Schumacher Converter Charger SARVC 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

12ItSun30A

I have an 2012 Itasca Sunova 30A. It has a Schumacher Electric Corp Converter Charger Model SARVC 55. I finely found it of all places in the bathroom between the sink and shower. Where can I get a manual on this unit? I can't find it online and it did not come in my Operator's Manual Supplement.

Thanks, Ron

I can't find it online and it did not come in my Operator's Manual Supplement.

I have a 2012 Winnebago Access with the same unit. My Operator's Manual Supplement does have it listed, but the info is worthless - nothing of any consequence, only one page front and back. I doesn't even address the question of whether or not it is a three-stage charger.

I would (as will I) continue to look for something better.

Ron,

This is a follow-up post. After looking at the single page insert in the OMS, my unit may be different. It is called the Mity-Mite RVCDP Converter, but when I go to the Schumacher web-site and do a search for it, it says nothing matches.

The single page in my OMS does list a phone number: 800-621-5485

Bill

My OMS manual also has a one page, of no value also. It states that mine is a Mity-Mite SARVC. I have been to their website and can't find any thing listed. I have called Schumacher on Friday and the lady told me that she would have a teck call me on Monday. As soon as I get some information I will post it. I finely found my unit after looking at the 12V wiring drawing. Mine is in the bathroom. I took the wood cover off the cabinet and there it was. Info on the unit: Converter Charger 55 Amp; Model SARVC55; input 120VAC, 60Hz, 1,000 watts; output 13VDC, 55 Amps, includes charging and load. I want to know if it is a 3 stage unit or what.
  I had a 2008 Itasca Cambria 26A and it had a Parallax 1 stage unit that boiled my batteries. I bought a PDI unit, 3 stage with charge wizard. That fixed the problem. I have not heard of Schumacher Electric Corp before now. I hope this unit is better.
  Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have the same unit in a 12 Winnebago View.  I have talked to Schumacher and this is a unit made for Winnie.  There is no documentation, but I have found out from Schumacher that this is a single stage charger.  I am in the process of disabling it and putting in an inverter/charger with a four stage charger.

Alan
2012  View 24J

At this point, I am a little disgusted with Winnebago - why put in a single stage charger that will potentially ruin batteries to save a few bucks on a decent charger? Most folks, I am sure would gladly pay a little extra to get a decent 3-stage charger. Yeah, I know, save a buck or two here, a buck or two there, etc. etc.

So, does anyone know the difference between the Mity-Mite SARVC and the Mity-Mite RVCDP? Please post any info you find.

Thanks,
Bill

I called Schumacher Electric Corp again this morning. Phone number 800-621-5485. After a long wait I  got someone to answer. I told her I needed a manual on my Model SARVC55 converter charger unit. She talked to there engineering department and they told her that they would mail me a copy. I gave them my mailing address. Not sure how long this will take to receive the manual. I will post a update as soon as I get the manual.

So, does anyone know the difference between the Mity-Mite SARVC and the Mity-Mite RVCDP? Please post any info you find

I may have answered part of my question. In my OMS, my RVCDP is called a Control Panel. Rather than being buried behind a panel in the bathroom, it has a flip-down front panel and is mounted at foot level in the galley. In addition to being a converter/charger, it also contains 12VDC fuses and 120VAC circuit breakers, so it is the main electrical control panel for the "house portion" of the rig.

However, I still strongly suspect that the charger portion of it is still single stage which means do not leave the rig plugged in for extended periods of time or else the batteries will get boiled off.

Also, why does Winnebago use 12 volt batteries? I paid $147 extra as an option for a second house battery, and what I have are 2 NAPA group 31's. When most tech writers claim that 2 6's wired in series are better than 2 12's wired in parallel, why does Winnebago use 12's?
Surely, the cost difference can't be that great. The reserve capacity on my group 31's is 185 minutes each - don't know how that would compare with 6's.

Bill

There's nothing inherently wrong with 2 12V batteries vs. 4 6V ones.  You need to determine the AH rating for them and not the reserve capacity but 185 min. RC would equate to approximately 120AH, so you have 240AH of capacity.

