Spending the Winter in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddieelk

If events in November are not to my liking, I'm considering spending the winter south of the border instead of South Texas as I have done for the past 7 years. I understand the security problems, etc. I would like to hear from thoseof you thst go south of the border for the winter, including some ideas of location, costs, health coverage, safety, etc. Thanks for your replies.  Eddie Elk.

Eddie...

I wasn't going to say anything until I saw the word "safety" in your posting. I figure (most) folks are, to a certain degree, somewhat aware of what's going on in Mexico and can make their own decisions. I've been a San Diego police officer for more than 30 years. I fly a police helicopter along the border every night and I receive regular intelligence briefings from the DEA, other law enforcement agencies and my own department on what's going on throughout Mexico. I'm not paranoid about what's going on south of the border, but I am aware.

My wife (also in law enforcement - a Deputy District Attorney) and I used to fly our plane deep into Baja to visit various resorts. When we sold the plane and bought a motorhome, we used to take it down there. We traveled with our kids and other RVers and had a great time. Corruption and drug-related hazards have always plagued Mexico and, like now, we were aware of the risks, but I can't emphasize this enough... The risks then (15 years ago) were NOTHING compared to what they are today. You don't have to go looking for trouble in Mexico to find it. You're only hearing what the news is telling you.

I fully realize that a lot of RVers have been going to Baja and other Mexican zones for years, and they haven't had any problems (I never had any problems). They're probably reading this, thinking, "Ahh... I've never had any problems down there." or "I know where to go to stay out of trouble." That's fine. I certainly understand why they'd feel that way and why they go there. Many services and prescriptions are cheaper, it's a laid-back, easy going environment and it's just plain fun. But don't think for a second that the risks associated with RVing in Mexico today are the same, or only slightly more than they were years ago. They are much greater today, as our intelligence briefings constantly remind us. There are reasons why the State Department has put much of Mexico on their travel-warning list, and there are reasons why the cruise-ship industry has, to a large degree, stopped going to many ports in Mexico.

If someone insists on RVing to Mexico, there are a few things they could do to reduce their exposure to some of the risks. Travel in as large a group as possible, travel only in the daytime, and visit the State Dept's website for the latest list of hot spots and stay away from them. Of course that's in addition to having an insurance policy that the Mexican Govt recognizes. Many people don't know that some US-based insurance policies aren't recognized by the Mexican Govt. Your policy may say that it covers you while RVing in Mexico, but the Mexican Govt. doesn't recognize it. They want you to buy THEIR insurance. It's just another way of getting money - but that's another topic.

I've seen the topic of RVing in Mexico come up before, but the people posting weren't asking anyone's opinion on whether or not it was "safe" to go, they were just going. You asked, so as a fellow RVer with current and specific knowledge of the risks, I felt obligated to answer your question. Best of luck.

Kev

Kevin, some very good info there and a great reminder for everyone. Thanks for putting it out there for all to share.

I would say to Eddie Elk that no matter the results of our November elections, it will always be better up here than down there.  We stopped going to Mexico over ten years ago because of safety concerns.  We miss it, but the problems down there just aren't worth it.  Even our Mexican friends don't go across the border any more for the same reason.  Why risk the life of you and your family???  How would you feel if you got caught in one of their crazy gun fights and your wife got killed?  Would it have been worth it then?  You can run into trouble anywhere in the world, but some places are worse than others and best avoided.

By the way, Kevin, I also thank you for your comments which are right on the mark.  We as Americans tend to be very naive when it comes to the rest of the world and there are some places I just won't go anymore.

ArdraF

My husband travels all over the world.  He said no matter how bad you think it is here, it is nothing like other countries.  He said you can walk in front of our White House and stop and look or take pictures without the fear of being shot.  He is in many countries where they say, do not even think about doing that.

Not worry about roads that have potholes the size of cars even though some of ours are bad.
Not being able to go to a hospital for fear of infection and disease.
Being able to go into banks and also knowing that you can rely on police and other people for the most part
Eat food that won't kill you most of the time
Have for the most part uniform laws
Have freedom of the press as much as some of the TV stations will let it be

There is much much more I could write and much more in depth we could debate.  But he said after seeing beautiful places and yet seeing how these people have to live with no safety nets, no health care, no nothing, he still prefers what we have over those places.  Where he is now the average wage is $2 a day, if you think they are living great, well what can I say.

Sometimes I think it would do each of us good to really have to spend a year living in some of those places and no I'm not talking Europe or any of the more civilized countries.

I hear people say that all the time about elections.  I likely even know which candidate you are talking about and I probably fear the other even more.  Right now we are going through a time of extremism in this country, I'm hoping over time it drifts back toward the middle again with a congress that will work together and really care about the problems in our country instead of their own agendas.

And no matter how bad it gets here remember there is much worse elsewhere.

God Bless America

Three years ago, in April IIRC, we spent three weeks in Baja traveling on a motorcycle.  We have a neighbor who was the State Dept station chief in Guadalajara prior to retirement and she called that office to ask about our proposed trip.  Their advice, at that time, was to cross the border as early in the morning as possible, make a B-line south and get at least 150 miles south of the border by noon.  After that, they told her, it is "Mexico as usual".  So that's what we did.  The only thing worrisome I noticed was the scarcity of tourists.  Many places were vacant, or nearly so..., often we were the only ones in the restaurant or motel.  The SCORE 500 mile Race was underway during part of our trip and even that was sparse.  Once we got to La Paz and Todos Santos there were more people around, especially in Cabo.  There were a few visitors at the whale watching coastal towns but elsewhere, nada.  We saw two RV caravans with about 10 coaches each but that was it.  Even the windsurfing enclaves were not very busy.

The articles I've seen since then indicate that the mainland cartels have "invaded" Baja and things are probably  different.  It's hard to imagine that there might be even less tourism now but probably so.  The next November, after the moto trip, we went to San Carlos via the big highway south from Nogales.  Same story, second verse... except for the Canadians... they were not deterred by the news reports... in fact, some RV parks were 90% Canadian.

Last year we talked to a local couple who went to San Carlos with the Escapee's Mexico Group.  They went as far as Mazatlan and on the way home, came upon a gory situation on the main hiway, probably 15 bodies all over the road.  That was enough to put a damper on our interests.  We know folks that still go several times every year though.  It probably helps, quite a bit, if you are fluent in Spanish.

From 2004-2009 I probably put 25,000 miles on my old Class B traveling between Brownsville, Texas and Guatemala (not to mention numerous bus trips over the years to and from the same areas).  I love Mexico.  I love her people.  I have no problems getting around.  Would I go back today?  I don't think so.  The fear has struck me and it cost me something I treasured, the ability to enjoy Mexico without fear.  I think my Class A makes too big a target to enable me to enjoy any traveling south of the border for now.  Maybe if I still had the Class B. 

Here is a link to a Mexico Forum where you can contact RVers in Mexico with current info and can you learn about commercial caravans.
http://www.mexicorvforums.com/

I can't wait to travel Mexico. You are going to get a lot of US flag waving - don't be deterred! This country ain't what it was, and may never be again. LOTS of crime against people. The drug dealers are killing themselves, not RVers (that happened in Florida). Anyone want to RV Detroit?! Eddie, if you need a list of honest blogs and such about Mexico, PM me!

For anyone interested, and if you have already made up your mind to spend next winter in Mexico you probably are not interested, on a couple of occasions I have posted a link to the M3 Report, here and here. This report is published daily by the National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers and fairly well summarizes the crime situation in Mexico, as well as now, the related crime in the U.S.

R

Eddie,  If things in November don't go to your liking by all means go to Mexico.  Why just winter?  Will they be better in the spring?  Why not leave your passports behind while you are at it?

Just plain horrible....  Not exactly the garden spot I'll consider for a vacation, that's for sure...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/04/at-least-23-people-killed-in-mexican-border-city-as-victims-hanged-decapitated/?test=latestnews

http://travel.booklocker.com/2011/05/18/travel-safety-in-perspective-usa-vs-mexico/

More narcos dead - so what? Any tourists hurt? Didn't think so.

Be afraid, people. That's just what your government wants.

jje1960 said:
Just plain horrible....  Not exactly the garden spot I'll consider for a vacation, that's for sure...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/04/at-least-23-people-killed-in-mexican-border-city-as-victims-hanged-decapitated/?test=latestnews

?  fox news ? kinda like jumbo shrimp    ;)

s2kskibum said:
http://travel.booklocker.com/2011/05/18/travel-safety-in-perspective-usa-vs-mexico/

More narcos dead - so what? Any tourists hurt? Didn't think so.

Be afraid, people. That's just what your government wants.

Refreshing perspective.  Thanks for posting.

Any tourists hurt? Didn't think so.

Sorry to tell you this, but yes there have been some tourists caught in crossfire.  I believe one man was from the LA area.  He was a teacher and his family probably wishes he hadn't made the trip south of the border.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Sorry to tell you this, but yes there have been some tourists caught in crossfire.  I believe one man was from the LA area.  He was a teacher and his family probably wishes he hadn't made the trip south of the border.

ArdraF

How many murders were in Los Angeles last year?

In: Society & Culture ? Demographics

Rate This Answer
0 Comments
Murders in Los Angeles fell last year to 376 compared to 400 the prior year. Homicideshave dropped 27% in the last 5 years.

LA 376  Mx 1  ?

taoshum said:
Rate This Answer
0 Comments
Murders in Los Angeles fell last year to 376 compared to 400 the prior year. Homicideshave dropped 27% in the last 5 years.
LA 376  Mx 1  ?

This is not a fair comparison.  Murders in LA were largely what?  Criminal upon victim?  In Mexico it is madness, the cartels take on not only innocent civilians, but the police AND the military.  That does not happen in LA does it?  Perhaps a bit, but not on the scale that it occurs south of the border.

And of the 376 murders, how many were American?  How many were RVers?  How many were innocent bystanders?  I think you're trying to compare apples and oranges here and it won't work. 

I used to defend Mexico.  I used to try to convince folks to go down there and discover the land and her people.  I used to love Tampico.  I met a lovely Mexican doctor there and we dated for a while.  I love Vera Cruz.  I love Chiapas, what a beautiful state.  But today the violence has moved far south of the border.  Places I felt comfortable, almost like my second home, now seem caught up in the violence and insanity that has taken over so many areas of Mexico.  It's not just a border thing anymore.  It may be just a matter of time before more foreigners become murder victims.

I believe that there is a real danger in Mexico these days and manipulating numbers will not cover that up.

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

Link please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom