Verizon may change 4G LTE spectrum - Confused yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Gstore_Matt

Unless you have an antenna or amplifier this won't really affect you, but if they change bands it could further complicate amplifiers. Right now Verizon is using the 'C' block on the 700Mhz band, which is what the 4G LTE amplifiers are designed for. They're now looking to pickup some of the AWS band (Typically 1700/2100Mhz) that T-Mobile primarily uses for 4G HSPA+

More details available here - Verizon Wireless to conduct Spectrum License Sale

Looks like things might get even more confusing with all these different bands  ???

Eventually 4g will become standard and totally replace 3g, so will occupy the same spectrum that 3g now has (800 Mhz and 1900 Mhz) in addition to the new spectrum(s).  But that will be a long time coming because it obsoletes all current 3g equipment (just like the switch from analog to digital did some years back). Maybe 10 years. Maybe even more.

Probably even longer than ten years Gary. There was a discussion a few months ago on this forum about whether or not 4g would replace 3g so I wrote an email to Verizon asking if 4g would replace 3g. I got a call from a very nice customer service guy who explained to me that their 4g and 3g networks would be working side by side for many years to come.

My 4G USB modem works just fine on a 3G network. Is the same true if I take my old 3G modem into a 4G environment. Wouldn't that mean that all systems would be compatible.

Wireless internet companies are trying to grab spectrum wherever they can steel it, Hams. Military, GPS, they don't care who they displace.. So long as they get theirs.

Thankfully the FCC does care, one company which was encroaching on GPS got slapped down hard recently (Light squared)

Just found out that Macon Ga. Verizon rolled out 4G today. That's near me, maybe soon.

Supposedly rolled out in Ocala, Fl, this week as well. But I've got over a year to go to be able to upgrade my Droid X to 4g - unless Verizon decides to bribe me into it.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom