Tent Trailer Power Problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdxstimpy

Last year I purchased my first pop up tent trailer. The fridge and heater work fine off of shore power. The fridge works great off of propane. When I switch to DC power the fridge will not work and the heater fan blows at about half power but will not fire up. I replaced the battery with a new 12 vlt trojan battery and cleaned up the ground on the trailer. I need to know where to look next.

Thanks,

It is a 1986 Jayco JayKing 6 Deluxe. I don't know what the converter is in it (it's currently in storage) but it appears to be the original converter.

If it works fine while plugged in, then the converter is working, but the charger within the converter may not be. You are going to have to check some voltages with a volt meter to determine the issue. Sounds like you have a definite low voltage situation when running off battery alone. Most fridges require a minimum of somewhere around 10 volts for the circuit board to function at all, and your slow fan speed confirms that you're lacking voltage.

I think Water Dog is on to something.  I owned a 1994 Jayco PUP.  I am figuring that converter had been upgraded at some time since yours was built.  Maybe not.  But mine had contacts in it that needed constant cleaning to work properly when switching from AC to DC.  I had to run a dollar bill between the contacts to get them to make good contact.  When the converter was feeling stubborn, I had to use a Benjamin!

Or the charger side of the converter is toast.  You might check all the battery cable connections for proper conductivity.  As well as any in-line fuses that might be corroded.  As Water Dog said, time to get the multimeter out and check voltages.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom