Buying a CB radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ara Allen

I'm headed to Alaska this summer and would like to purchase a CB radio. I don't want to make this a permanent installation and only need it for this trip. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive reliable and easy to install CB? Thanks 

The big questionis what is your intended use?
If you want it to work, buy a real radio and a good external antenna like a K40. The one I would recommend hasn't been built in 30 years, but any of the middle to top end Cobras are great. Handi-Talkies have never performed anywhere near the mobile radios on 11 meters since the day they were introduced. Additionally the skip cycle is the strongest in many decades. You need a real radio to compete (or work) stations several thousand miles away.

If you don't want to mount it, lay it on the seat or do something else. But get something that will work.

I will echo the above.. If you want to talk to folks off your campsite,  Go with a top of the line Cobra... I use cheap and/or  hand held for "local" chat, but if you want to talk to someone at a distance, Go with a top of the line. 

IN studies done by an independent lab,, The only competitor for Cobra's top radio was Johnson's top radio.

However if price is a factor.. Radio Shack's Top radio was the equal of Cobra or Johnson #2 in performance,  #3 in price.. This was, however, 40 years ago. (roughly)

And it is the antenna that gives you the best bang for your buck. The best antenna is still the full quarter wave whip.  But alas, mounting that puppy on a motor home can be a problem  Plus it needs a good "Counterpoise" (The frame rails are good). But finding a place for it,, a problem.

If you do not know how to install and adjust an antenna, go to a Truck stop and find a CB shop that the truckers use and have them do the installation.  You can buy a good CB and a good antenna and if not installed correctly, it will be no better than a hand held one.

I had a Cobra 75 WX ST in my Jeep. Worked quite well and is small enough to hide anywhere since all of the controls are in the mic. It also has a quick disconnect if you want to use it in more then 1 vehicle. (But you would need a second box to do that)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/BlueZQ8/WJ/RB1/RB1NavRadio008.jpg

Not to put yours down because i have one also, but it's a complete dog good only for local car to car operations  The entire radio is mounted in the head and the coax is part of the coil cord, lossy as he11 and amazingly stiff. It's really nothing more than an HT folded into a mic profile. I now have all my ham gear with me but if I really needed Alaska size communication range on 11 meters, especially with the skip these days, it would be my last choice next to the HT. Sure wish I had my Cobra 132 back :(

SCVJeff said:
Not to put yours down because i have one also, but it's a complete dog good only for local car to car operations  The entire radio is mounted in the head and the coax is part of the coil cord, lossy as he11 and amazingly stiff. It's really nothing more than an HT folded into a mic profile. I now have all my ham gear with me but if I really needed Alaska size communication range on 11 meters, especially with the skip these days, it would be my last choice next to the HT. Sure wish I had my Cobra 132 back :(

Crap compared to ham for sure, but with a good antenna, properly set up it works quite well for what it is. Certainly better then most hand held units. If someone is looking for long distance then CB is probably not the best choice anyway. But for communication between vehicles (Which is what I used it for on trails) it worked very well. Especially for someone who doesn't want to mess up their interior or has limited space.

But to each their own.  8)

Since the OP hasn't returned with what he really intends to do with it we'll never know. Not being much of a CB'er these days I opted for this handheld device not knowing it's severe limitations. I would hate to see him expect the high performance of a good installation out of something like you and I have that is local car to car at best in a good skip season.

Back
Top Bottom