnings.

But enough about that and way off the topic.  I went out, unhooked and she aired up nicely.  Oh it only goes to about 110 or a little less not 120.  I'm guessing that the toad hooked on the back up on the carport and the front of the diesel sloping down might have let the air release or something, or maybe just an illusion, whatever, its fine, no loud clanking or anything so good to go.  Go to the mechanics next week if they can work me in and that is for my final.  I'm thinking maybe new shocks too, Bilstein, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything, while I'm at it. They say Konis are better, but not sure.

I am surprised it is as low as 110!!!! Maybe someone with more experience can jump in here!!!

I don't think these systems vary at all from the standards set  as, at least here, you have to quote and demonstrate your knowledge of the EXACT pressures as taught in the courses (which are not vehicle specific) in order to survive the licence endorsement examinations.

I was looking at the plastic? side walls beside the passenger seat and drivers, not doing anything with it right now.  I cleaned it all but its discolored in places, wonder if anyone has successfully painted those panels?

Better late than never?  Rustoleum has a line of paint for plastics that should work just fine on those panels.  Note the plastic primer at the bottom of the page.

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=118

Pretty colors but no grey.  I will have to try that later.

I will look again but think it only goes to 120 after that is just a circle display on it. 

I'm going to try and do what hubby said, quit worrying.  I worry about everything but not as bad as I used to.  I came from folks that worried about everything so I try to cover every base when I do anything, kind of slows you down, but also keeps us out of trouble.

By the way we just saw the movie Battleship, it was long, but we loved it.  I hope to see Avengers and MIB 3, love those MIB movies.  One of the guys in the movie was an injured vet, double amputee, and he was very good.  Glad to see someone like that getting a chance to make some money.  I'm wondering if the real old guys were real vets too, have to read and see.  It's a sci fi type movie and we love those things.

Carolyn,

We've have had our diesel pusher close to 10 years; and we let it get fully aired up before driving off.  You'll hear a "whoosh" of air release when it's up to full air.  Our air pressure gets to 125#. We have front and back air gauges and even as we are driving we'll see it lose 10#s then climb back up to 125# again.

My first thought when you mentioned it was lower on the front, was a damaged air bag.  Ours will lose air over time (a couple of days) if it sits parked for very long.  If we are storing it, we dump the air and store it on it's jacks.  Not sure that makes any difference but is our technique. 

Glad to meet a fellow worrier, I'm one.  I usually have plan A and then a plan B if something goes wrong; and then still worry about it.  ;) 

No offense meant here, but I'm sure your husband has explained how to drive a diesel up and down grades.  I mention this because we were climbing a grade going to help out at a kid's christian camp last Monday and neither of us were paying any attention.  When climbing a steep grade you need to keep the rpms up to at least 2000 to keep the engine cool.  Well, we didn't and ours heated up real quick.  We pulled over, let it cool down and then took off again.  (side note:  worrier that I am, like you I was sure we had damaged something; and I can take that worry to the fullest extreme)  The camp was off the main  highway down a very steep 2 mile grade and I was thinking the entire time at the kid's camp that we would be stranded with a problem and would need to be towed out of there trying to get back up to the main highway.  No problem, the ole' gal climbed right up; but I was miserable worrying the entire time.  I kept sending little prayers up.)  We live out West and have lots of steep grades to contend with so learning how to climb them was important.

Have fun!
Marsha~

I think ours will get to 120 not positive but I don't move it till it maxes out.  It doesn't take long.  I will check it again.

I am having a new Pacbrake cyclinder put on this week, we know its leaking air.  I don't think it does till its turned on though,but will see after its replaced.  We could have leaks with the age of this but I don't think it would go up any higher then it does.

Hubby looked it over, I'm sure if he had seen  or heard a leak he would have fixed it.  Let me see if I can find anything else in the manual about that system.

I saw in the manual where it says not to rev over 2400 rpm's on our engine, need to read that again to see if its right.  Hubby says don't worry it has a govenor.

Man, these crazy kids are coming out of that subdivision again like bats out of hell.  They are going to fact I can see one hitting my garden again and with the speed they have going into the house.  There is lots of money in that subdivision and there are some really souped up vehicles over there.  Everything from hummers to vettes to porshes and trucks.  I think now the trees are out in the back we may move my garden out there. The other day one of them was doing that and I'm thinking right where I was picking vegetalbes is where they run up into the yard.  They are crazy.  Makes me nervous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom