Galveston Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigLarry

We've been in Galveston for a week, heading home today.  Attached is a picture of the Lone Star Flight Museums TF-51 that I took yesterday from our B-25 when we were flying in formation.  We made a two flight flyover NW of Houston for a special event at a new golf course.  It's not much of a picture, taken with my old Iphone, but I still think its worth sharing.  If you are interested in GOOD pictures, go to their web page.

Attachments

• IMG_0258_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_0258_768x1024.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 80
Very Nice!!

Thanks for posting.  Did the B25 make the special event to commemorate the Doolittle Raid?

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/04/photos-70th-anniversary-reunion-of-the-doolittle-raid-on-tokyo/33634/

Yes, it was there.  It's the only B-25 that is painted in the Doolittle Raider paint scheme, and is the official aircraft of the Doolittle Raiders.  Dick Cole, who was Jimmy Doolittle's Copilot is a member of our Museum.  Below is a link to the info about the plane.

http://www.lsfm.org/b25doolittlemitchellbomber.html

Galveston Gal, our P-51 is painted up to commemorate the plane flown by Ray Lancaster, a Galvestonian who still lives in Galveston.  He comes by occasionally to visit about his experiences in Galveston Gal.  Another interesting piece of info is that the actual Galveston Gal, with Ray in the cockpit,  flew cover in WWII to the B-17 "Thunderbird", which is the paint scheme of our B-17.

Where did you stay in Galveston, and how were the beaches last week?  I grew up in Houston and Galveston, including many weeks in rental beach houses with my parents. Howevr, when my parents rented a beach house this spring, the first two weeks of April,  the beaches were covered with more seaweed, trash and tree trunks than any of ushave ever seen in the past 35+ years.  The city has been plagued with financial cutbacks, so they weren't cleaning up the beaches, but I am wondering if the seaweed and trees are still there?  Galveston has a sentimental spot in our hearts, but the condition of the beaches was a big disappointment.  I can't even imagine what someone unfamiliar with Galveston would think!

My husband and I want to go back with the kids, but we would like to know what RV parks are best, or if we should just go to the state parks (pocket parks).

thanks!

We stayed at Bayou Shores RV Resort, which is on the south shore of Offatts Bayou.  It's OK if you don't need to use the Restrooms, which were poorly maintained.  It's the only Bayside park in town and I didn't want to have our TT sandblasted with sand and salt spray, so we stayed there. It's also close to the Museum. 

The City just opened their Delanera RV park back up after it was destroyed by Hurricane Ike, which is just off the west end of the seawall.  It's a lot nicer than the old one with much more room for slideouts.  However its on the beach and as I said, we didn't want that.  Two other pretty nice parks are the Jamaica Beach RV park on the west end and the Sandpiper RV Resort which is located where the old Sandpiper Motel was near where the road to the Ferry leaves the seawall.  The Jamaica Beach Park is going through a large expansion which looks like it should be completed in another month or so.

All the public beaches looked good when we got there, however some high winds blew in quite a bit of seaweed.  The crews were working to clean them up when we left.  The seaweed was very bad on the less accessable beaches which are normally maintained only by the owners of the beach houses that line the shore looked pretty rough.  If you rent a beach house ask the condition of their beach. 

I think Galveston is coming back pretty strong, but there is still construction everywhere.  They are within a month or so of opening the new Pleasure Pier which is located on the pier that formally held the Flagship Hotel.

We also drove over to the Bolivar Peninsula.  That area looks better than it has since we started going there in 1977.  The storm blew everything away.  Almost nothing was left following the storm.  Everything over there is new and is really looking good.  I have a friend who has built two new beach houses and with the improvement in construction, they are confident that they can withstand a storm as bad as Ike with much less damage.  The beaches over at Crystal Beach looked good.

Back
Top Bottom