Acetone Fuel Additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BernieD said:
kkolbus said:
Bill,

In the interest of making this test as real-life as possible, I'm not using a single source, but getting gas wherever necessary; not the same station or brand. It's just not practical (unless you're Ron Ruward, who's rig can hold 300 gallons - enough to heat a house in Wisconsin all winter ;D? ;D).

And not only does he carry enough fuel, he even carries his own utilities with him.
We let Chet Parks use them and they were the only ones that had full hookups while he was in the field a couple days at Moab. ;D

Ron said:
Might just be about time to upgrade those hookups to 50 Amp Bernie.

My electrical skills are limited. If we are able to stop by Sam's camp this summer, we'll have you help us upgrade the electric service so Smoky can have full service at QZ next winter :D :D

BernieD said:
Ron said:
Might just be about time to upgrade those hookups to 50 Amp Bernie.

My electrical skills are limited. If we are able to stop by Sam's camp this summer, we'll have you help us upgrade the electric service so Smoky can have full service at QZ next winter :D :D
Smoky already has the current only 50 amp full hookup site reserved.  I will be happy to help you upgrade you hookups to 50 amp.  Should we add Cat5 connector too for networking?

Ron said:
I will be happy to help you upgrade you hookups to 50 amp.  Should we add Cat5 connector too for networking?

Ron

I showed you, I already have the communications upgrade; CAT-5 and RJ-11 :D :D

BernieD said:
Ron said:
I will be happy to help you upgrade you hookups to 50 amp.? Should we add Cat5 connector too for networking?

Ron

I showed you, I already have the communications upgrade; CAT-5 and RJ-11 :D :D

I forgot you have cat5 along with the RJ11 phone connection.

Karl talks of heating air before injecting it into the carburetor in increase power.  It was my impression that warm air is less dense and expands less when injected in a engine??  A diesel needs warm air as it is heat that causes the explosion where in a gas engine it is an electrical spark.

fredethomas said:
Karl talks of heating air before injecting it into the carburetor in increase power.? It was my impression that warm air is less dense and expands less when injected in a engine??? A diesel needs warm air as it is heat that causes the explosion where in a gas engine it is an electrical spark.

The Charge Air Cooler on our diesel pushers cool the air before it enters the engine.  When the Charge Air Cooler gets plugged so the cooling air cannot flow over it properly milage can decrease. 

Ron,
You are absolutely correct about the charge air being denser when cool. I have twin turbochargers on my engine and the air passes thru intercoolers to reduce the heat and increase the density. Without them the charge air would be about 400 deg. F; way too hot. The system referred to was a design done by someone else for a carburated engine, and the more highly vaporized fue/air mixture outweighed the disadvantage of a less dense charge in terms of mileage. They didn't have intercoolers at the time, so that wasn't an option.  In general, cooler is better, but the MAP sensor, air temp. sensor, and throttle position sensor on modern engines work together to modulate the fuel/air mixture so you're not producing more power than necessary for your current driving conditions and therefore using more fuel than is required.     

Fred,

Sorry, I was actually responding to your post. Yes, diesels operate quite differently from gas engines. It's the extremely high compression that causes the fuel to burn. A spark by itself would do nothing because the diesel fuel has a very low vapor pressure and needs a lot of heat to vaporize properly. Theoretically, you could start one in very cold temps. by continuous cranking, but that's neither practical nor wise. Pre-heat devices do a much better job. 

kkolbus said:
Early results are in!

With a 640:1 ratio of gasoline to acetone, mileage increased by roughly 5% - o.k., but not great.
With a 300:1 ration, it jumped to a 17% increase!!? :D
Granted, this is after only 750 miles, but I'll continue the testing for many thousands of miles. Next ratio to be tested will be 166:1. Also noticed a significant increase in power and no detrimental side effects.

I'll keep you posted.?

That's a great start Karl.  Keep us posted.  When are you going to try the motorhome?  If you get good results, I might try my Detroit.

Ron,

I won't be making any long trips in the MH until October when I go to Yuma, but that should be a pretty significant test as I'll be travelling more or less the same route as last year. In the meantime, I'll continue the auto tests and report back regularly; currently testing a 166:1 ratio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom