rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Cost of full timing compared to living at home..  (Read 16978 times)

rebar

• ---
Cost of full timing compared to living at home..
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
First off..  Im really jealous of you full timer's..  I want to join you.   But what Im wondering is if it costs more to full time, than to own a payed off home?   3K property tax's..

Thanks
1995 E350 6bt/nv4500, 2006 Featherlite 24' surv toyhauler, 2007 DRZ400s well farkled, 1985 Vmax stock, 1985 Vmax custom

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Cost of full timing compared to living at home..
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »
Probably, but it depends a lot on your RV lifestyle. If you travel much, fuel is a major extra cost. And campsites can be expensive or not, depending on your wants and needs as well as the region chosen. Maintenance on an RV, particularly a motorhome,  is likely higher than a fixed home, but then the taxes are zero (unless it is titled in a state with a personal property tax that applies to vehicles). And electricity, water and sewer are probably included in the campsite fees (except for long term site rentals, which are usually priced as base fee + metered electric)

On the plus side, RVers usually spend less on clothing.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

maverickbbd

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
We sold our paid off home, shop, condo and land to fulltime.  We could not afford to do both.  Just transferred the previous expenses to something we want to do.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
I was a full timer for many years on a very cheap budget. There are many places you can camp for free or very cheaply. There are plenty of $200 a month RV parks. If you don't travel a lot then being a full timer can be way cheaper than living in a stick and brick.

But for me it is not about money, it is about freedom. I have seen all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48. I have been to all 48 of the lower states. I am about to embark on a 6 month trip cruising up the California/Oregon/Washington coastline. Next year I will be doing the Gulf Coast/Atlantic Seaboard/Great Lakes coastlines.

If I get new neighbors and I don't like them I can pull up stakes and move in 5 minutes. If the weather turns sour I am outta here.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
If you're going to maintain the same standard of living, doing it in an RV isn't much different in overall cost than in a house.  Some of the expenses will differ in type and amount, but the total at the end of the year won't be much different.  The benefits of full timing are not measurable in dollars and can't be matched living in a house.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

rebar

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
If you're going to maintain the same standard of living, doing it in an RV isn't much different in overall cost than in a house.  Some of the expenses will differ in type and amount, but the total at the end of the year won't be much different.  The benefits of full timing are not measurable in dollars and can't be matched living in a house.

Thanks everyone..  Sounds like a budget could go either way depending on your destinations and how much you travel.

Is there a publication which lists all the campsites and prices in the usa?
1995 E350 6bt/nv4500, 2006 Featherlite 24' surv toyhauler, 2007 DRZ400s well farkled, 1985 Vmax stock, 1985 Vmax custom

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
Is there a publication which lists all the campsites and prices in the usa?

There's no one publication but probably the most comprehensive is the Trailer Life Campground Directory which includes both public and private campgrounds with everything from rustic to resort.  The campground owners pay for being included in the directory which is why you can't see it includes "all" the campgrounds.  Some choose not to advertise.  Each entry includes specific information which provides enough information so you know if you'll fit into the site, what hookups are available, price (last year's), and other amenities such as laundry, fishing pond, groceries, propane, etc.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

rebar

• ---

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
Yep, what Tom said. Full time RVing is about choice, and we exercise ours regularly.  The Trailer Life directory is a must have, and so is this web site: http://www.rvparkreviews.com 
It will give you ratings of just about any park you want to visit, and they are rated by the campers that stay there.  I use it (and post to it) constantly.  Now get out there and see America.....
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

rebar

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
http://www.rvparkreviews.com 
  Now get out there and see America.....

OK OK.. ;D

I like the parkreviews better than Trailer Life Campground Directory because the map actually functions.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Get the Trailer Life Directory on CD, aka the Campground Navigator. Excellent map capability.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

davescrate

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
IMHO....rvparkreviews.com....the only spot I ever check. I'd rather hear what other campers say about a park, then what a owner can pay to lie about.
I wont go anywhere without running it by there. 
1996 Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel
No Tow Vehicle
Isuzu Trooper - 18' Cargo "garage" Trailer
1978 Jeep CJ5
1987 Corvette Convertible
2002 Suzuki Katana
and the mutt - Shadow

aubreyshaw

• ---
    • Life's Short! Go RVing!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »
I don't know if renting your house out is an option or not, but that's one way we help cover some of our full timing expenses.  Our mortgage is just over $1000 and we rent it for $1400 a month. 

