Double towing 30' 5th wheel side load toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonys

I am considering buying one of the 30' fifth wheel side load toy haulers made by either Forest River of Keystone. I would like some advice from anyone who currently has one of these units, and if they have towed double with it. I have a 25.5 Jayco Eagle, and behind that I tow my 18' fish and ski boat. I tow this combo with my 99' Dodge Diesel. I have had absolutely no problems with this rig. However, I am curious if the added weight in the cargo area of the new 5er would be a problem, if say, I had a 4wheeler in the garage area.

I don't know anything about the frame strength of either the Forest River, or Keystone with respect to building a receiver hitch for the boat on the back of the 5th wheel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, your not going to like my post... However, if the manufacture does not endorse this dual towing, it should not be done.  I'm not sure any TT or 5th Wheel manufacture would endorse this towing posture, actually, only certain States allow it by law.  I'm not a big fan of dual towing, just does not seem safe or practical.  Just ones opinion that's for sure, have seen this done, just keep wondering how they would reverse or deal with immediate hazard situations that were out of their control.  Not looking to be combative, just another view.

you might want to check the DMV in your area or state you plan on towing in to find out the maximum LENGTH you can haul. you have what about 20 feet of truck then say 25 maybe 28 feet of fifth-wheel, and then maybe 24 feet of boat trailer. your bumper to bumper length would be around 72 feet???
Just asking if it is under the legal tow limit. I see no problem with towing double as long as you are under the max allowable weight of the tow rig and allowable length. mostly for MY safety I don't want to be run over because you can't get the mass stopped and I don't want to be in a head on with an angry driver trying to pass on a 2 lane highway.

safety is a way of life.

1275gtsport, and jje1960;

Thank you for your opinion, but as I said in my post I am looking for anyone who might have experience with the two side load, toy haulers I mentioned with respect to towing double. I appreciate the fact that if not done appropriately towing doubles can be dangerous. However, one must remember what he has behind his tow vehicle, and drive accordingly. If this is done, it is a safe as any other rig.

tonys said:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You asked dude.

and just because I can not let it go :)

the people at ready brake call it Triple tow (cause there are 3 things connected together) and for many states the max length is 65 or 70 feet.
http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

I am only offering you the advise that you maybe on the road to a ticket. I was not saying it is unsafe to tow doubles/triples its the STOPPING distance in getting all that stuff stopped. I assume you do drive in a reasonable manner, especially if you have not been stopped and checked thus far.
But laws is laws. and my best guess with the New trailer combo you will be beyond the legal limit. and we would not want to ruin a trip with a nice big fine and a boat on the side of the highway.

as for the weight of the a 4 wheeler IT is not the problem adding the tongue weight of the boat trailer would be an added weight that the manufacture did not calculate when setting the axles on the trailer.

Thank you for letting me say my bit do with it what you want.
Have a nice day and I hope you have safe travels.

Thanks for the redibrake link. I have these state regs printed from my past research. I see that Montana allows 70' total when towing "triples". It will be close for certain, but I have not made up my mind yet. I have been towing doubles for years that are a combined length of 67' and have had no problems. I would never do this with anything but a 5th wheel, certainly not a bumper pull trailer.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Wyoming allows 85 feet and I tow doubles quite often. Sometimes my 16' boat is behind my 30' 5er and sometimes my horse trailer with 3 horses that gives me a gross combined weight upwards of 27,000 lbs. This is where the big issue comes into play, a class C license is only good for 26,001 lbs. As far as safety goes, when towing my horse trailer, I always make sure that all of my brakes are working, and I keep speeds to a reasonable level and allow extra room for stopping.

Back
Top Bottom