EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: North To Alaska  (Read 57224 times)

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
North To Alaska
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
Well....it's getting close.  Many of you might recall last year at this time we were heading out for our long awaited trip to Alaska only to have an accident in the canyon which postponed our trip. 

So, last Tuesday we took the coach back down the canyon and it is now at the Cat Service facility having a check-up and oil change.  It will STAY in Bakersfield.  ;) We plan to spend a few days getting groceries, packing the coach and picking up stuff we can't get here in Kernville, CA.  On Mother's day we head to a Christian Camp east of Fresno to help clean and ready the camp for it's onslaught of children campers for the summer.  Then we are off north to Portland and Seattle crossing into British Columbia on June 1st.

I know there are a couple of other Forumites going to Alaska this year, so hopefully we can have a few mini-rallies.

We are SO excited!!!

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Just Lou

• ---
Re: North To Alaska
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
Marsha, I am soooo jealous.

I know I said earlier that I wanted to return to Alaska this year, but it didn't work out that way. 

I don't know your planned route or travel agenda, but have you thought about the possibility that you may be leaving a tad early?  I know we were too early for the"Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier in '06, and it was mid June.  Others reported weather delays in/around Banff in early June. 

Have a great and safe adventure.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »
It's hard to predict the weather each year, but we left Great Falls, MT on May 24, 2000 and enjoyed good weather throughout the trip.  We returned to Couer d'Alene, Idaho in late August.  We did the Banff Jasper leg of the trip on the way home after coming down the Cassair Highway.

Have a great trip, Marsha and Tim, and keep us posted on your adventures along the way.  Looking forward to vicariously sharing the trip through your posts.

Margi and Tom

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
Have a great trip. I'm also jealous. Alaska is on our bucket list but who knows if we'll ever make it there.

Wendy

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
Gee, Kernville is on my list of places to visit again, not escape from.  I haven't been there since the mid '60's.  I loved it and Lake Isabella.  My DW and I and 2 kids drove from China Lake to Lake Isabella and back in an old '41 retired Navy Chevy pickup - no AC, of course.  Just a crank-out windshield and a granny gear that wouldn't quit.  We made it, though.

I hope you have a really really nice Alaska trip (that's on my list, too).
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Marsha and Tim,

You've been anticipating this trip for so long!  I hope it turns out to be even better than you've hoped.  Don't forget to share a few photos and tidbits!  And, most important, have a safe and trouble-free trip!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
We're jealous too!!!  You'll really enjoy it. 

It's a beautiful trip.  We did it two years ago and are ready to go again.   We are considering going to SE Alaska and explore from the Ferries this fall, but we'll have to see if the stars will align so we can go.

Have Fun!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.   We're trying to do this before we get too old and fuel reaches $20.00 a gallon.   ;D

Lou, we plan on hanging around in B.C for most of the month of June; not hitting Alaska until July 1st or thereabout.  We won't get home until close to October 1st.   I just hope there are some bears left to see when we get there.  On our trip to Newfoundland everyone raved about all the moose they saw......Not us.....we saw very few.

Molaker...come on up to Kernville; it hasn't changed much since the 60s.... ;)

Today I put the final touches on a vinyl covering for the tow car window and made little mirror "mittens".  You'd think we owned a very valuable car not a Hyundai. 

Marsha~

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
Have a wonderful trip.  Which  way are you circling?
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

NCsleeves

• ---
    • Tennis anyone?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Sounds exciting, Marsha!  We last drove up (tent camping) 20 years ago this year.  We managed to celebrate July 1st in Whitehorse and July 4th in Fairbanks (just happenstance, no planning).  I can recommend the free pancake breakfast in Whitehorse.  :-)  (Assuming it's still on).  Safe travels.  ..   Steve
2000 National RV Tradewinds
2008 Honda CRV
FMCA 204724D
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Try to get to a city in Alaska for the 4th of July.  We've been up there three times on the 4th over the last 12 years in 3 different cities and they really have a big celebration.  With the long days, some places celebrate starting the evening of the 3rd and have their fireworks at midnight.  Canada celebrates Canada Day on July 1st, which is their big day. 

Many of the cities up north have a big celebration for Summer Solstice, which is June 20th.  In Dawson, which is not far below the Arctic Circle, they had a golf tournament that played all night.

After so much darkness in the winter, they're really ready to let some steam off in the summer.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2016 Cougar 28RLS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
We will be behind you Marsha, we are crossing into Canada around July 1st. This is our first trip too.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
Would like to have coffee when you pass by our door. ;D
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
Our 50Th wedding anniversary is this year. DW wants to go back to Alaska. Grandson's high school graduation is 6/2/12. Then I will be working until the 20th of June. (Need to make some gas money). Plans are to head north at that time. Maybe we will cross paths in some of our travels. Hope that you have a great trip!

