North To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are now on our way to Homer or Seward....don't know which yet and are staying at a great campground between Glennallan and Palmer.  It's called Glacier view and is just beautiful; especially in the sunshine....wahoo.  We saw dall sheep on the hillside, but it took a strong pair of binoculars.

Jeff, we didn't find the "upstairs" seafood shop; but we did find Peter Pan Seafood and stocked up.  Halibut is now $17.99/lb.

I agree, Haines and Valdez are on the top of our list so far.

Marsha~

After a white knuckle drive from Anchorage, we are now in Seward camped at Resurrection Bay.  The electric/water sites were all taken so we are camped facing the bay in the dry section for $15.00/night. This place is nearly full of  campers of all sizes and shapes; and when we got here water was everywhere because it had rained hard.

On the way here the drive on Glenn Highway from Glacier View RV park, about 60 miles from Anchorage, was just beautiful and we had sun, so it was especially nice.  Several very large glaciers were visible from the road.  The closer we got to Palmer the drive went through rolling hills and right along the river.  In Palmer we filled up at the Fred Meyers for $4.11/gallon diesel.

A storm was either just blowing in or out, not sure which; but the winds were extremely strong along the peninsula coming in.  It was a tiring drive being buffeted and pushed around each turn; plus you must pull over if more than 5 cars are behind you.  I took over driving at one point to relieve Tim and drove the last leg into Seward.  No wildlife sightings and there were no boats coming in and out of Anchorage. 

We have planned 5-6 days here to visit the "Exit" Glacier, do some fishing and some sightseeing.  The Exit Glacier is one you can walk right up to; but not get close enough to touch.  We have scheduled a 7.5 hour Kenai Fijords tour for today.  Tim is going out on a 11 hour Halibut and other fish catching attempt 8) trip on Monday while I am doing a 1/2 day in the bay salmon fishing trip.

The local Safeway store is very pricey and is lacking quality fresh foods such as fruits and vegetables.  One large cantalope was close to $12.00.

The campground is very entertaining, especially when the rain stopped and we had less cloudy skies.  There is a paved walking trail right along in front of the camping area.  People are rollerblading, walking dogs, playing ball all sorts of activities.  Last night at 10ish several groups of folks were still outside with campfires and activities going on. 

This morning as we get ready for our fijord tour the bay was full of fishing boats going out; more than we've seen since being here.  I'm sure it is because it's a Saturday.  And, there is a sea otter playing in the bay.  We had heard a couple of days ago a whale was in the bay checking every thing out, but we missed seeing it.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
The Exit Glacier is one you can walk right up to; but not get close enough to touch. 

The last time we were there you could hike up beside the glacier to the ice field and go on to the ice field.  It was a great hike.  I second Gary's comment about the Alaska Sea Life exhibit.  We took a "behind the scenes" tour that was great.

Jeannine

Seward is a great place.  We spent the 4th of July there in 2010.  On the west side of town is Marathon Mountain which is about 3000ft.  They have a run from the start at the south end of Main Street to the top of that mountain and back again.  The winner made it in a little over two hours if I remember correctly.  The competitors slide most of their way down.  The oldest finisher was nearly 80 years young!!!  I've got a picture of him on the home stretch and he looked like he was not enjoying himself all that much at that moment. 

Gary, we did visit the Sea Life Exhibit; it was very nice.  They had just lost a 2 week old Buluga baby that was separated from the mom during the recent storm Tim and I drove through coming down here.

We have had so much fun just sitting out in front of the coach watching all the goings on...Dall porpoises swimming and diving all over the place.  Then we watched at least 4 large bald eagles swoop down and steal left over scraps of fish the sea gulls were snacking on.  Such a commotion.

Big Larry, there is no way I could do that race.  I think I've seen signs for it posted at the Visitor Center.  Not sure if it just happened or is coming up.

BTW, Tim and I just signed up for a "fly-in grizzly bear photography day trip" out of Homer, AK.  After I plunked down my reservation fee, they sent me an agreement to sign.  The list of stuff to bring along includes 2 day supply of medicines in case we get stranded in Katmui N. Park.  Now that would be an adventure!!!

Here are some photos from the last several days:

Attachments

• whaleTail.JPG
    whaleTail.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 21
  • whaletail2.JPG
    whaletail2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Glacier.JPG
    Glacier.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
  • glacier2.JPG
    glacier2.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 16
  • GlacierWithBoat.JPG
    GlacierWithBoat.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 18
  • glacier3.JPG
    glacier3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
  • MountainGoat.JPG
    MountainGoat.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 25
  • otterOnIceberg.JPG
    otterOnIceberg.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 22
  • sealions1.JPG
    sealions1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 21
    Marsha, great pictures and she is so jealous that you saw Mountain Goats.  We were told that they were around when we were in Jasper National Park, but they kept hiding on us, much the same as the moose did on your trip east.

Ed

A couple of Eagle shots.

Tom S thanks for reminding me to do "burst" shots when shooting birds!

Marsha~

Attachments

• Eagle1.JPG
    Eagle1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Eagle3.JPG
    Eagle3.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 26
Ed, we've seen so many mountain goats on this trip; not only here, but at least 3 other places.  I think we are somehow hitting it just right.  However, the moose is still very elusive; only seen 3 females.  However we've seen tons of black bear and at least 3 large brown porcupines.

Jeannie, forgot to get back to you.  That hike up to the ice fields is still there.  We thought about it, but then had other plans for the day.

Now I have to get ready for my salmon fishing trip tomorrow.  Usually Tim and I go together on these things; but I'm soloing this one while he goes halibut fishing.  I have no idea how to fish for salmon.  However, today I lost my footing while walking Charlie and fell a$$ over teacup.  Now Tim is worried I'm going to fall out of the fishing boat and he won't be there to save me.  :p

Marsha~

Marsha, we had just the opposite with sighting moose everywhere.  Starting with mother and calf in the Grand Tetons, through Banff & Jasper, then too many to count all through Northern Ontario, and finally we saw a few in Northern New Brunswick.  It did take a while to get to see Bighorn Sheep, but when we did in Banff, we saw them everywhere.  Yet, the most memorable was the Bison stampede on the road in Yellowstone.

Ed

Enjoying your log.  It sure brings back the memories.  We saw quite a few moose on our trip and probably have pictures of a dozen or more different sightings.

Our daughter flew in to stay about 10 days while we were there.  We picked her up at the Airport in Ancorage and were on our way back to Talkeetna where we were staying.  She was looking forward to seeing a moose.  We were about 20 miles north of town and there was the first moose.  Just been hit by a car and dead in the middle of the road!!!!! Car pretty well destroyed.  Not the way she wanted to see her first moose. :(

Like Marty (SargeW) we are now in Homer, AK.  The drive from Seward was very beautiful, especially with the sun shinning.  We stopped and took all sorts of pictures along the way.  As we drove through Copper Landing and the other beach towns along Cook's Inlet, we marked campsites to come back to.  I think we'll set up a float trip down the upper Kenai River and spend some time up near Copper Landing.  We may even do some fly fishing.

The fishing trip Tim and I did on Monday in Seward was great.  It was sunny and the waters were somewhat calm.  He was on a full day of Halibut and other fish; I was on a 1/2 day Salmon trip.  I get sick in a small boat on big swells so was trying to stay more in the inlet.  Both of us were out on small fishing boats with 6 fisherman on each.  Kinda crowded and very different from my drift boat fishing when we fly fish.  Tim caught 3 halibut but was only allowed to keep 2.  Then he caught 2 big silver salmons.  I caught 1 big silver and 3 black bass along with some ugly looking fish that was orange and black, a rock fish of some sort.  We had them fileted, flash frozen and packed in individual packets.  The total weight after processing was 29lbs.  It fit in the lower part of my 4 door fridge/freezer.  We have some room left, but not much.  If we catch much more we'll have to begin sending it home, which is very expensive.  ::)

Today we need to do laundry (wish I had a washer/dryer in the coach) get things cleaned up and back to being organized.  Even Charlie needs a bath and a haircut.

BTW, those following us, Oceanview RV park is not all that great, but it was cheaper than those full hookup campgrounds on the spit.  It's $47.00 plus tax.  The sites are terraced and it's hard to get level, however I do have a full view of the bay out of all the windows on one side of the coach.

Marsha~

Attachments

• today'sCatch.jpg
    today'sCatch.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 46
I wistfully remember the bags of rockfish Tom used to bring back from fishing the Farrallon Islands out of Bodega Bay, CA.  I hope your black and orange rockfish is as delicious.  We pulled our dinette table and stored it in a bay.  Bought a 5 cu freezer in Soldatna to hold our halibut and razor clam catch in 2000.  It was cheaper than shipping them back home.

You're doing a terrific job reporting on your trip and I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Margi

We were @ Homer in 2004. I took a Halibut charter w/Alaska Hunting & Fishing Ventures. The boat was the LINSEY C. I think it was around 38' long. While we were going out to the "fishing spots" the captain put a pot of coffee on the stove to brew. Before we started fishing we all had a hot, fresh cup of coffee. The ride out and back as well as the fishing was smooth. With only 3 fishermen we limited out @ 2 each and the captain also took 2 halibut. When we returned to the doc, the captain filleted all of the fish and divided them among the three of us. My wife said that it was the first time that I got my money's worth when fishing. Halibut was $17 a pound. One side of the freezer was full of Halibut.
Hope you continue to enjoy Alaska and all of the natural wonders there.
Indiana Journey

I'm so glad I discovered I like halibut BEFORE our first Alaska trip!  :)  There used to be a restaurant at the end of the Homer Spit that served a wonderful halibut dish.  Is it still there?  The first trip it was just a tiny place but ten years later had expanded and was unrecognizable.

ArdraF

Indiana Journey....Halibut is going for $28.95 today here on the Kenai Peninsula!  Don't know what it's going for in the lower 48.

Ardra, we haven't been down to the spit yet; that's tomorrow's plan.  Today's plan was cleaning, laundry and more cleaning.... ;)

Marsha~

You can fish the river at Ninilchik, either down near the beach or further inland east of the Sterling Highway. As I recall, there is a state park dry-camping area along the highway and another overlooking the beach area.  We stayed up on the highway (it was free then - not sure now).  I don't recall catching a whole lot there, but it was a lovely little stream and very relaxing. I was using spinning gear, but fly fishing would work well too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom