Spending the Winter in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, sure strayed from the OP.... Headed South this post did (pun intended) like a brick in a swimming pool....

PatrioticStabilist said:
It's very hard to vote with dollars because there is hardly anything we can buy made in this country.  I try, but its harder and harder.  What we are letting happen to this wonderful country is a crying shame.  We are gutting ourselves, our industry, everything.

I know the average person can do little anymore and I do truly fear for the countries future.  We have exported and given away our wonderful technology and wonder what is wrong now.  If you don't have people working and paying taxes and supporting our domestic economy we are going to end up a 3rd world country.  Greed of the elite and and the politicos will cause our demise.  We will go out with a whimper eventually if this continues.

They start all these causes that shouldn't even be causes to divert our attention from what they are doing and I guess we have become dumb enough as a country to let it happen.

It's worse than you think:

http://www.economicpopulist.org/content/more-dire-reports-show-american-labor-force-huge-trouble?google_editors_picks=true

I had read in the WSJ back in 2008, and 2009, that American corporations had had in their plans for a long time to really ramp up outsourcing and we would see it go out of sight in 2010 and 11.  They certainly didn't fail us.  People try to blame this or that for it.  It's purely greed, they want to go overseas and ship cheap, though now the goods aren't so cheap, back to us.  The quality of much of it is just awful.

I don't think they understand that people without jobs and easy credit can't buy this stuff.  And I think they also beleive that they can sell all this stuff overseas.  The workers in developing countries just aren't making enough even with increased wage demands to become a part of the consumer class.  And what "the job creaters" are doing may bring the country down.  I'm so glad we are going to be retired.  Unless they truly do cut SS and medicare and it may happen as there are all us boomers no provisions have been made for.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I had read in the WSJ back in 2008, and 2009, that American corporations had had in their plans for a long time to really ramp up outsourcing and we would see it go out of sight in 2010 and 11.  They certainly didn't fail us.  People try to blame this or that for it.  It's purely greed, they want to go overseas and ship cheap, though now the goods aren't so cheap, back to us.  The quality of much of it is just awful.

I don't think they understand that people without jobs and easy credit can't buy this stuff.  And I think they also beleive that they can sell all this stuff overseas.  The workers in developing countries just aren't making enough even with increased wage demands to become a part of the consumer class.  And what "the job creaters" are doing may bring the country down.  I'm so glad we are going to be retired.  Unless they truly do cut SS and medicare and it may happen as there are all us boomers no provisions have been made for.

Sometimes I wonder if this "debt" thing is a sham...  if any of us go to a lender... the first question is "What are your assets (for collateral)?"  Anyone ever hear an answer to that question for the US, as a country?

One estimate in a blog was $200 Trillion.  I tried to check that number and could not find any other estimates.  If our total assets are that large, then debt of $20Trillion is about 10% of assets.  Most lenders would be very happy to make loans against those odds.  Or looking at it the other way, 10% of the assets could be used to pay off the debt.  Why all the focus on budgets and taxes?

If a business needed a loan to get through some tough times and had plenty of assets, lenders would line up to make the loan....?  If the US is going thru a tough time, needing extra $$ to pay immediate bills for the next few decades, maybe the debt needs to be re-financed and new terms implemented...  Boomers are not going to live "forever"..

JPMorgan/Chase has billions to throw around, BTW  Maybe the drug cartels would lend $$$, LOL? 

The OP did mention "spending"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom