Trip video logs and video security - any experience or thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonetree

Hi,
I was browsing in an electronics store on the weekend and they had an isle of home video security products. This set me to thinking...

It has been an intention of mine to set up my HandyCam on the dash in some form of timelapse mode recording our trips. But I never get to it, as we always have other more pressing things to get done before and during a trip than messing with the camera, tapes (lots of tapes), power cords, suction-cups...

So, these security kits come with 2 or 4 outdoor cameras, a digital recorder that can record all 4 cameras for days and invariably run of 12 volts with external wall warts for power. It would be a cinch to wire it up in my RV and have a permanent installation which basically always records say front, back and side views whenever the engine is running. ( Or? the switch is pressed, but I would forget to do it. ) Then I realy got on a roll as there are little security cameras that can move around, point different ways remote controlled. Brilliant to put one over the door. For site security. And the backup camera feed can go into on of the channels as well.

Anyway, before I get to far of into dream land, has anyone got any experience with such things? Or heard of doing such travel video logs? Would insurance companies give us discounts if such a system was installed?

I would be interested in any toughts or feedback on this scheme of mine.

Regards, Lonetree.

Been thinking of something like that myself, however funds are not a-popping just now, even if they are fairly cheep

The big thing is the vast amount of footage I'd have to slog through,,, that is what really stops me

There would be a lot of video. But these dgital recorders have very convenient navigation options and are random access so you never have to wind through a tape to get to the point of interest. Even motion detection to find areas or times when 'interesting' stuff is happening. Still pricey, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom