Android apps for the Nook tablet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Since buying my Nook tablet last weekend, I've been familiarizing myself with options beyond my Nook content that was automatically available on the device after I registered it.

There are numerous Android apps for the Nook tablet, but only a small fraction of what's available on the Android Market; It feels a little like the iTunes restriction - you get what they decide you have access to. It also feels like the majority of Nook apps are games &/or kids stuff. Meanwhile, B&N have opened the developer route for Android developers to upload their apps.

One no-brainer app I installed was the Dolphin browser, which is far superior to Nook's built-in browser.

There are ways to 'root' the Nook, including double-boot methods, which would open the Nook to the entire Android Market. But I'd prefer to keep this simple. Some folks who rooted their Nook were surprised when an automatic upgrade un-rooted their device. There are ways around this also, including forcing the Nook to run an older version of Android, but I don't find this an acceptable way to go.

Amazon has opened their own version of Android Market and, just for the heck of it, I searched there for Nook apps. Their search engine returned a number of apps, but they're really Android apps, not necessarily for Nook. No surprise, given that Nook competes with Kindle.

Meanwhile, I've especially enjoyed the Smithsonian Channel app on the Nook; Some fascinating videos and other content.

Many Android apps aren't appropriate for the Nook or Kindle Fire as those devices don't have some of the hardware that the Android phones and other tablets do.  The Fire, for example, has no GPS or camera(s) so apps that depend on them won't work.  The Nook may be closer to a pure Android device than the Fire, but the Fire has captured 54% of the Android tablet market.

I've found the combination of the Fire and the Bionic to work very well, they complement each other nicely.

My comments were made in the full knowledge that the Nook tablet does not have either GPS or a camera.

We also have a Nook Color and I felt the same way about rooting it, until I learned that you can be an inexpensive SD card that you simply insert and the Nook boots to it.  We've used this for about 3 months now with outstanding results, and it opens up a whole new world of options for the Nook Color.

We bought it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMKAKS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Hope this helps!
Chad

You can read about our families fulltime RV adventures see sig line.

Thanks Chad. I have a Nook tablet, not a Nook Color (see the subject line), and that page specifically says:

For Nook Color Only!!! Nook Tablet solution in development.

BTW please don't repeatedly post links to your blog; Click the Rules button in the toolbar above for an explanation. TIA.

I hate to highjack this, but do any of you know if that Android system is available on a 32g card for the Nook Color ? Or do you think it would be possible to transfer it from a 8g (or 16g) card to the 32g card ?  I don't know if they install some kind of software to keep people from copying the system.

My wife has a Nook Color with a 32g card.  While she hasn't come close to filling it up, we really don't want to "step back" to a 16g card.

Something like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nook-Color-to-Android-32GB-Triple-Boot-microSD-Memory-Card-Android-2-3-4-0-N2A-/270950190339?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f15e3cd03

[quote author=Tom]For Nook Color Only!!! Nook Tablet solution in development.[/quote]

This morning I saw (stumbled upon) this and this for the Nook Tablet.

I have had good luck with the N2A for the Nook Color for quite a while now.  It adds a whole new dimension to the Nook.  The N2A website http://www.n2acards.com/ supports the products well.  Initial installation was a snap.  A recent update to the Android system was a little bit tricky but the website has very detailed instructions and the update went well.  There is no need to "root" and risk destroying the Nook.  To totally remove the new dual boot capability you just remove the SD and you are back to the original Nook-only system.  The only drawback are the apps themselves - some of them assume you are putting them on a smart phone and rely on some of the phone features which the Nook doesn't have, of course.

I wonder what's the difference between the ebay and amazon cards to justify the price difference ?  I see the ebay card is a class 4 card.  I wonder what the amazon cards are ?  Either way, it looks like I'll have buy for the old girl soon, lol.

I'm still in my trial period for the Nook Tablet, trying to give it a good workout, and the jury is still out. I've experienced several instances of the device locking up and requiring a hard reset; Fortunately, the reset doesn't wipe out my data or apps. I haven't observed a pattern, or figured out what triggers a lockup, but two occurred while using the Nook, and another one (or two?) prevented the Nook from turning on.

Anyone else experience lockups with their Nook Tablet?

