Windows update, Dang I hate it when that happens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

I'm running Windows 7, and Verizon access manager on my HP laptop. When I powered up and got on line this morning, I knew something was downloading because anytime I clicked on something it was very slow before anything happened. Later while reading a post, the screen goes blank then a message "shutting down". After that, " installing windows update".

That's fine but I seem to remember that on my older systems it would always ask if I wanted to do that now or later. Is there something I can change in Win7 to get that back.

I have something on here called "ease of access". let windows suggest settings. Is that something I should go into.

All my experience is with industrial computers, these things still stymy me.

Jerry

Go to control panel then system and security then windows update then change settings. There you can change from automatic updates to however you want it to work. Hope this helps.  Chip

You should  to be in Category view, other wise it is different.

I [clicked] on this thread and my 'puter went into an update mode...shut down did a windows upload..did an install and restart..than did it again ..than finally restarts like normal..than opens a new window w/a NETFLIX offer..I closed that out than very gingerly tried this site and this post again...whew ..was glad it opened..was really worried that my day was headed in the toilet ...hope this was just a coincidence and not going to be an issue for me..as you can probably guess I'm not 'puter literate.. and what I know can get & has got  me in deep do-do.

There's nothing in this forum that would trigger a Windows restart, and there are no Netflix ads anywhere within our message boards  ;)

Anyone on a limited bandwidth connection, like cellular, should set Windows Update to Check for Updates but not Download them.  You can then download them when you have access to an unlimited internet connection, such as a public WiFi connection.

Thanks all, and Falconhunter and Ned especially. Made the changes, will wait until next time to see what happens.

[quote author=Icemaker]I [clicked] on this thread and my 'puter went into an update mode...shut down did a windows upload..did an install and restart..than did it again ...[/quote]

I assume we're agreed it has nowt to do with this forum  ;)

Tom said:
I assume we're agreed it has nowt to do with this forum  ;)

Tom I wasn't trying to make an assertion it was site related ..I just thought it was a bazaar coincidence that those series of events occurred in that order...I have everything working now..w/the exception that something hijacked a mail account but it is not related to the one for this site..'puters...<sigh> So my apologies if you assumed I was slamming this site..I love this site..

George

I rec'd the update also, but usually get them during the night and when I open in the morning I recieve a message saying I got the update and my computer was restarted.  Don't really know why but mine always come overnite.  First thing I do in morning is to check out the forum for new news from you members.

kjansen said:
I rec'd the update also, but usually get them during the night and when I open in the morning I recieve a message saying I got the update and my computer was restarted.  Don't really know why but mine always come overnite.  First thing I do in morning is to check out the forum for new news from you members.

Not really a good option when on Verizon wireless to leave my laptop on all the time. Can't get a regular hi-speed connection at home.

Jerry

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom