Help, Mice in the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littldo

Hi,
have a 5th wheel and have mice/mouse in the roof above the bedroom that's keeping me awake. 
Any hints or tips about how I find them,  find where they're getting in, and how to keep them out.

I've reviewed the other postings, but I haven't seen anything about the roof.

Thanks in advance.
doug

I just talked to a pest control person. They told me to use CONX found in feed store. Looks like blocks of hard peanut butter, when mice eat it. It sticks to the roof of there mouth. They then leave your place to find water and when they drink they die outside your home.....

We had a red squirrel above the ceiling in a previous motorhome. It climbed up inside the rear cap, which is really just a hollow shell in many RVs. Couldn't keep him out of there while we were parked long term in a campground, but after a 200 mile ride we heard him bail out at a rest stop. Guess he wasn't inclined to be a work traveler!

There are several brands of  mouse bait that work as you describe. Lowes, Depot, etc. carry them.

Gary RV Roamer said:
We had a red squirrel above the ceiling in a previous motorhome. It climbed up inside the rear cap, which is really just a hollow shell in many RVs.

Gary,
How did it get in there? Isn't the cap sealed? My 5er front cap is hollow but I can't see how a critter could get in there without chewing a hole in the cap itself.

This was on a 96 Southwind and the cap was open at the bottom (common on motorhome rear caps). Obviously there was an opening at the top too, since the little fella had no problem scampering up and down and along the a/c ducts between roof and ceiling. I coud hear him regularly, even at night. Squirrels are apparently active at night when in a safe place where the owls can't get at them!

We had a small chipmunk get in the roof of are first motorhome - 94 HR Imperial. He also got in through the back cap where where there was a hole for wires. I actually got him out by removing a light fixture in one of the bedside shirt cabinets - I wore leather gloves. Then I sealed the hole with wire and foam. Living in the Vermont countryside the chipmunks and mice were always a problem.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
We had a small chipmunk get in the roof of are first motorhome - 94 HR Imperial. He also got in through the back cap where where there was a hole for wires. I actually got him out by removing a light fixture in one of the bedside shirt cabinets - I wore leather gloves. Then I sealed the hole with wire and foam. Living in the Vermont countryside the chipmunks and mice were always a problem.

ken
Alvin! :)

Thanks for the good stories.

I'll see if I can't find the mouse blocks.

THanks

I know this is gonna sound terrible but when I picked ours up in Tennessee after being parked up there for 2 years, it was infested with field mice. They had chewed a hole through the expanding foam at the firewall and were climbing up along side the windshield up to the roof. 

I figured the drive to Florida would have run allot of them off but it didn't. I guess they just hunkered down for the ride. I ended up placing bait blocks all over the place while I did my restoration on it. I was planning on pretty much gutting the inside anyway so I figured I'd find them during the reno.....  Low and behold, I did find 17 small mice, all dead in the weeks that followed my return with the coach.

I am not sure if I found all of them but I haven't seen or heard any moving around since....  I think one may have crawled up inside my furnace and died because when I turn it on, it smells horrible. I am not sure if it is a dead mouse or the smell from the previous owners dogs living with them.... Still trying to get rid of the smell in the furnace...

How about a 12ga shotgun. if that didn't work, I'd trade it in on another unit.

As Gary mentioned earlier, little critters can be quite active at night.  Being in the woods, we have all kinds of critters during the course of the night rambling through the lot.  I have found Pet Screen picked up at any big box store used to re-screen any patio screen door works well to cover unheated openings or vents.  It's a heavy gauge fiberglass screen and still easy to work with. 

Wire screen for vents like furnace, reefer, range hood, A/C, etc...

We put mouse bait in our lower compartments of our motorhome and found piles of the bait in our cupboard under the stove. some of these mice are incredibly smart.  We finally found a large gap in the water bay and sprayed foam to block the entrance so far it's worked pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom