Health, Insurance and traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jswalls110

Hi.

I am a 55 year old feed up with where I work and my job overall. I have 2 kids, one a senior in college and one out of college. I have a house in a city I would leave in a minute given the chance. I am an Information Technology guy, networks, operating systems, PC hardware and software and telecom. But no degree. I have been doing this since the beginning of the PC wave (early 80's) and am pretty good at it. Unless you try to look for a job. I am too old, and too little college. To compound the issue I have a 40+ year history of chronic illness. I have Crohns disease. I take a bunch of meds and have a brain issue as a result of mal-absortion of nutrients (hence a some of the meds).

Now the part that I was wondering about. How do you all survive? Insurance wise I mean. I can't imagine anybody that would insure me on the road, and if they would the premiums have to be out of this world!!!

We have a 1987 Dolphin 2740 that we bought last spring, moving up from a popup. My wife would like nothing more then to tour the US and Canada (not in the Dolphin, but after we move up again). I don't see how any of that is possible. We aren't well off and it's years till retirement.

What am I missing or do I have an all to good idea of the obstacles?

If you're a veteran, you qualify for VA. How poor you are and how disabled you are determines your category (1-8).

The reality of the situation may be such that you just can do it at this time.  You may just have to slog it out until retirement.  You should start planning retirement medical NOW along with other life transition issues.  Use this time to prepare and see if it is actually something you can pull off after retirement, let alone still want to.

I am not a veteran, tried for the Guard in '73 but they wouldn't take me.

I suspected as much, but I figured I would ask. Ya never know.

Thanks all for the help.

There's one option that might work... unless it changes, and it might given congress; within a few years you'll be able to get health insurance with pre-existing conditions.  Hard to guess about cost at this point.

If that materializes, there are many folks who can work from anywhere doing website development for the millions/billions of websites that need design and maintenance regularly.  With your background, it's a skill that you could develop and build into a nice "portable" business.  Web site work and cloud computing is becoming mainstream.  Network management and system ops will still be around but big IT departments are becoming less certain.

You could probably pull it off in a few years if that's what you really want to do.

I am not a web guy, but do cloud now. (I can learn the HTML stuff just no real need now). I can also do troubleshooting and repair work in a the coach.

Thanks for bringing that option back to mind, I'll have to follow it more closely!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom