Question for a Computer Guru...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca1369

I just upgraded to a new (to me) computer with Windows 7 (up from XP).  Everything was working fine until the other day.  When I searched through ads on Craigslist I would click on a blue link and after I returned to the list, the link I visited showed maroon, standard stuff.  That way I could tell which ads I had already looked at.  Two days ago my computer stopped changing the link color, they remain blue and I don't know what I might have done to cause this.  I've looked in Internet Options and found nothing there that seemed to indicate a change had been made of if there was something I could do to change back. 

Does anybody have an idea of what's wrong and what I can do to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance!

If you refresh the page (F5) does the link stay blue or does it change color?

Ned said:
If you refresh the page (F5) does the link stay blue or does it change color?

That's the first thing I tried.  Refresh the page and the links still stay blue.

Look in IE | Tools | Internet Options - General tab - "Color" button.  Make sure "Use Windows Colors" is checked.  If it is already checked, try unchecking it and select "OK" and close IE.  Reopen IE and go back and reset it to "Use Windows Colors".  Might work, might not.

Molaker said:
Look in IE | Tools | Internet Options - General tab - "Color" button.  Make sure "Use Windows Colors" is checked.  If it is already checked, try unchecking it and select "OK" and close IE.  Reopen IE and go back and reset it to "Use Windows Colors".  Might work, might not.

The plot thickens...

I tried this just now.  I unchecked it, hit OK, and closed.  Reopened IE, went to CL and opened a link.  It saved the link in maroon.  Then I tried another link, and another, and another ten, and none of them changed to maroon, they stayed blue and the box in IE Options remains unchecked, so now I'm even more confused.  Thanks for the idea though!!!

carson said:
How about trying a cold/hard reboot of the computer. Worked for me on a similar problem.

Thanks Carson, but I've done that several times, at least twice daily.  I can live with the problem, but I'd like to know what happened.

Molaker said:
Is this you?  A geek forum.  If not, maybe it can help.

Thanks for the link!!!  No, that wasn't me, but the thread gave me the answer.  Someone suggested in a post that deleting the history would do the trick.  I tried that.  I deleted temporary Internet files and the history and now the links are being saved in maroon.  So far so good. 

Another thing to check...  otherwise the problem may come back.  I believe what's happening is that you are seeing cached pages stored on your system, which you cleared by deleting your history.  As you surf you may have the same problem again as the cache loads.

Go into "Internet Options" -> "General" tab, "Browsing History" section and click the "Settings" button.

Make sure the first selection "Check for newer versions of Stored Pages" is set to "Every time I visit the web page" to force a reload of the Craiglist pages (and any others) after you browse.

emiddleb said:
Another thing to check...  otherwise the problem may come back.  I believe what's happening is that you are seeing cached pages stored on your system, which you cleared by deleting your history.  As you surf you may have the same problem again as the cache loads.

Go into "Internet Options" -> "General" tab, "Browsing History" section and click the "Settings" button.

Make sure the first selection "Check for newer versions of Stored Pages" is set to "Every time I visit the web page" to force a reload of the Craiglist pages (and any others) after you browse.

Thanks, I'll try that.  I also upped my "disk space to use" from 250 to 512.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom