Water Pump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGXterra

Hi.  This weekend while we were out camping the city water pressure went to junk on the last day and the water turned brown.  Supposedly there was work going on that was stirring up sediment so that wasn't a big deal and I've been stationed on ships...brown, funky water hasn't killed me yet. :)

My question is this...Is there a need to, or problem with, running the water pump along with city water?  The pressure is usually more with the city pressure...but not this time. 

Do you usually run your pump, or just use city pressure?

Thanks.
Ed

We don't consciously turn our water pump off when hooked up. It doesn't hurt anything either way but, when the pump comes on to supplement city water, it can disturb someone who's in bed.

OTOH we've never hooked up our boat to city water when berthed at a dock, and rely entirely on the water pumps. So we're used to the sound.

Yeah the noise is the only drawback to having it on all the time I guess.

Sometimes when in a campground with really low pressure, we let the city water fill the tank then use the pump for showers. The one with the most pressure does the work.

About the brown, funky water, ugg, can't help you there but been there. Thats why we bring some water from home and buy bottled water on the road for drinking.

Jerry

I would suggest a cheap water filter on the water hookup.  The disposable ones are fairly effective.  Also my water pump is the least noisy item in my trailer.  I attached a coil of extra hose from the pump to the trailer.  It really helps with the water pump noise.

As I sit here typing my 100 gallon fresh water tank is filling via my low-point drain so that only filtered water goes into the tank.  We're currently in one place for three months and we ALWAYS make sure that the fresh tank has water in it for a couple of reasons.

1. Showers are much nicer with a full pressure water supply.
2. The KOA we're at probably dates back to the 1800's, it's a really nice place but their infrastructure has issues from time to time, especially the water supply. When the city water dies we simply flip the switch.

Our rig is equiped with an accumulator for the water system so low pressure from the city water supply isn't a big deal for things like washing hands or putting water in a pot for cooking.  When we go to take a shower we simply turn on the pump.  Since the pump pressure switch is set higher than the incoming city water pressure as soon as the pressure drops when you turn on the faucet the pump kicks in.

By the way, every other time I fill the fresh tank I pour a quarter cup of bleach in the tank to keep from growing things in there that I don't want.

Back
Top Bottom