When your hair and teeth fall out - eat lots of bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
zzyzx said:
When I go to bed I undress in the bathroom and brush my teeth, take out my contacts, etc.
I assume you take your teeth out before you brush them and the etc. refers to taking off your toupee, and maybe a false leg or two?

geodrake said:
I assume you take your teeth out before you brush them and the etc. refers to taking off your toupee, and maybe a false leg or two?
Well false teeth are my next project. I am saving up for them right now and should have them by October. I still have a nice head of hair thanks to taking lots of B vitamins all my life especially Inositol, which is a B vitamin that promotes hair growth. During the 70s I used to have to clear my hair from the drain when I showered at least twice per shower. I found out about Inositol and started taking it and my hair stopped falling out. I have a nice head of hair now thanks to that. I don't have a false leg either, thank god, since I will hike 5 to 10 miles a day when I am shooting birds.

I have no need for false teeth; I brush my teeth after every meal, exercise (well, walk) every day and, thanks to a great cook, eat 'healthy'. Don't need to ingest any chemical substances to prevent my hair falling out, and always have to explain the term "hippy" to the young hairdressers  :(

I need false teeth because I have been terrible about taking proper care of my teeth all my life. I hated brushing my teeth and only did so occasionally. I am paying the price now.

Everything that you put into your body is a chemical substance, including Inositol, which is a vitamin. My father had lost most of his hair by age 50 and so did my brother, so I am guessing hair loss is partly hereditary.

I've brushed my teeth after every meal since I was in kindergarten. Used to take my toothbrush and toothpaste to school every day, and received lots of strange looks (the UK is was not known for dental hygiene).

Hair loss isn't hereditary in our family. My Dad lost most of his hair before I was born. His Dad had a tremendous head of hair until he died. My sons (in their 40's) have had little hair for a number of years.

Be careful what you put in your mouth; It may blow up in your face:

At the 1936 meeting of the American Chemical Society, professor Edward Bartow of the University of Iowa presented a commercially viable means of extracting large amounts of inositol from waste corn. As a possible use for the chemical, he suggested inositol nitrate as a more stable alternative to nitroglycerin. Today, inositol nitrate is used to gelatinize nitrocellulose, and thus can be found in many modern explosives and solid rocket propellants.

Ever heard the song "Fly me to the moon"?

Other uses include:

"Inositol has been used as an adulterant (or cutting agent) in many illegal drugs, such as cocaine, methamphetamine, and sometimes heroin. It is presumed that this use is connected with one or more of the substance's properties of solubility, powdery texture, or reduced sweetness (50%) as compared with more common sugars."

The source for these extracts was linked in my earlier message.

Maybe I should eat a lot of bread to prevent my hair falling out  ???

Meanwhile, I await the arrival of one of our resident qualified chemists, which I'm certainly not.

Wow, never heard of inositol either use.  Learn something new every day. 

Kind of figured the screen would work like that, the screened windshield covers are the same.  What the hek, if it looks like a TV, give them the Rocky Horror Show!Backlight yourself and start cutting a melon or something. 

b
Tom said:
Maybe I should eat a lot of bread to prevent my hair falling out  ???
Ever since I found out that inositol is a B vitamin and there is lots of B vitamins in bread I have been eating a whole lot of bread every day. I love to stop in Smith's and buy a bag of rolls and eat about three a day. I eat them plain with nothing on it because I love the taste of bread. You aren't having a problem with your hair falling out so you don't need a lot of bread.  I have also been eating a lot of bread and taking B vitamins because I had arthritis problems in the 70s and the bread and B have cleared that up.

OK, I'm off my bre(a)ds.

Too bad. I miss the days of going to the bakery (next door) as a kid, watching the bakers hand-kneed the bread dough and use long paddles to put it in the oven. I'd wait for the next loaf to come out and, before I got home, I'd eaten out the center of the loaf.

Tom said:
I'd wait for the next loaf to come out and, before I got home, I'd eaten out the center of the loaf.
I would have eaten the entire loaf before I got home. I am a sucker for warm bread. When I shop at a grocery store with a bakery I always feel the packages of bread loafs looking for warm bread.

Tom said:
Be careful what you put in your mouth; It may blow up in your face:

At the 1936 meeting of the American Chemical Society, professor Edward Bartow of the University of Iowa presented a commercially viable means of extracting large amounts of inositol from waste corn. As a possible use for the chemical, he suggested inositol nitrate as a more stable alternative to nitroglycerin. Today, inositol nitrate is used to gelatinize nitrocellulose, and thus can be found in many modern explosives and solid rocket propellants.

Ever heard the song "Fly me to the moon"?

Other uses include:

"Inositol has been used as an adulterant (or cutting agent) in many illegal drugs, such as cocaine, methamphetamine, and sometimes heroin. It is presumed that this use is connected with one or more of the substance's properties of solubility, powdery texture, or reduced sweetness (50%) as compared with more common sugars."

The source for these extracts was linked in my earlier message.
I am not sure of the intent of this post but you are comparing apples to oranges. Here is a list from the Wikipedia article you are quoting of the the different forms of inositol:

allo-Inositol
cis-Inositol
D-chiro-Inositol
epi-Inositol
L-chiro-Inositol
muco-Inositol
neo-Inositol
scyllo-Inositol
Inositol 1-methyltransferase
Inositol 3-methyltransferase
Inositol 4-methyltransferase
Inositol nicotinate
Inositol phosphate
Inositol trisphosphate
Inositol pentakisphosphate
Inositol hexaphosphate
Inositol triphosphate receptor
Inositol hexanicotinate

This is a description of the vitamin inositol:

Inositol is a water-soluble member of the B complex vitamins and is also known as lipotropic factor.

This vitamin is found in both plant and animal tissues and in cereals it is present as phytic acid. 

Insositol is phosphorus based.

The body?s intestinal bacteria are able to produce inositol from glucose, however some of this vitamin may be lost into cooking water.

There are no known toxic effects to this vitamin...

There many forms of inositol just like there are many forms of water, fresh water, salt water, heavy water, polluted water, etc. However fresh water is the only form of water one would actually ingest.

Bottom line is I have been taking inositol for my hair for over 40 years and my hair looks good and I am in great health.

As I said, I'm not a chemist and await an expert to decipher it all.

I don't take anything for my hair and it's doing fine, wherever it is :D

When I was a kid, I never understood why so many old folks wore caps  ???  It sure wasn't to provide protection from the sun - we used to joke it rains 366 days a year  ;D  Thanks to this discussion, I'm starting to understand it might have had something to do with diet.

.... the etc. refers to taking off .... maybe a false leg or two?

Many years ago we used to RV with another couple and the parents of the wife. The father had lost his lower leg on one side during a work-related accident years earlier. This didn't stop him driving his car or his RV. He'd get a kick out of taking his lower leg off, complete with shoe, and leave it outside the shower stall at a campground. He'd hear gasps and other "surprised" sounds while he showered.

WOW, this really the place to learn things. Scares the he-- out of me sometimes.

When I was young I had hair to my shoulders, then I got married, well.

Don't care if the rest goes, just have to comb it every day, what a chore.

Back
Top Bottom