North To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marsha,
Thanks for letting us "ride along" on your trip. It was terrific!
On our way home in 2004 my wife said that she probably had seen enough of Alaska since she had made the trip 4 times. If I wanted to take another trip with "the boys" to hunt or fish that was allright, but she was not going again. About 3 months later, while watching a TV show on Alaska she looked over at me and said she would like to make just one more trip to Alaska. We are trying to get everything prepared for a trip in the next two years.
Thanks,
Indiana Journey

My conclusion was a lot like Marsha's. I am really glad that I went once and experienced it first hand, but we won't be rushing back. Given some time, I would take an Alaskan cruise to see it from a different perspective. 

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to sound that bad  :-\

All the parts of Alaska you can get to by vehicle are relatively small and close together.  We were zipping all around while there.  Alaska is breathtaking and I would do Alaska again in a heartbeat.  It's the drive to get there that is my issue.  If we flew, rented a motor home, we could have spent much more time in places we enjoyed. 

We met so many people in rental motor homes and we would hear that they saw moose or bear right in their campgrounds.  I think by having a big rig we were limited in places we could stay and missed some of that.  You can get into some fabulous places with a smaller rig.

Ed:  I think you are right.
We do not begrudge having gone, but after a while one mountain starts looking like all the others, and all campgrounds blend into similarities

I agree and I also think when you've done as much traveling as we and you have in the last 10 years (90,000 miles) we are beginning to want to stay put in places for much longer than we did before.  That's a new feeling for us.  It was 12,000 or so miles for the Labrador/Newfoundland/Maritimes trip, and this one will be close to 10,000 miles.  When you are trying to work that in for the summer months, you are really moving every couple of days or so.  Our next long trip will be the east coast, and then Tim and I are thinking about just spending the summers in Oregon or Montana/Idaho. 

Such hard decisions for the RVer.  ;D ;D

BTW, after getting the coach and car completely clean we did really well regarding any damage.

Marsha~

Kevin, we did not miss the Data Storm one bit.  In fact it was a bit freeing not to have to worry whether our campsite was under trees and didn't have a clear view of the "southern sky".... ;)  Almost every campground, even the ones out in the boonies, had WiFi of some sort.

Here in the States, our air cards are much faster than the Data Storm and they worked everywhere in Alaska.  The thing I really like is we can use the air cards while driving down the road, can't do that with the Data Storm.

Marsha~

Marsha, thanks for the trip. DW & I took the trip in 2001 and I was able to go again with you. We traveled in a 37' and the only thing that we did different was that we did stay in a lot of providential parks in Cannada. The providential parks were very clean and were in beautiful settings. We did not have any problems with parking and in getting in and out with the MH. Most of the parks had flush toilets and water for washing hands. We would stay in a full service park and fill up with water ever 3-4 days and would run our generator about a hour before we got to the providential park in order to charge our batteries. I don't know if I will ever be able to go again, but I would love to go again.

Thanks for the memories!

Hi glad that you guys made it back home to the USA I hadn't been on this forum in a long time until a few weeks ago I found North to Alaska right off and have read about most of your trip really enjoyed going on your trip. So much of your travels and commits brought back memories of our 2005 trip to Alaska.
Thanks for posting all the info and pictures
Billy Bob 

We all enjoyed your trip Marsha.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

ArdraF

Marsha,

On your way south will you be stopping at Sutherlin to see the Framily.  We will be here until next Wed., the 12th.  It would be great to see you and Tim.  Thanks for your trip postings it brought back great memories.

Sheesh, we were at the Lake Pleasant park, we were the ones in site 7 with the two talkative toy poodles.  I wish I had known you were there. We wanted to see Seattle but didn't take long to tire of narrow one way streets, pot holes and traffic. Next time we will park and take a tour. Left yesterday and spent the night at Pioneer Trails near Anacortes.

Marsha/CA said:
If you asked me today if we would make the trip again, I would hesitate with my answer.

SargeW said:
My conclusion was a lot like Marsha's. I am really glad that I went once and experienced it first hand, but we won't be rushing back. Given some time, I would take an Alaskan cruise to see it from a different perspective.

Marsha/CA said:
All the parts of Alaska you can get to by vehicle are relatively small and close together.  We were zipping all around while there.  Alaska is breathtaking and I would do Alaska again in a heartbeat.  It's the drive to get there that is my issue.

It wasn't very many years ago the campgrounds were all full in the summer in places like Homer. I have been amazed on how there has been less and less RV's and alway's just figured it was the economy and high fuel prices.  Your comments make me think that maybe there is more to it than that. :-\
Sure still seems to be plenty of terrorist---I mean tourist traffic though.....lol ;D

Thanks Marsha, I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Alaska,at times it was almost like being there. We took an Alaskan cruise in 95 I think it was, and enjoyed it . We have been thinking about doing it in our RV but think the idea of renting one there sounds very appealing. Sure would save a lot of driving and give a lot more time there. ....Alan

RoyM...sorry we missed you.  It would have been fun to say "Hi".

Lorna...we are now at Pacific Shores in Newport and will be in Winchester Bay for a week, so are heading down the Oregon Coast.  Thought we'd hit nice weather, but we are fogged in at the moment.  However, the beach here is fabulous.  Sorry to miss all of you!!!

Marsha~

We will be in Yachets, Or starting next week for a week.  So far the weather in Bend/Sisters Or has been great.  Maybe we will bump into you again!

Be careful Sarge, it can snow in Bend/La Pine at a moments notice - 90 one day, 20 the next. They invented layering in central Oregon.

Wendy

On Sunday we pulled into Winchester Bay with beautiful sunny skies and have a waterfront site with a big grassy area.....Yippee!!!  We had light rain on Sunday night and it was very windy on Monday (yesterday).  Last night was cold down into the 40s; beautiful and high 60s today...going for Clam Chowder. 

A sea lion has been playing/feeding in the bay with the sea gulls trying to take his breakfast of fish away from him.

Marsha~

A sea lion has been playing/feeding in the bay with the sea gulls trying to take his breakfast of fish away from him.

Aye, that's always fun to watch Marsha. When we get sea lions migrating up from SF Bay (usually in the winter months), we see them 'fishing' behind the house. They dive deep for the big stripers, then surface with one in their mouth. But, because they can't pull them apart with 'fingers', they usually slap the fish on the surface of the water until it breaks open. They eat the middle (stomach) and leave the rest. The birds are going nuts through this whole thing.

Marsha, you've made it possible for me to do extensive planning for our 3-month trip to Alaska (from the Denver area) next summer...along with all the info from Sarge's travel posts. And I do love the planning! I love to read every book I can find, including novels, about the places I'm going to. It's great having names of good (and bad) restaurants and cafes along the way. Makes everything more fun.  I've already read the non-fiction story, "Tisha" a very good read...also short...about a teacher who volunteered to go to the Alaskan wilderness and teach school in the 1920s or so. Very good. And really interesting history. My DH and I are both reading Michener's "Alaska". Also wonderful reading. Another short paperback is "Two Old Women" based on native lore...I think Athabascan. Also very good reading. We just found a rousing tale of the Gold Rush days at a used book store..."The Klondike Fever" by Pierre Berton. Non-fiction. Reads like a novel. 

I've already made all of our ferry reservations. What we're going to do, having spoken with friends who took their RV to Alaska in 2010, and after reading all of your wonderful posts, is this: We'll drive all the way up, thru the Yukon etc., and go to Valdez along the way out towards Anchorage, Hope, Talkeetna, Kenai, etc. Definitely want to go across the Denali Hwy from Paxson to Cantwell. We're undecided about whether to go to Denali and take the painfully long bus ride in/out. Adds an awful lot of distance and time...and we really want extra days in Anchorage and down on the Kenai peninsula, especially at Homer.

After getting to and being in the southwest of Alaska, we figure we might be getting a bit tired of so much driving. So, we're going to drive to Whittier, and take the long ferry trip (almost 2 days) across to Juneau. Then we'll ferry-hop to Haines and Skagway and spend some days in each place, as well as fly from Juneau to Gustavus for a couple of days (sans RV) at the Gustavus Inn for our 44th wedding anniversary.  After we get back to Juneau, we'll ferry to Sitka for 3 nights. Then ferry to Wrangell for a couple of days. Then ferry to Ketchikan for a couple of days. Then ferry from Ketchikan to Prince Rupert BC. Don't need much time there, so the next day we'll ferry again to Port Hardy at the northern end of Vancouver Island, and spend a week driving south on the island to Victoria, where we'll ferry for the last time to Port Angeles WA.

We're getting incredibly excited. As I say, I just adore doing the planning part of trips, and putting together my "notebook" on each place we're planning to go through, and to stay.  We're really trying to plan for at least 3-5 days of down-time in 1 place every 5-7 days or so of travel, so that we don't miss things or get too exhausted just from driving. And once we start the ferry trips, each time we arrive at a destination, we'll have the Rollin Home to use for exploring...each town for at least 2 nights and usually 3 nights.

Anybody have any thoughts?  Suggestions? I'm going to post this as a "new thread" also, in this same section of trip reports, journals and logs...throughout our trip starting next May 28, I'll do daily posts about how things are going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom