Allure Flooring - Holding Down An Open Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

Hi all.  I just bought some Allure Mahogany for our 5th wheel.  This is the Allure vinyl plank that has the over/under adhesive edges for bonding to adjacent planks, but is designed for floating installation.  After reading the manufacturer's install guide and the many posts about Allure on this forum, I am still unsure of how to handle two edges that cannot be trimmed with baseboard or other material.  These will be the opposing edges at the slide.  I have excellent clearance for slide operation and plan to use a carpet runner to handle the transition; not entirely unlike the carpet-to-carpet-to-vinyl transition came from the factory.  The carpet will likely be Velcroed to the final Allure plank on the slide, enabling it to travel over the slide/main floor junction while opened.  It will be easily removed for cleaning, and get us 98% to the goal of total hard flooring.  So if I'm not clear enough so far, the slide's inside plank and the main floor's plank closest to it cannot be trimmed with 1/4 round or whatever due to slide operation.  I do not want to take away from the concept of the floating floor by using a solid anchor such as glue or staples, even for just these edge planks.  But keeping in mind that we're talking about 1 of 4 sides on a rectangle (2 rectangles actually), I was thinking of using something that allows a bit of movement, but would hold the edge down.  Perhaps Silicone or 2-sided tape?  Any ideas?  Thanks!

What is the clearance between the slide and the floor? You can purchase transition strips that only add  .125". Otherwise i would use staples. Tacking down on one leading edge shouldnt pose any problems.

I've got the clearance, guess I didn't see any brand-specific transitions at HD.  But since it will be out of sight, I guess color-match is moot.  I just need to match the Allure thickness (or lack thereof) and give it a try.  But like you, I'm thinking movement across the other three edges should allow for one edge to be anchored ... staples would be easiest!  Thanks.

I just used an Armstrong product much like the Allure.  I was considering anchoring one side with a bead of adhesive down one side where it joins the carpet.  Instead I was able to slightly lift the carpet and slip the vinyl just under the edge of the carpet and it looks Great.

I see no real problem with fastening one side of the 4.

Best of luck and post some photos!!!

I got the Allure floor laid couple of weeks ago.  Haven't treated the edge that was the topic of my original post, yet.  It has 1/4 round on the edges.  Looks really nice!.  Just trying to figure out the best path for the step from living area to bedroom.  Factory was 2 x 4 construction box topped with OSB, carpeted on all exposed sides.  Since getting rid of carpet is desired, I'm thinking of applying Allure to the sides, and replacing the tread with a hinged lid (it was an inaccessible cavity that looks like good storage space).  One idea for the lid is a laminated butcher block - maybe I can find literally a kitchen cutting block close to the right size, cut to fit, and then apply a nice finish to it.  While pondering upholstery solutions, I decided to place a 26" Plasma TV where the old brick TV used to be.  26" is good because it was free from a friend, and it looks great compared to the 21" big tube that was original.  But I framed it in a way that it should be an easy swap for a 37" to 42" TV when budget allows.  A custom grid below hides some box speakers, and I put an all-in-one DVD/surround receiver in the slot below (free, and free - it's good to have a friend in the A/V business who has a garage full of used take-out stuff from TV and home audio installs!).  Center channel and rear speakers, along with a subwoofer will come eventually. There's room for the Direct TV receiver to stack.  Below that, the original ghetto blaster with speakers remains, but soon it goes and the area will be shelved for books, movies and games.  The bonus of going flat screen is a huge cavern behind it from the old TV space.  We opened it up on the bathroom side and built a two-shelf towel/TP storage closet.  This 5th wheel was good on storage already, but now it clearly has more storage per s.f. than my house!  I realize that my description of work is meager without the before and after pictures.  I'll work on that!  If you're reading this and have suggestions about upholstery, please look for my thread on that subject that is about to go up.

After replacing all the carpet in the living/kitchen areas with the laminate floating floor equivalent of Allure I considered the hinged step as well but decided to leave it with carpet as the flooring material could be slippery if it gets wet (bare wet feet perhaps!!!)

I did leave the carpet on the flush floor slides for now as fastening the flooring material down and camouflaging the necessary gap on the edge seemed problematic. SWMBO wants that carpet gone too if I can figure out how to handle the steel leading edge of the slide and the 3/4-1" gap required between the slide and the main floor.

Ideas Ernie???

The only way to do that is to add 1/4 plywood on the slide. Cover the whole slide and extend it out to just where it covers the edge of main floor. Install your flooring and I use a vinyl transition strip that is called a carpet to zero reducer. It comes in quite a few colors. The edge of your new flooring will be inside the little groove of the transition moulding. You can glue it to the edge of plywood with some epoxy or Gorilla glue. This can be done but take your time. Ernie

Ah!!! But in using the 1/4" ply, does this not nullify the 'Flat Floor' concept or is it skillfully disguised by the transition strip. Does the plywood then hang out over the 3/4-1" gap required for the slide to be retracted covering it but without interfering with the retraction?

Currently the main floor has a long strip of hardwood fronting the edge and tapered towards the slide to ease the slide rollers up onto the floor while retracting. (Barely visible on RHS in attached photo)

Thanks for any info Ernie. If this works then it looks like SWMBO may get her wish!!!

Attachments

• Floor2217a.jpg
    Floor2217a.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for the input everybody.  Ernie, do clients just get used to the untreated gap?  I'm not opposed to the stapling, but still think some sort of dressing is needed at the main floor/slide seam.  I'll have to show my concern through pics, as I'm sure other rigs differ.  Away from home until the weekend, I'll try to post when I get back.

There is no untreated gap that isn't covered by whatever slide material that the client wants. The transition strip is a way to have the same material on both surfaces vs having carpet with  a bound edge.
If the slide is raised, then we have a transition strip for that also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom