Chromatic tuner for your Android device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, ukes have certainly made a comeback.

Aye Bill, it seems the resurgence has been going on for the last few years.

As a kid I used to watch George Formby play the uke in his unique style, but forgot all about it until I was invited to talk to a local uke group last June. After my talk, I stuck around for their practice and got hooked.

For a long time the only two images to come to mind when a uke was mentioned was a hola skirted girl and Tiny Tim Tiptoeing through the tulips.

Coming back around mainstream again.

Both of you are too young. Arthur Godfrey used to play the Uke on his show. Never had a show without it.  ;D ;D Of course, I was only a small child then. Really!!!

Tom, the strings were the best......Martin!!! :)

... the strings were the best......Martin!!!

There's no questioning Martin strings Jim. OTOH I wouldn't put them on any of my (non-Martin) ukes; They're best suited for ukes with the kinds of woods that Martin uses, and the result is an unbelieveable tone. The best all-round uke strings are Aquila nylgut strings; They have a poor web site, but these strings will make any uke hum.

I have one uke that someone recently bought me as a gift, and it doesn't play well at all. It came with el cheapo GHS strings, and my first step will be to put on Aquila strings; I'm confident the uke will come to life.

Tom,

I'll have to make a note of those strings.

Bill,

They are nylon, not steel. Arthur use to strum it on his show. Don't remember if he really played a lot. Still, it kept the Uke in people's minds.

... doesn't play well at all. It came with el cheapo GHS strings, and my first step will be to put on Aquila strings; I'm confident the uke will come to life.

Finally got around to ordering the new Aquila strings and put them on today. It'll take a week or so to nurse them in, but already there's a huge difference in the sound from that uke. Ordered  the strings from Amazon, cost all of $7.67 for the set, and they were shipped from Total Music Source via UPS.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, here's an illustrated explanation of how to string a ukulele.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom