Bodywork shine - Red Max Pro 3 no longer avail - ZEP is same product :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wearing gloves is certainly advised, but a lot of the problem can be avoided by wrapping (and securing) the micro fiber cloth around  the head of a sponge mop and dipping the mop in the liquid.  You will have to wring out the excess, but you will also get much more area coverage per dip.  Works for me.  I can make three trips around the rig in less than 30 minutes.

Glad I found this thread... very interesting.. was going to buy Shine On which cost about 4x what Zep can do. My 20 yo beast needs a major facelift and this could be my answer... ;)

Seeing this is an interior product... What effect on the shine when it comes to UV... any comments on this

I want to remove my old pin stripping... not sure if I want to put them back on... BUT... if I put on the Zep... and then decide to put back the pin stripping... will it stick

Thanks

Mike

mgfiest said:
Glad I found this thread... very interesting.. was going to buy Shine On which cost about 4x what Zep can do. My 20 yo beast needs a major facelift and this could be my answer... ;)

Seeing this is an interior product... What effect on the shine when it comes to UV... any comments on this

I want to remove my old pin stripping... not sure if I want to put them back on... BUT... if I put on the Zep... and then decide to put back the pin stripping... will it stick

Thanks

Mike

1, i think i would do the pin stripe first or id say it wouldnt stick at all. (you have to clean any wax off anything to stick something to it)

2, i did my TT about 3 months ago and it sits out in the direct sun and it hasnt fazed it a bit still looks like the day i put it on :)

also a tip (maybe)  i put my wax in a spray bottle and sprayed a small amount on the TT then rubbed it in works great and no open cans/bottles to get spilt ;)

The wet look floor finish is not a wax, there is no wax in it. It is an acrylic clear coat. Washes up with ammonia. Each successive coat dissolves and merges with previous coat. I went right over my vinyl stripes, then stumbled into info about it lifting off of dark graphics in southern sun and heat. It sure does revive the shine.

Bill

I have a 1996 Allegro and I used the ZEP and I put 5 coats on mine about a year and a half ago it still gooks great. I live in Texas and there  is plenty of sun and heat. No sign of yellowing, it brought back my decals and I have added additional pin striping over the ZEP it is sticking very well. As earlier posts Zep is like clear coating and it bonds to previous applications. My basement doors were painted metal they are holding up great. My friend had a old fiberglass ranger boat 1974 I believe we did his boat and he was so pleased with it he went and  bought new seat and carpet.

tnguy said:
ok i "tried" reading through this whole post looking to see if it works on aluminum siding on a travel trailer???  i got so distracted looking at all the motorhome pictures i lost track of what i started out doing LOL :)

thanks

I to would like to know if this works with the painted aluminum trailers.......

jagnweiner said:
Detergent shouldn't be a problem.  The Zep is an acrylic coating that requires a special stripper to remove.
And make sure, when you pick up that special stripper, to get her a new stripper pole...
Also remember to tip her well.........

Redbeard said:
I to would like to know if this works with the painted aluminum trailers.......
It might work fine on non-polished, or even polished aluminum, but I got some on my bright metal wheel simulators and it gave them a hazy look.  I had to remove it.

This looks like what I am looing for my 2004 sightseer looks so old - this past winter was very hard on it.

When it starts to dull do you have to strip it all off and start over or just wash and apply another (some) more coats?

Mine looked great for a long time but got hazy and spots that looked like mold formed under the coating. It's a real problem to remove, so far I've used the stripper mixed, straight, lacquer thinner (works best but I cant handle the fumes), pressure sprayer, ammonia, 409, and finally I sanded it with 1000 grit wet or dry and polished with 3M compound.  Half of it is done and it looks better than it ever has.

Will,
What constitutes "a long time"?
Mine has been on since 2011 and still looks great.  Hope I'm not getting to it's end of life.

We have the same potential mold and mildew problems here in NC that you have in Fla, so that concerns me a little.  I did put on a refresher coat last spring, and I put a small amount of bleach in my wash water which may have discouraged any mold growth.

I've been a big proponent of RMP-3 and ZEP, so I hate to hear the my baby has an ugly side. ;) :D

I know what you mean Lou, I was sold on it too. I think I had one of  my buddies put it on in January of 2012 about the time I went on oxy and he went on unemployment. That makes 2 1/2 years. I made the mistake of pressure washing it with a 3000psi sprayer. That took some of it off and probably pushed some moisture into the coating.

The 1000 grit sanding and polishing is the way to go if a person has the time and ability. The old girl looks better than she ever has and has changed color towards the lighter side also. I expect the drivers side to take me a week to sand and polish.

Quick report on mine, not quite a year later. 4 coats and RV has been parked 99% of the time, same side facing south. South side now looks like the Zep was absorbed by the old paint. The south side  of the fiberglass front cap still looks like I just did it, so does the north side and rear cap. Rear cap has no side exposure. I intended 1 or 2 more coats this year anyway as I really cut into the paint, you could feel the deepness of the oxidization with your fingertips.

Bill

I am so glad I ran across this thread a few weeks ago. We have a 95 Newmar Kountry Star. And I can say that 38 ft feels more like 38 miles when you're struggling with how to restore the finish. But in just 15 hours or so I have singlehandedly turned my land boat into a yacht using this method. Can't say enough thank you's to Doug.

Attachments

• 20150803_102531_zpseejhrmx7.JPG
    20150803_102531_zpseejhrmx7.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150803_102514_zpsyuugcd7v.JPG
    20150803_102514_zpsyuugcd7v.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 46
  • 20150803_102502_zpsaheehm22.JPG
    20150803_102502_zpsaheehm22.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 46
Hello

I've been reading through this thread for couple days now debating whether I should try it or not.  Well I finally broke down and purchased
Doug's suggested list of items and went to work today.  I'm not finished with the M/H yet but with the section that I did get finished I was amazed at how good it looks.  We have a 1999 Rexhall Aerbus, it still looks good but the fiber-glass ends were starting to lose their shine, I can say not no more.  Question:  once it's finished and it has the road grime back on it, if I understand what I've been reading mild soap and water will clean, it up can you at some point wax that area?

Eldon and Bert (Roberta)

I posted in Oct of 2013 That I ZEPed my 1996 Allegro about a year and a half ago it now has been 3 and a half years I have fiberglass end caps and sides my doors are aluminum and painted I applied ZEP to all areas and have done a light touch up coat to caps and the basement doors. The sides still look great. No signs of cracking or flaking. I use DAWN dish soap to wash my coach. I have a good friend he has a 1994 Winne Brave we did his coach about a year ago he was going to get it repainted so now he is totally sold on the ZEP . My coach sits outside about 10 mos. a year in the TEXAS sun. I think the secret to a good job is all in the prep of the coach Bar Keepers Friend and scrub it completely and apply ZEP with a micro fiber towel  and very thin coats. I did 5 coats. Touch up with Zep same thing thin coats.  Keep the shining   

sorry to drag up such an old post, lots of good detailed information but I still have at least one question.
my mh has yellowed, or at least it appears yellowed, maybe yellow is a bad way to describe it, its off white, not sure if thats the original color although it doesnt match the painted front clip. will this method remove the yellowing?
another ?, I have taken a polisher and hit a few areas, I used nothing more than mothers carnauba cleaner wax and the spots are very smooth and shine a lot better than the area around it I did not do, does it make sense to go through this process or should I possibly just polish and call it done.

Back
Top Bottom