Yesterday I drove a friend to a Best Buy store; He'd ordered a Samsung Galaxy sight unseen from another store, but hasn't yet picked it up. He has several days to cancel, and was interested in a hands-on demo and the opportunity to compare other tablets. IMO there really are only three contenders - iPad (2 or 3), Samsung Galaxy, and Azus Transformer, each with their own pros and cons.

In the interests of bringing this to a conclusion, today I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 at a BB store. This tablet doesn't suffer from the iTunes-like limitations of B&N Nook products, and doesn't require a multi-boot option to access Android apps. I have 30 days to decide if this is the product I want.

Night & day difference between the Tab and Nook. The Nook is a reader that can do some tablet stuff, while the Tab is a full function Android device. Ya get what you pay for (mostly).

Also a big difference in the 10" tablet vs. the 7" Nook.  I can see a place for both, but for me, I'm happy with my 7" Fire, for now.

This was/is a Nook Tablet, not a Nook reader. Apart from screen size, and Android version notwithstanding, I don't know what can be done on the Galaxy that can't be done on the Nook, given the appropriate app.

B&N put their own front end on it which, in addition to giving easy access to their bookstore, forces the look & feel of the home page. It also forces downloading of Android apps only from B&N (limited number of apps available). However, using one of the SD-card multi-boot options discussed earlier would bypass the B&N front end and remove the restrictions.

Meanwhile, a B&N app allowed the Galaxy to access my B&N account, making all my B&N content immediately available, and gives the Galaxy a Nook reader look & feel.

For sure, the 10" screen makes some things easier to see and do, with less need for zooming in or scrolling. They probably do have their own place, e.g. I found myself shifting to the Nook Tablet for reading in bed, and I have the weekend to decide if I'll keep both.

The software in the Nook Tablet is considerably modded by B&N. As you noted, it is biased toward getting stuff from B&N.  Not to mention the smaller screen, less memory, no  camera, no GPS, and a slower processor & graphics. Now whether you CARE about any of that stuff is another matter...

Aye, You pays your money and you takes your choice. it's all a tradeoff, and it doesn't take long for this stuff to be out of date. The new version of the Galaxy is due out this month, with a number of upgrades, so I'm already obsolete  :(

Not all "real" tablets have the same hardware, features or ports, as became clear when I was doing my research. So the fact that one has, for example, less memory than another, doesn't make it a non-tablet. The Galaxy 10.1 comes with the choice of 16GB or 32GB, but they're otherwise identical devices, and I could have saved another $50 by going with 16GB. The Galaxy is also available with a smaller screen. Most tablets, including the Nook, have a SD (or micro SD) slot to add up to 32GB of storage.

If the Galaxy was available without one of the two cameras for a lower price, I'd have bought that version. I played a little with the Galaxy front-facing camera yesterday and came to the conclusion that, if I need to take pictures, I'll use my regular DSC camera. I can't see any way I can keep the tablet still while holding it up to take pictures. OTOH I can see using the rear-facing camera to talk with the grandkids via Skype.

The jury is out on whether I'll use GPS on a tablet vs using one of the standalone GPS receivers we have. But an app such as TetherGPS will allow the Nook Tablet to use the GPS feature in an Android phone.

Meanwhile, I'd still be interested in hearing if other Nook Tablet users have experienced the device freezing.

The GPS in a tablet serves for more than navigation, but you probably aren't interested in doing "Check-ins" or finding friends who may be near by.

When it comes down to it, a tablet is just a form factor featuring an integrated screen and processor. It doesn't even have to run iOS or Android, if you want to get picky about it.

No interest in being 'picky'. I judge products by look, feel and functionality, after first doing the research on their specs (I created a spreadsheet of tablet specs before going shopping).

You're right, I have zero interest in letting folks know where I am and finding nearby folks. Way too intrusive for me  ;)

[quote author=Tom]...  I'd still be interested in hearing if other Nook Tablet users have experienced the device freezing.[/quote]

Well I'll be darned. Our daughter and grandkids are with us for the weekend, and we got around to talking about Nooks and tablets this morning. Didn't realize she'd upgraded her original Nook to a Nook color (not the tablet) a year ago, and she was complaining about it freezing up almost continually. She's been back to B&N several times, but only received lip service. I showed her the easiest/quickest way to unfreeze it, but I think she's ready for an alternative or an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom