B Van Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

I'm curious after reading some tire threads on the forum, if blow outs are as dangerous on B size vans as they are on the larger units. I suspect that the larger units it would be much more dangerous. Any blow out can have bad consequences but wondering if anyone has had any experience. How high of pressure are in a B van tire, if that isn't too general of a question?

It's just a van, although loaded to near its max GVWR.  Probably a load range E tire and 60-80 psi?

There are two dangers from a blow out: (1) loss of control and (2) damage to the body & chassis. The danger of loss of control is pretty much the same for any vehicle and not dependent on psi or size. Potential for damage to the body increases somewhat with tire psi and size, though mostly the problem for any motorhome is that there is more "stuff" that can be torn up, e.g. plumbing, wiring, etc.

This applies only to my Winnebago ERA on the Mercedes/Sprinter 3500 chassis (dual rear wheels).

According to the Mercedes dealer the fronts should be at 70 PSI and the dual rears at 60 PSI. This is different than the sticker on the door and in the manual. After testing both I find that the vehicle seems to handle and ride better at the dealers recommendation. I am going in for service this week and will be asking them to confirm and put in writing for me. Others have suggested that the vehicle should be weighed. Front/rear/each wheel etc. etc. I personally am not going to do this. If it were a Class A it might be more critical. I am never loaded to the MAX. In fact I travel very light generally.

The RV dealer I purchased my ERA from can offer no guidance in this regard and neither can Winnebago when I contacted them. It seems that once the vehicle is manufactured and then sold ... most just want to wipe their hands of you. At least this is my experience.

I will be monitoring tire wear and at some point in time I may get a set of the tire pressure monitoring systems. At the moment they are not on my priority list.

Not sure that this helps.

Pehaps someone that has experienced a blowout on the sprinter chassis can chime in with their experience.

Hi Gary and all,

Thanks for the input on B Van tires. I've been to a couple of tire websites that give advise and have a safety tips area. Tire blow outs are something to be avoided if possible. You can't always control though what is in the road and can experience a blowout when you least expect it. Maintaining composure and having a plan before a blowout are in order if you remember during an emergency situation. Best and thanks!

I have 20k miles on my Michelins, and I think I'll get at least another 30k, which are on my 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous on a 2005 Mercedes Sprinter van chassis. I recently added nitrogen to the tires, and you definitely can feel the road (every piece of gravel) more than when you have air in the tires. Supposed to extend life of tire and increase mileage. Michelin makes the most perfectly round tire, experts have told me.

camperAL said:
I'm curious after reading some tire threads on the forum, if blow outs are as dangerous on B size vans as they are on the larger units. I suspect that the larger units it would be much more dangerous. Any blow out can have bad consequences but wondering if anyone has had any experience. How high of pressure are in a B van tire, if that isn't too general of a question?

This is a question that has perplexed me since the day I bought my ERA. There seems to be so many differing opinions.

FIRST A POINT OF CORRECTION: On my earlier post I said the Mercedes Dealer said 70 PSI for the front and 60 PSI for the rear. That should be reversed based on my conversation with them this morning.

FRONT: 60 PSI
REAR: 70 PSI

This is different than the sticker on the door which reads:

FRONT: 55 PSI
REAR: 61 PSI

The dealer is suggesting that if you are carrying near your full carrying capacity that you should have the higher PSI. The tires are rated at 80 PSI maximum so I figure I am within that range.

I am planning to get a TPMS. I will have them prior to taking my big trips which will be 2-3 months in duration. I will also carry my own air compressor to add air as necessary.

ailixhomes said:
Hi Karst, I read your whole post about B Van Tires. This is very useful post for me because my friend needs this B van tires. Now I have very nice information about B van tires. Because of you have this valuable info.

Just as a followup to my last post. I have indeed got the Doran 360RV tire pressure monitoring system on my vehicle now. I love it ... it gives me some peace of mind, plus I don't have to get out every day and check the pressure manually. I do check periodically to make sure the the system and my tire pressure gauge are in agreement as to air pressure and so far so good.

So as for me ... I highly recommend some form of TPMS.

This is an interesting video from Michelin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwOE1yKY5c

Back
Top Bottom