Frank
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 02:08:21 AM »
We're also planning to go to Alaska this summer.  (It will be our third RV trip there.)  We'll be leaving the Portland, OR area around June 1st.  No detailed plans yet, but we will probably have a leisurely trip through British Columbia.  A mini-rally would be good.

Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
For Bears be sure to go to Hyder!

Hopefully we'll make our second trip next year.

Have a great time.

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
Ken....Hyder is on our list.

Betty...I can't remember which way we are "looping".  I'll get back to you.  All the maps are pack in the truck ready to go down to Bakersfield to load in the coach.

Poor Tim he is helping our son, who bought a new to him, 30 year old house rework the sprinkler system.  Our son and his wife also leave for the summer and they wanted to turn their house water off; but leave the landscaping water on.  The prior owner had everything hooked together.  All the piping is galvanized...<aaarrrggg>

Marsha~

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
We are in Grand Junction, CO until June 3rd. We then head to Alaska. The trip up is planned. Some of Alaska is planned. The trip back is still up in the air.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
Boy have a great trip.  If you can post some pics.  That is one trip we wish we could take the time to do again.  BC and Alaska were so great.  Have safe travels!!!!!!!!!!!!
Len & Jo
The Green Tardis
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
Van Development:   https://youtu.be/5Xqk_G6k95M
12 Years of Travels:  https://youtu.be/UMIf17CzdZo

Frank Hurst

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
We came back through Hyder around the 1st of Aug. and got some great pictures of bears fishing in the creek. Drove past the creek to Salmon Glacier. You can drive beside the glacier for about 2 miles. A must see.
Frank & Hilda Hurst
2003 Phaeton
2004 Malibu
Semi Retired Relief Veterinarian

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
Hyder (+Stewart, BC) is a neat place and the bear viewing is fantastic if the salmon are running in the river.  There are typically 3-4 runs, one is early July, one in August and another in mid September. Only the salmon know the timing for sure.

Salmon Glacier is definitely a must see as well, and the mouth of the river is loaded with bald eagles and ospreys. The "hanging" glacier (Bear Glacier) along the highway heading into Hyder from the Casiar Hwy is another great view, and Mezadian Lake at the Stewart Hwy-Casiar junction is another choice spot for  camping (dry).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
One interesting note.  There was only a one way border crossing check between Stewart and Hyder.  We were not checked when going to Hyder from Stewart, but were checked when crossing back to Stewart.  I guess because there is no roads out of Hyder except through Stewart, they aren't worried about checking those entering Hyter.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2016 Cougar 28RLS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:16 AM »
You can't enter the rest of the USA from Hyder without taking a boat or a plane, and either of those will go through Customs & Immigration upon arrival at the entry port. For practical purposes, Hyder is a Canadian town with a US post office.  ;)
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

akwolfes

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 12:50:19 AM »
Most people don't know that its illegal in AK to have more that 5 cars stacked up behind you. Please remember to pull over and let cars around you so you can take you're time and enjoy the Alaskan views. Have a great trip.

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
Most of our trip we'd go for an hour and not see five cars!!!!
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2016 Cougar 28RLS

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
Most people don't know that its illegal in AK to have more that 5 cars stacked up behind you. Please remember to pull over and let cars around you so you can take you're time and enjoy the Alaskan views. Have a great trip.

That is true in many states.  Montana is one but no issue on interstates with 4 or more lanes.  However on 2 lane mountain roads, be aware.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 12:02:36 AM »
Same with California on mountain roads.

Marsha~

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »
Most of these laws about pulling over also state that you must pull over "when it is safe". I driven many miles where there was nowhere to pull over where it was safe. I won't pull over on to dirt or grass as I have no way of knowing if it can support the weight of the motorhome. Even if there is an area to pull over, if it is short then it is often impossible to tell if we can fit until we are very close. Unless you slow way down for every possible turnout site, you are going to fast to make the pull off area. Those roads that have marked turnouts are easy - I pull over even if there are only a couple of cars behind me.

The other way to let people pass easily is to slow down, put on your right turn signal and pull to the far right when there is an area where you can see that it is safe for cars to pass. I do the same with truckers if I can reach them on the CB.

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Derby6

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »

LMAO---I know where your coming from.... ;)
2015 Ford Explorer (Wifes Ride)
2011 Ford F350 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab/Long Bed/SRW
2011 Honda Civic-- (Beater with a heater)
2007 28' Desert FOX Toy Hauler             
TOYS:
01 Yamaha Kodiak 400
09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
12 Yamaha Grizzly 450
13 Yamaha Rhino 700 (Wifes Ride)
13 & 14  144" & 155" SKI DOO

brens

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
I know the 2 of you will have a blast!  :) Alaska is our first trip to take when we retire. My husband has 12 years to go  :( I have 3 years :)then we will be heading to Alaska! Have fun and please lots of pictures for us that still have to put in the 8-5  :(
Curt & Brenda
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 29 R
2012 Jeep Wrangler

Hosted by Over The Network