Back Splash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getting Old

Tired of looking at those tacky mirrors on the back splash of my 2005 Horizon and thinking about putting  in tile. Has any one done this and if so what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Like the looks of those one inch square tiles but concerned about wall movement and the like.

Don WIT 70041

Actually, I would expect the 1" square tiles to survive any movement better than larger tiles.  I think most (if not all) 1" square tiles come in 10"-12" squares with the small squares backed by a lose woven fabric.  If mirror tiles have stayed in place, done right, I would expect the small tiles would too.

I actually had done exactly what you describe.  I had all of the mirror black splash removed from behind my 8 foot span of galley. It came off surprisingly easy and left only th black tar like spots from the glue.

I selected a net backed  tile from Home Depot that has  a combination of  2 inch square tiles in a pattern with 3 inch tiles.  I had it done professionally and  they told me the secret to RV install is a flexible type of grout.  Not sure what it is called.

Thousands of miles later tile still up, no cracks. Looks beautiful and most updated!
Betty

We don't have mirrors or tile, just ugly wallpaper that sucks up grease and dirt. I'm thinking the tile might be a good way to go. And Betty's looks really, really nice. Need to find DIY instructions ... or go to Abq for some training ? :)

Wendy

Dick: Great looking job, did you need to use special adhesive and grout or just the garden variety thinset?

Don

Don
Like Betty said it's reccommended to use a flexable thinset, this is the one we used from the Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100122448/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tile thinset&storeId=10051  There is also another choice now that others have used with good luck and is not as messy. I have a couple friends that have used this stuff with no problems. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202828989/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tile install&storeId=10051 I've never used it but others swear by it.. Also use a fine sanded or un-sanded grout to avoid cracks.

We're lucky. Our backsplash is made from the same Corian as our counter.

Great information from all of you now comes the really, really hard part.  My DW must choose the type and color of the tile.  Should only take a month or so and who knows how many trips to the store. 

Don, WIT 70041 

Getting Old said:
now comes the really, really hard part.  My DW must choose the type and color of the tile.  Should only take a month or so and who knows how many trips to the store.

I started collecting tile samples nearly a year before I made my decision.  I  took lots of photos of new rigs with  their lovely tile as well.  So yes Now comes the hard  part!
Betty

Getting Old said:
Great information from all of you now comes the really, really hard part. My DW must choose the type and color of the tile.  Should only take a month or so and who knows how many trips to the store.   Don, WIT 70041

I started to laugh but that got me a head slap from my Bride...... :eek:  Ok, coast is clear, I can relate  ;)

GMascelli said:
I started to laugh but that got me a head slap from my Bride...... :eek:  Ok, coast is clear, I can relate  ;)

Gary, you deserved it...you've just got to learn to move out of reach faster!  ;)

Wow, glad I found this thread. DW has told me that the mirror backsplash "tile" has to go. She already has a sample of the glass tile she wants to have put up. I am planning to use the Simple Mat Tile adhesive materials that is on one of the links in a prior post. Wonder if they make a flexible grout or maybe use silicone - messy, but might work.

Interesting Web Site, www.bluejeansandflipflops.com scroll around for a did it himself tile job.
By the way got half of my job done and then she said I really like the mirrors.  You would think that after knowing each other for sixty years and married for fifty six I would have a clue.

Don G.

If you use small tiles or the little glass strips, it is easier to cut pieces of 1/4" tile backer board the size of your back splash. Cement the tiles to the backer board while laying on a flat surface. Then mount the tile and board with mastic.

George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom