Title Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

I live in Michigan, but am planning to make my son's house in Ohio my domicile for full-timing after i retire at the end of May.  I will close on my condo here in Michigan next week, but am not planning on moving my stuff to storage in Ohio until mid-June. 

I bought a new motorhome in Ohio two weeks ago. I paid Michigan sales tax, and the dealer assured me they would apply for a Michigan title because I currently live in Michigan. The motorhome has a temp tag and is parked in a storage facility right now in Ohio near my son's house.  I was planning on applying for an Ohio driver's license in June and transfer the title then.

So, today I got my new title--an OHIO title!!!! The Ohio title has my Michigan address on it and a slightly different price and sales tax amount than I paid, although the total is the same. (Ohio sales tax is slightly higher than Michigan sales tax.)

Now, what do I do? I cannot get Ohio license plates, can I, because I am not an Ohio resident yet?? Should I try to get Michigan tags?? If I do that, I might end up paying for sales tax again, and then I would have to transfer the title again in two months.  This is getting terribly confusing, and I am stressed out enough with my home sale and retiring. 

Anyone ever have this problem?

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask what happened and if I can get another set of 30 day Ohio temporary tags. I am planning on an inaugural camping trip for three days on April 28-May 1. Will I be legal?? 

Any advice or suggestions?  I do not want to pay double sales tax, to say the least!!

JudyJB

You might want to call the Ohio DMV but I don't think you have to be a resident of Ohio to get Ohio license plates. If you do register it in Michigan I believe the sales tax you paid in Ohio will be credited to your Michigan title. Once again you will need to call the Michigan DMV to verify this.

If you have an Ohio title, they the dealer did you a favor. It means he sent the Ohio DMV your title fees, and they will be sending you Ohio plates.  All you will need to do is when you finish up your condo sale, go to the Ohio DMV and file a change of address.  Then transfer your drivers license and you are all set.  No transfer of title needed. 

That makes me feel better.  I am just so stressed with all the changes in my life, and the prospect of operating this behemoth and figuring out how to work everything, that this was one more thing to panic me.

So, hopefully, I should get real license plates in the mail soon.  Somehow, I was thinking I had to go apply for them myself, but you are right that they must have applied for me. 

I suppose the sensible thing for me to do would have been to retire, then put my condo up for sale and sell it, and then get a motorhome.  Not sensible, I guess, so I did everything at once and probably in the wrong order.  I am planning to head out on my journey on July 1. 

JudyJB

Here's the Ohio DMV web site:

http://bmv.ohio.gov/

That's OK Judy, retirement is a huge step and it is enough to make anybody crazy.  It's OK, it all slows down soon enough and you can sit back and enjoy the ride........

i have a ca dl and my coach is reg in tx i go Thur check point's all the time and have been asked and i just tell them the truth. i leave the coach in Texas. and they say fine dmv can take care of it ( you reg the rig where it spends most of it's time (by the way it show's my ca address)

Country Boy

Welcome to the RV Forum, your posts are appreciated. However, they are unreadable. Many of us here do not Twitter and won't spend the time or effort trying to decipher them. There are no character limits so please write your messages in good old English.

Back
Top Bottom