100 million transistors on the head of a pin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254261/13_quadcore_intel_ivy_bridge_chips_expected.html

Try and wrap your head around the numbers being thrown about in the video at the end of the article. Moore's Law is alive and well.

Remember when a transistor was in a can with 3 leads 3/4" long hanging out the bottom. I soldered a lot of those in.

Back in the late 60s the University of Texas at Arlington was given outdated equipment by Texas Instruments for our labs.
I remember how thrilled I was when I constructed A (as in one) diode using gas diffusion.
My how things have changed!!!

I got me first transistor in 1959 when I pestered my parents into getting me a 6 transistor radio for Christmas. The next Christmas I pestered them into getting me a 9 transistor radio since my 6 transistor radio was now obsolete. That started a trend that continues to this day, gotta have the latest and the best.

zzyzx said:
I got me first transistor in 1959 when I pestered my parents into getting me a 6 transistor radio for Christmas. The next Christmas I pestered them into getting me a 9 transistor radio since my 6-transistor radio was now obsolete. That started a trend that continues to this day, gotta have the latest and the best.
I got my 1st 6 transistor radio about then, too.  It cost me $20.  Even as things progressed, they progressed rather slowly.  I joined the Navy in '60 and went to electronics school.  At that time transistors were only mentioned as "new technology coming soon to a radar near you".  A co-worker at a Zenith color TV plant where I worked in the early 70's, bought and built a Heath Kit 4-function calculator with mostly discrete transistors and a single IC (I think).  It cost $100, but it did have a leather carrying case.  The televisions we were building then only had 3 or 4 transistors in them - hybrids they were called.

If the days of "discrete" components has about come to an end, will the new stuff be "indiscrete"? :eek: ::)

Back
Top Bottom