Camping fees and gas will be your biggest expenses probably.
RVing With Young Kids
F350 6.0 L PSD Dually
5er - 2001 Jayco 34'  w/1 slide
http://lifesshortgorving.blogspot.com/

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »
Fulltiming expenses are pretty much what you make them. If you travel every couple of days and stay in full hookup parks all the time you will spend a certain amount.  Staying in free campgrounds and/or traveling less will reduce your expenses.

$3k a year is equal to about $9 per day.  That's 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of a typical full hookup site in a reasonable park in most areas of the country.  So you have part of your expenses covered right there.  Add in the costs of utilities, trash pickup, etc. that are usually covered by the park and you have more right there.   Most parks have weekly rates that are 5-6x the daily rate, and monthly rates range anywhere from $300-800 per month.  So staying longer before moving on can reduce your expenses dramatically.

Fuel costs are determined by how far and how often you move.  Moving less than a hundred miles or less per week costs less than moving a couple of hundred miles every few days.  This doesn't include local sightseeing, which will probably cost about the same as you currently spend doing normal things like shopping, going to the movies, etc. in your present house.

For an extreme example of how to fulltime with limited funds, take a look at Tioga George's blog, vagabonders-supreme.net .  He's currently in the process of settling down in Mexico, but for the past 9 years he's been successfully fulltiming on a very limited budget, basically just his social security.  He updates his blog on a daily basis and all of his past blogs since the start of his adventure are available in his archives .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:46:37 AM by Lou Schneider »

EMan508

• ---
  • 2003 Winnie Adventurer 35U, Honda CRV,
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
Without looking up each campground for fees is there a fast way to narrow down a search for the lowest cost campgrounds and also free (or almost free) boondocking areas? I love the idea of boondocking and have been planning on doing that but would still like to be near other people (within yelling for help distance) in case of trouble.

-Eric

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
Without looking up each campground for fees is there a fast way to narrow down a search for the lowest cost campgrounds and also free (or almost free) boondocking areas? I love the idea of boondocking and have been planning on doing that but would still like to be near other people (within yelling for help distance) in case of trouble.

-Eric

I wish there was one centralized source for CG's but unforunately with all the resources I use we will still pass CG's on the road that weren't in any of them. So trying to find a listing of fees of all would be challenging. I have saved these links from various resources (one of them being here) that may help with the free/boonedocking. I am sure others will come along with more suggestions.
http://overnightrvparking.com/
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
http://boondockerswelcome.com/
http://www.rv-camping.org/Boondocking.html
http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/free-campsites.html
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

tonyandkaren

• ---
    • Our Fulltiming Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
 Check this site too. Public campgrounds are usually less expensive and the best bet if you can't boondock.
 http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

Dar

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Check this site too. Public campgrounds are usually less expensive and the best bet if you can't boondock.
 http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/
That link doesn't work, do you have another?

I just received this one via email and found it very intriguing. Anyone hear of this before?
http://www.harvesthosts.com/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:42:42 PM by Dar »
Dar & Bill
Blue Ox baseplate

tonyandkaren

• ---
    • Our Fulltiming Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
 Try clicking on the link again. It wasn't working for me either but it just started working. ??? If you're still having trouble try copying and pasting.   http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

I've heard of Harvest Hosts. It sounds like a good idea but we haven't signed up yet. From what I've read it's great if you're traveling through and need a place to park for a night. Hopefully you'll buy some of the the farms produce ,wine ,etc.

Dar

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Try clicking on the link again. It wasn't working for me either but it just started working. ??? If you're still having trouble try copying and pasting.   http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

It is working now, thanks. That seems like a pretty good one with greater than 16k CG's in the lower 48 and for $5.95 you can download a poi with 1 years worth of free quarterly updates. That's exactly the kind of thing I am always looking for, I definitely prefer having them in the Garmin to find the CG's along our route which is the easiest and fastest way I have found to locate a CG. Thanks much!
Dar & Bill
Blue Ox baseplate

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

I've heard of Harvest Hosts. It sounds like a good idea but we haven't signed up yet. From what I've read it's great if you're traveling through and need a place to park for a night. Hopefully you'll buy some of the the farms produce ,wine ,etc.

That ultimatecampgrounds.com is a great site, especially for those of us who enjoy NPS, Forest Service, and State Park campgrounds.

As for Harvest Hosts, we are members and while we haven't used it yet for overnighting, we have visited several wineries that participate, including the winery in Moab where we had our Last Supper. Park early, taste their wines, then go back to your coach...for free :)

Wendy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:25:13 PM by Wendy »
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Dar

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
As for Harvest Hosts, we are members and while we haven't used it yet for overnighting, we have visited several wineries that participate, including the winery in Moab where we had our Last Supper. Park early, taste their wines, then go back to your coach...for free :)
That sounds pretty nice Wendy. Would you say that they are prodomanently in one area or are they scattered about the country. I couldn't find anywhere on the website that indicated locations.
Dar & Bill
Blue Ox baseplate

lavarock1210

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Before you sell your home I would recommend you try full timing for a year first.  It is not for everyone.  You will take a beating that you will not recover if you sell a home in this market.  If you decide to buy a year or two from now because you find you are one of those that can not full time you may not be able to buy what you had.
As for renting your home that is a sure way to lower it's value a great deal in my opinion.  Renters can do a lot of damage in only 6 months.
They major cost we find part timing is fuel.  If you travel a lot like we have it will be close to 50% of your total cost.  We have kept our home and only travel during the winter.  Selling and full timing just was not for us.

EMan508

• ---
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »
You will take a beating that you will not recover if you sell a home in this market. 

I thought this was true until I put my home on the market without doing anything to the home other than painting the interior "old" rooms and I had to bring my septic up to recent codes.  The house sold in 85 days for MORE than expected. Was it less than the top of the 2007 bubble - of course but those values were unrealistic anyway. The bottom line is that you just don't know if the house will sell unless you try. I only signed a 90 day broker contract.  Make them work for you quickly instead of thinking that they have 6 months to sell it for you.

-Eric

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
That sounds pretty nice Wendy. Would you say that they are prodomanently in one area or are they scattered about the country. I couldn't find anywhere on the website that indicated locations.

Try this spot on their website. It has maps showing locations. They have sites in 49 states, Canada, and Baja.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

EMan508

• ---
    • My Travel Journal
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Thank you for all the excellent information!  All those websites have loaded me up with places to stay away from campgrounds.

-Eric

FrontrangeRVer

• ---
  • 8,600 feet elevation up in the Rockies
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
What you don't hear too often from fulltimers, is when they come off the full time "sport", and get back in to a stick home.  And it is very common for most, if not all the fulltimers to revert back to a stick house after full timing.  It's usually due to health issues of one them or their spouses. 

I would love to hear of the fulltimers exit plans.  ;)
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
2 toads, depending on purpose:
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2005 Hyundai Elantra

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
That is a really good point Mark. When I retire this fall, we will consider ourselves "long" timers. Our plan is to see all of the things on our bucket list as long as we are healthy and able. I'm guessing we won't want to be driving a 40 foot MH while approaching the age of 80, so that gives us about 10 to 14 years or so to "git er done".  Fortunately, we are blessed to be able to keep the stick house as a place for respite from traveling.

That's our exit strategy.

Stan
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Dar

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
Fortunately, we are blessed to be able to keep the stick house as a place for respite from traveling.
That's our exit strategy.
Stan
Different view here. We may be blessed that we can afford both the MH and the house but don't consider being able to come back to the house a blessing, it's work, an extra expense and it doesn't move, it just stays in one place, boring!

We just got back a couple weeks ago from a 6 month jaunt and didn't want to, every trip it gets harder to come back so in 2 weeks it goes on the market. So obviously we are not full timers yet but when we are our exit strategy is to buy another house down the road if we choose to. If we get to the point of not being able to handle a MH than we probably couldn't handle a house either therefore straight to the nursing home for us LOL.
Dar & Bill
Blue Ox baseplate

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »
Every good plan has an entrance plan and an exit plan. I for one, don't believe that I will full time forever. That's why we bought a house in a location we always wanted to live. We moved my sister and BIL in and they keep an eye on the place for us. We stop by a few times a year to check them out and do a few projects. Then it's back on the road. It's a great system for us, and somewhere down the road when we get ready to settle down, we have the place we want to go.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!