Posting and Sharing Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travelnman

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and have some pics of some Barred Surf Perch I caught at Pismo Beach, CA to share with you. Camping and Fishing are the things I luv to do, but unfortunately we sold our travel trailer approximately 10 years ago. It is still in my heart and on my mind all the time though. We (Delores & Eddie) have even started talking about buying another one though, but is exactly undecided as to what it will be. All I can say for sure is that it will be something small and that we will have it by the end of this year. Being that we both miss going camping and all the friends we met or made in the past.

As for the pics I am going to share with you, first let me try to explain to those who don't understand or go by the law. I have a Ocean License, Retail License and Commercial License for Unlimited Surf Fishing. Meaning that April 31 - July 31 the limit is/was 5 perch per person or a day, but has been changed to either 10 or 20 in February 2006. The rest of the year with my commercial license my limit is unlimited. So in the pics I am posting you will see anywhere from 5 - 50 bsp, if not more. The reason being that I live in Orange County and drive 450 miles round trip to Pismo Beach and figure the only 5 fish was not worth the trip. I have been going to Pismo now for 17-18 years. We use to camp & fish, but right now most of the time do turnarounds the same day. So I fish unlimited for personal use or consumption only and not to sell. Any fish that I do not wish to keep I throw back or keep them and give to family, friends or even strangers. Either way I am not breaking the law and have all documents or licenses needed. So I hope that you understand.

As for the pics that I am posting these are bsp I have caught over the last 2-3 months at Pismo Beach weighing 1-3 lbs on a 9' & 11' Kencor Rod, 2 Peen Slammer Reels w/12 lb Test, 1-5 oz Pyramid Weights, #6 & #8 Circle Bait Hooks and Berkley Gulp (Blood Worms, Cut Bait, Sandcrabs, Sand Worms), Live Blood Worms, Frozen Squid, or what ever they are biting on at the time. I have not gone in about 3 weeks now, but plan on going again in the near future. So until then I hope you enjoy and good luck.

TTYL,

Attachments

• Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-02.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-02.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-06.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-06.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-10.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-10.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-16.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-16.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-17.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-17.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-19.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-19.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-28.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP-28.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP- 23.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP- 23.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 34
Travelnman said:
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and have some pics of some Barred Surf Perch I caught at Pismo Beach, CA to share with you. Camping and Fishing are the things I luv to do, but unfortunately we sold our travel trailer approximately 10 years ago. It is still in my heart and on my mind all the time though. We (Delores & Eddie) have even started talking about buying another one though, but is exactly undecided as to what it will be. All I can say for sure is that it will be something small and that we will have it by the end of this year. Being that we both miss going camping and all the friends we met or made in the past.

Hello Eddie:

Welcome to the RVForum -- glad you found us. Also, glad to read that you plan to get back into another Trailer by years end. And thank you for sharing the pics of your catch of the day/s. How do you serve a bsp? The only perch I am familiar with were the fresh water kind back in Kentucky when I fished with my Dad. However, they were no where near the size of the ones you post.

I've been an RVer since '94 -- actually, a full time RVer. The first trip I took was down the coast on the 101 from my Brother's place in San Jose. My first nights stay was Pismo. I stayed at the State park campground in Pismo. I had not been there before -- other than to drive through. I enjoyed it so much i have been back every year since -- and consider it one of my most favorite places to camp.? No hookups, a huge fire pit, and the ocean is just a sand dune away.? :)

My last trip was in December '04 just before the Christmas holidays. Have attached a picture I took of a fisherman on the end of the Pismo Pier. Was wondering what kind of fish he was after as a pier fisherman. Do you ever fish from the pier?

BTW, the beach I see in the background in your pics looks more like Oceana or Grover than Pismo. I guess most refer to that entire stretch as Pismo . . .

Attachments

• PierFisherman.jpg
    PierFisherman.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 26
Eddie,

Thanks for posting those photos. They take me back a long time to when I used to fish in the surf.

Bob Buchanan said:
Hello Eddie:

Welcome to the RVForum -- glad you found us. Also, glad to read that you plan to get back into another Trailer by years end. And thank you for sharing the pics of your catch of the day/s. How do you serve a bsp? The only perch I am familiar with were the fresh water kind back in Kentucky when I fished with my Dad. However, they were no where near the size of the ones you post.

I've been an RVer since '94 -- actually, a full time RVer. The first trip I took was down the coast on the 101 from my Brother's place in San Jose. My first nights stay was Pismo. I stayed at the State park campground in Pismo. I had not been there before -- other than to drive through. I enjoyed it so much i have been back every year since -- and consider it one of my most favorite places to camp.? No hookups, a huge fire pit, and the ocean is just a sand dune away.? :)

My last trip was in December '04 just before the Christmas holidays. Have attached a picture I took of a fisherman on the end of the Pismo Pier. Was wondering what kind of fish he was after as a pier fisherman. Do you ever fish from the pier?

BTW, the beach I see in the background in your pics looks more like Oceano or Grover than Pismo. I guess most refer to that entire stretch as Pismo . . .

Bob-

Thanks for the warm welcoming and I am glad that you enjoyed the pics. I see they bring back lots of good, old memories for you. Yes, we went to Pismo Coast Village for the first time in 1989 and have been going 5-6 times if not more every year since then. It is like home away from home to us. The only problem is we have not been camping for several years but go surf fishing year around Being Pismo Beach is the only beach in CA that you can drive on and you can also camp, fish, BBQ, ride your dirt bikes or what ever you want to and enjoy the cool breeze.  The fishing is great too accept the only kind of fish you will catch is barred surf perch and walleyes or silver perch. When I first started going to Pismo I did not know a thing about surf fishing, but I watch the commercial fisherman catch buckets & buckets of 3-4 lb perch and just knew that this was for me. So I spent a few $$$ and bought everything I needed and ever since then have became to be quite good at it myself. Now I usually catch more than enough bsp and end up giving away more than I keep. Simply because I live in an apartment and have a small freezer. I use to make my potato salad and baked beans at home and the catch some fresh fish at Pismo to fry or grill at the campground to go with it. Those were the good old days and I miss it. Now we go every 2-3 weeks, sometimes twice a month and arrive at 5:00 AM and fish until 2 or 3PM and then head back home.

When I cook them at home I basically have only one recipe that I use over & over. Which is because there is not too many different ways to cook bsp. Since it falls apart so easily. So I just like mine well seasoned the way I like it and covered w/ yellow cornmeal or I use seasoned "Louisiana Seasoned Fish Fry", and fry it in a large deep cast iron skillet in hot oil. I also use "Louisiana Chicken & Fish Bake" (Season Coating Mix), bake in the oven and serve either way with coleslaw, french fries, potato salad or any combination. Also topped with fresh salsa, tabasco sause, fresh lemon juice and tarter sauce with any bread or roll you may like. Try it out, you can't go wrong and it is delicious. Everytime I go fishing at Pismo I look forward to it. Which by the way yes Pismo Beach to me is the entire area meaning, Oceano, Grover and Pismo Beach. I usually fish on the central or south end where the water is deeper and you will find most of the honey holes. Also where the campers and others will be too. I seldom if ever fish from the pier since you have no where to go if they are not biting or if the Pier is crowded. On the beach you can go from one location to another with a 6-8 mile stretch of beach to fish and if during the week you have it all to yourself. I just hope that I have not given you the blues.  :) :) :)

Either way I am sending some more pics to share with you and others and is already counting the days and looking forward to going back. So mean while you have enough fun for me too. Good luck and enjoy. By the way the last 3 or 4 pics were taken at the State Park Campground in Pismo.

See Ya,
Eddie

Attachments

• Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 032.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 032.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 33.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 33.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 034.jpg
    Pismo Beach, CA - BSP - 034.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 19