Did anyone ever find out what kind of charger this unit has? I also have one in my 2011 Sunova and have so far had no issues with it.

The Schumacher SARVC 55 is a single stage 55 amp charger. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics
PD 9260.

Quillback 424 said:
The Schumacher SARVC 55 is a single stage 55 amp charger. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics
PD 9260.

My Sunova 33 is very similar to your rig. What was involved in the replacement? I'm tempted to follow your lead. In particular, how did you access the existing converter?

Sorry I missed your post. The converter is located behind the power distribution panel right at the entrance steps. Just unscrew the panel, pull it out and you will see the converter screwed to the floor. Mine simply plugged into an ac outlet located in that area. If you don't unhook your battery make sure you insulate each battery wire as you unscrew them from the converter. Those batteries will put out tremendous current if the leads are crossed or grounded. You can also access the converter from the storage area under the bathroom sink, but you don't want to.

I have the dongle for forcing the PD converter into the equalizing mode but the instructions caution you to not do it. The dongle also indicates what voltage the converter is producing if you read the code, but you can read the actual battery on your "One Place" (or whatever it is called) console. I simply left the dongle hanging out of the top of the distribution panel cover and will probably put a grove in the wood beside the distribution panel cover rather than trapping the dongle lead with the distribution panel cover as it is now. Hope this helps -- it's an easy one hour job and you'll see that when you open the distribution panel up.

Thanks Larry! I got my PD9260C today and will install it as soon as time permits. I did pull the distribution box just  to check it out and, as you say, it looks like a relatively simple job. My existing converter is screwed to the back wall and it looks like it will be a challenge to reach the bottom screws, but I'm sure I can manage. Thanks for the tip about disconnecting the batteries, I might not have thought of that.

I also worry about my chassis battery, I've never understood why it is not included in the charging system. I ordered a Trik-L-Start to keep it topped off. These two items should keep my batteries in top shape.

Thanks again for the information.

Jim,

Rather than physically disconnecting your house batteries, you should be able to turn off the house battery disconnect switch located by the steps. Make sure you put a volt meter on the DC output terminals to make sure the switch kills the battery to the converter before you start.

I used the Echo rather than the Trick-L-Start but they both do the same thing. And, I agree, you should have a good charging system.

I have the same questions and issues with this converter.  The documentation  is worthless. I was under the assumption that the charger was multi stage based strictly on my observations.

I notice that when I am plugged into 30 amp shore power at home, my OnePlace center reads amps being used.  When I first connect, and with nothing else on, it reads 3 amps.  After it charges for a bit, it will drop an amp until eventually reading zero.    This occurs over several hours, up to a day if the batteries have been depleted significantly.  I had a 2008 Outlook class C that boiled the batteries with a single stage charger in the first 6 months  but 3 years into this 2011 Sunova 33c, nary a problem and my coach is plugged in almost always.  I check batteries every 6 months and although I have added water, I have not seen the level get near the plates.  So, It makes me wonder?  Is it possible that there is a different converter in my coach?  Winnebago said this was what was in it, maybe I need to pull the panel and see for myself.  Any thoughts?

Rorytug said:
I notice that when I am plugged into 30 amp shore power at home, my OnePlace center reads amps being used. ..
Hi and welcome.  Does your charger have a separate control panel?  Reading the AC amperage from the OnePlace energy management panel is just giving you the total AC current load from the entire coach and I wouldn't rely on that for a charge status (for a three-stage that is bulk, absorb, float.)  Voltage might be a better indicator of what's going on.

In any case, you need to determine if you have a three-stage charger, if not, replace it.  Find it and look at the model number and call the manufacturer.  There are several threads here about replacing single stage chargers with three-stage.

I just returned from getting my 2012 Winnebago Adventurer summerized (opposite of winterized), and I got nothing for lights. I haven't tried to check the unhooked voltage on the batteries, may need to replace. I am certainly not a fan of the Schummacher Mity-mite Sarvc converter it has boiled the batteries nearly dry more than once.
Since it looks like the batteries are done I will replace them as well. I will replace the schummacher with the PD, if it's the progressive dynamic that has the charge wizard. When I put it in my last motorhome my boil over and over charging ceased to be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom