How to identify which Dexter axles and brakes I have.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebar

The used trailer I bought included a few manuals, but nothing about the Dexter axles and brakes I have.  I crawled under and found some numbers on the back of the brakes. 

DEXTER
PR-FF SEC-FF
KPR-GGSEC-GG
X20XO  36-89

I should have more luck Monday when I can call them..  But does anyone know how to identify which ones I have?

Normally you just go to a trailer parts house and tell them you have dexters, How many lugs, and either disk or drum. I think they are pretty much all the same. At least all teh ones I have rebuilt, changed or worked on, that is how I got my parts.

Hi. My axles have Dexter ID stickers on them. If your rig isn't too old, you may be able to read them.

Featherlite wont tell me the model #. Says they are 5200 lb

"Model number for the axles wont really help you because dexter makes our axles special for Featherlite. We have a special bracket that goes on our axles."

Hi Mike here is pricing for you.

Axles are $454.17 ea.

Bearing Inner  2 per Axle $26.56 for 2

Bearing Outer 2 per Axle $24.24 for 2

Race Outer 2 per Axle $10.52 for 2

Race Inner 2 per Axle $9.68 for 2

Left Hand Brake Assembly 1 for each side you need 2 $146.44 for 2

Right hand Brake Assembly 1 for each side you need 2 $146.44 for 2

Mike as to changing the bearings and brakes you can call our customer service dept and they can tell you how to change them out.

Do these prices seem high?  Or about right?

When I rebuilt mine, I found the best prices at etrailer.com and the quality is great.  I ended up having to rebuild two of my four wheels with new bearings, races and seals and etrailer had the kits where you get all that at under $20 a wheel.  This gets you a new tang washer, two bearings, two races and an inner seal.

See this link: http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Bearings_and_Races-sf-Bearing_Kit-pc-5200_lbs_Axle.aspx

If you can take the old bearings/races out on one wheel, you can sometimes still see the part numbers on them to order the replacements (I think they use a standardized designation).  If not, you can still use them to take measurements to be sure you are ordering the right parts.  The style of the nut retaining system can also vary (cotter pin, tang washer or retaining washer) so disassembly will also tell you which style of retainer you need.

Once you drive out the old races, keep them and make a radial cut through the old race with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder.  Then you can use this to drive in the new races and the kerf of the cut lets the old race compress to a slightly smaller diameter so it can be easily removed after the new race is driven home.

etrailer also seemed to have good prices on the electric brake kits for trailers as well.  The only thing I found I could get for a more reasonable price locally is brake shoes.

It also appears by etrailers website that the brakes are fairly universal. All you need is the brake diameter and the axle weight rating and the number of mounting holes for the backing plate.

kyle2601 said:
It also appears by etrailers website that the brakes are fairly universal. All you need is the brake diameter and the axle weight rating and the number of mounting holes for the backing plate.

That was my impression too. For a 5200 lb axle, you could get a 6000 or 7000 lb brake kit with the correct diameter and mounting hole pattern.  The larger rating just means that the kit has a stronger magnet and a material on the shoe that will grip the drum better for more stopping power.

Dexter emailed me a parts list on the brakes but the file is to large to post here.  Looks like allot of part #'s match from 5.2K to 6K but the shoes are different.    I need to see what I can find on the bearings later when I pull them apart..

Thanks

For brake parts on any trailer try AnythingTruck.  Prices just a bit better than anywhere else I have found

Back
Top Bottom