For Sale sign while boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firehose

Hi folks,

I have been thinking about an idea for boondocking in the city, and thought I'd post it to see if you folks think this is a good idea.

My idea, is often you see empty lots, or stretches of roads where there's cars parked with for sale signs.  I was thinking, you could pull up for the night, post a few for sale signs on the RV, then crash out. 

This would give others the idea that you are parked there for a reason, to sell your rig.  Instead of folks wondering if someone is inside, they would think it's empty and for sale.

Also, if police do take interest in the RV being there, they could see your phone number on the for sale sign and call you. 

I thought this might be a good way to fly under the radar for a night somewhere, if needed.  Thoughts?  I haven't tried this yet. 

Sounds dishonest to me. I boondock quite a bit, but never park anywhere without permission. We don't need to be giving any municipality a reason to pass a new law further limiting where we can park our units overnight.

Many of the off-lot "for sale" RVs I see are parked in places that I wouldn't boondock, while others are in residential areas.

If you respect your safety, I suggest you go/park elsewhere.

I would be concerned that anyone noticing the rig, and seeing the sign, might reasonably assume the MH was unoccupied, and a great opportunity for mischief and/or vandalism.  I would never consider this as a way to spend the night.

Also every time I've used a wal-mart or truck stop or even a rest area no one ever asked who I was..besides I think that if the casual thief looking for the score on a whim..they might reconsider if they thought the coach was occupied,possible by a NRA member..

Back when I was broke I spent a lot of time boondocking on city streets. I thought about the for sale sign gimmick but I never needed to waste the money on signs. There are a lot better ways to boondock without paying for your space. The best thing I did was sign up for http://www.overnightrvparking.com/ at $25 a year. They have a database of 8000 places in the US that can or cannot be boondocked at for free, like Walmarts, Flying Js, Cracker Barrels, etc. These places are all places that you can boondock and won't be hassled by the police. Before I signed up I was hassled a few times every year, but all they would do is tell me I couldn't park there and that I had to move.

zzyzx said:
The best thing I did was sign up for http://www.overnightrvparking.com/ at $25 a year.

Thanks for that!  I'll check it out.  I also appreciate the comments.  I wasn't sure what would be better, having folks think you are not in the RV, or wondering if you might be. 

I would not want to offend anyone where I would park for the night.  I definitely would avoid residential areas, I'd rather just not be seen and find spots that are not noticeable.  The RV is self-contained and I would leave no trace. 

Regarding personal safety, I've had experience in the past in less than nice areas, and dealing with folks with questionable intentions.  I feel confident in my abilities to safely protect myself and encourage others to remain peaceful at the same time.  I thought the for sale sign idea, was a good one, but see how it could possible make me a target for thieves. 

And, there are places where it is illegal to park a vehicle and put up a for sale sign, whether on private property or not.  I think it's not such a good idea for numerous reasons.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom