What are the best Make/Model Class "C" Motorhomes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

Ok, I have been on this forum a little over a month and researching everywhere for a nice Class "C" MH. I have discovered so many online and within a couple hundred miles from me here in southern California. I don't want to spend a fortune to purchase one but I also don't want a bottom line MH which may turn in to an extreme money pit with repairs and maintenance costs either. From my view of looking at each of the MH's they all appear to be really wonderful vehicles, but when I read some of the posts on here I have noticed there are some that many people really don't care about at all.

This will be my 1st MH ever and I want it to be special and fun for the family. I plan to take this MH out at least once every two months for weekend camping trips, and more than likely 1 or 2 nice long road trips a year. We are a family of 3 and I'm not really looking for anything fancy. Please list the Makes/Models that you feel would be the best fit. We would like a "C" Class around 25ft.

Thank you,
Josh 

Stay away from the Coachmen brand. They are poorly constructed and problematic.

Lazy Daze
Born Free
Many Class C MHs have water leak problems with the over cab extensions. The two brands that I listed are full fiberglass castings and are void of seams on the roof. JMHO

Richard

Look at Leisure Travel and Triple E. Quality looks good. But the real question is, which C's have the most reliable appliances and accessories? They're either on Ford or  Mercedes Sprinter Van chassises these days.

I 2nd Richard. A used Born Free or Lazydaze with their steel roll cages can't be beat for quality and safety by most new anything else. They go fast. Both factory websites have links to new units and RVSearch.com or rvt.com will search for them and allow you to leave an active search.

Take a look at the new company, Nexus RV.  They only make class C coaches, and you deal directly with the company. They will build to your specs. There are no dealers, but they will guarantee that they will provide a service facility in your area.
The prices are very competitive and the coaches look great.  No, I do not own one, in fact I have a class A, but if I were ever to consider a C again, I would check them out.

By the way, I did own a class C for 15 years and had no problem with leaks.  Quality construction can easily overcome what was a long standing issue.

http://www.nexusrv.com/

Edit: Fix URL

I second the Born Free no-leak roof. Mine is a '95 and I have never had a roof leak. I've had to reseal the windows and doors, but of course these things need maintenance just like a house  ::)

Winnebago Outlook Class C hands down! You will pay more, but you will see the quality difference once you step inside a Winnebago.

Scott  :)

We've owned two LazyDaze class Cs, a 22' and a 30', and loved them both.  They were virtually trouble-free, and never had any roof problems because they're fiberglass.  Ed Newton, the person who started LazyDaze, was originally in the aircraft industry and he was one of the first to use fiberglass sides and roofs.  It is still family owned, now run by Ed's son.  The employees stay forever because it's a good place to work, and their children also come into the business.

You mentioned being in southern California.  LazyDaze is in Montclair/Pomona so a trip to the factory would be well worth your time.  When we originally bought our Lazy Dazes we thought they were a better value than Born Free.  I don't recall the first one having any issues when we got it.  The second one had a toilet hookup wrong (hot water to the toilet!) and it was easily fixed with a phone call to the factory while we were driving home.  One of the two later had an underbay door leak that we didn't know for a long time because we were in one of California's droughts.  LazyDaze fixed it while we were on a trip out of the country.  I don't recall ever having any other problems.  The only reason we sold them was to move up to a Class A diesel pusher.  We've recommended LazyDaze for a long time and would buy another one if we ever returned to a Class C.

ArdraF

thomasamski said:
Stay away from the Coachmen brand. They are poorly constructed and problematic.
I ressemble that remark.  My Coachmen is older so maybe things have changed since it was built in 2000, but I find the construction to be quite good.  Granted, I had a roof leak problem, but that was because of poor or no maintenance on the part of the PO(s).

Oldedit mentioned Triple E, I had an 1987 28" for 21 years, and had a lot of repairs done in that time. The worst was roof and sidewall leaks. I wish I had known about Eternabond tape when I owned it. That stuff works wonderfully well on roof seams. I could not sell our '87 for much because of the water damage. I would call our Triple E just average for constuction.

I have recently looked at the Nexus videos and am overly impressed by them.  The only other Class C/B+ coaches I feel are over and above the usually named top companies, Born Free, Lazy Daze, and Winnebago, are Phoenix Cruisers and Coach House.  (and the RIP Chinooks of the mid-2000s.)  Those 3 to me not only join the top group, but might actually surpass them in many respects.  The company videos they produce tell you so much about them, their quality, and thoughtfulness in the building and design processes.

The price point of the Nexus C's have won me over so far as maybe the best quality and price.  Gotta watch their videos if in market for a Class C.

Same for Phoenix Cruiser videos if you can live with a little bit smaller unit.  Being able to buy a new Nexus for price of a 4 yr old Phoenix Cruiser is what will probably be the nail in the coffin for me.

SissyBoyFloyd said:
I have recently looked at the Nexus videos and am overly impressed by them.  The only other Class C/B+ coaches I feel are over and above the usually named top companies, Born Free, Lazy Daze, and Winnebago, are Phoenix Cruisers and Coach House.  (and the RIP Chinooks of the mid-2000s.)  Those 3 to me not only join the top group, but might actually surpass them in many respects.  The company videos they produce tell you so much about them, their quality, and thoughtfulness in the building and design processes.

The price point of the Nexus C's have won me over so far as maybe the best quality and price.  Gotta watch their videos if in market for a Class C.

Same for Phoenix Cruiser videos if you can live with a little bit smaller unit.  Being able to buy a new Nexus for price of a 4 yr old Phoenix Cruiser is what will probably be the nail in the coffin for me.

All that having been said, I have spent today researching and learning about Dynamax new Class C's Isata 4 for 2018.  They only make 2 floor plans, a 25' and 31'.  They include just about everything standard with an addition of about 6 things a lot of us would want.  They are one of the only one's now that come with a full 2 yr warranty on the coach part, instead of the standard 1 yr by most everyone else.  I love the 31 DSF model but it maxes out at $144k.  However, I found a dealer that would sell one for $99k fully loaded.  I wasn't thinking of going that high for a new or used unit, but staying within a 4 or 5 yr old range with very low miles, it seems like one is going to be around $60-70k anyways.  I am starting to think, after buying used and then fixing whatever or adding what you want that it may not have yet, $99k for a top of the line completely loaded Class C with full 2 yr warranty and every conceivable option (like solar, satellite TV, auto levelers, etc), that may just be the right way to go for someone like me who is planning on cutting all cords and going full time and forever off the grid.  I am farily sure it would last me, the way I take care of things, the rest of my 10-15 yrs of life with few problems and unexpected costs.

Beware low payloads on the Nexus rigs. Check them carefully, some are under 1000 pounds as I learned when I asked the owner of the company at the Tampa RV show.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
So you will buy the Phoenix, right?

At the last second I am sure I will throw myself a curve and do something unimagined like buy a 6 yr old Class A for $50-60k.  If I were to get enough money from my home and selling all my belongings, I would probably go with the new Isata 4 31er with the 2 yr warranty.  Besides that, the only thing for sure is that I will change my mind every week or two.

Warranties are sales tools. There's a reason why Honda and Toyota have the worst warranties in the auto industry, hint, they don't need it to sell their cars. There's also a reason that FCA & Hyundai have the best, hint, they need it to sell their  vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom