The Sundowners - Full-timing DownUnder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian

Last year 60 Minutes Australia did a story about the many thousands of travelers seeing Australia by Caravan and RV. This is a great story and if you have the bandwidth, I think you will really like the video.

The Sundowners
July 10, 2005

Where have mum and dad gone? If you're in the generation 20-something to 30-something you might well be worrying about the disappearance of your parents. The good news is they're just fine. Your baby boomer oldies have run away from home to live the carefree gypsy life on the open road. Hundreds of thousands of "sundowners" ? retired Australians of no fixed abode ? a veritable legion of grey nomads. The bad news is they are out there spending your inheritance to the tune of some 10 billion dollars a year. Some have even traded in the family home to fund their pursuit of fun, sun and adventure across the wide reaches of the Australian continent.

Watch the video (needs decent bandwidth and only runs in Internet Explorer)
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2005_07_10/story_1437.asp
(Sorry that the video will only run in a recent version of Windows and only in Internet Explorer, it's an MSN site, you didn't expect them to be sensible and allow it to run on the opposition's browsers did you?)

Read the Transcript (text)
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2005_07_10/story_1440.asp

Ian:

When I read your post I thought "so what?" but decided to see what it was about. After getting IE cranked up again ( ;D) I watched every minute of the video-it was fascinating for this fulltimer here in the States who is planning to spend a few months caravanning down under.

You even have your own Quartzsite! 8) 8)

We keep getting asked about the full timing lifestyle by writers in the US but this sets a standard no one has come close to in reporting on it to the public.

Thanks,

Thanks Jeff, I had not seen it when broadcast, we hardly ever watch 60 Minutes, but yes, they gave a pretty good look at just what full-timing was all about DownUnder style.
You even have your own Quartzsite!
Did you like the lawn bowls rink out in the desert? must have been artificial grass but hey, what a great idea.

Ian said:
Thanks Jeff, I had not seen it when broadcast, we hardly ever watch 60 Minutes, but yes, they gave a pretty good look at just what full-timing was all about DownUnder style.Did you like the lawn bowls rink out in the desert? must have been artificial grass but hey, what a great idea.

The bowl rink beat the golf course at QZ.

The bowl rink beat the golf course at QZ.
That might be Jeff but how does the fishing at that Aussie beach compare to the one at QZ?  ROFL

From the transcripts:
TESS CLARKE: Sitting out in the boat right there, they may have a better chance today, but you never know.
CHARLES WOOLEY: It's all about the time of day and the tide, isn't it?
TESS CLARKE: Yes and there's tomorrow, too.
CHARLES WOOLEY: There's always tomorrow.
TESS CLARKE: Yes, there's always tomorrow. Come back again.
CHARLES WOOLEY: Isn't that wonderful?
TESS CLARKE: Yes, that's the way to be. Clear conscience and live for tomorrow and today.

Does it get any better than that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom