EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Alaska with the Brewer's 06  (Read 136597 times)

Smoky

• ---
Re: Alaska with the Brewer's 06
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2006, 11:17:31 AM »
Ned:

Great bear shot!  How did you get him to turn around and pose?  Can you get the bear to upload the picture he took of you running away after he grabbed the camera out of your hands?
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2006, 11:22:53 AM »
Today is Russ's day....On a beautiful drive to Teslin.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2006, 11:37:11 AM »
What is the story behind those totem poles by the road in the photo?

Smoky,
The Totem Pole carvings were along the entrance walk way to the Tlingit Heritage Center.  I actually did not tour this center just looked around outside. The totem poles usually tell a story of a particular clan.  They are often very sad stories.I learned this while on a cruise to Alaska and visited the Totem Pole Park in Ketchikan.  Maybe others in my group will know more specifics on those particular carvings.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »
Betty:

I love totem poles and have always been fascinated by them.  On our journey in the east coast North Country we visited Deep Bay on lake Champlain where I always went in the summer both as a child and a young adult.  At the camp I attended and later was a counselor at, between the girls camp and the boys camp was an authentic totem pole.  I was so sad to see this week, that it had finally disappeared.  I had very much wanted to take a picture of it.  It looked very similar to the ones you displayed, using many of the same colors and designs.

Please post any more you come across, I love them!! 

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »

Hi Guys

Not sure if you have this link :- http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp

It will give you the road conditions up here.

The Parks Highway was closed for 7hrs yesterday due to a forest fire, and Im hearing it could be closed today also (which will throw our plans out a bit).

Paul

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
Thanks Paul!  Saved once again, for future reference.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
Betty,

Your picture, YT-25,  brought back some memories.  Notice that the ridges on the bridges in Canada run parallel to your track, not perpendicular as in the states.  We had been warned of this before our motorcycle trip.  The bridge decides where you go, not the bike rider.  Since this is the longest bridge we encoutered, we waited until there was no oncoming traffic and then set out.  We used the entire width of the bridge in getting across.  The bike was going one direction, the trailer in another.  Just part of the adventure ::)
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Lorna

• ---
    • Our itinerary
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »
Smokey

Those represent the different clans of the Tlingit Indians.  The totems, carved by Keith Wolfe Smarch, represent the Wolf, Eagle, Frog, Beaver and Raven clans.
Lorna
Better to drive thy closet than pack thy suitcase
Want to know where we are?
http://whereis.nedreiter.com
Follow our trip of the USA at http://blog.usabyrv.us

rhmahoney

• ---
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2006, 09:18:08 PM »
Those totem poles are at the Tlingit museum in Teslin and represent clan animals etc.
Green Flash seeker
Country Coach Magna
Datastorm internet satellite dish.D3.Direcway 7000 modem

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2006, 09:52:35 PM »
Betty,

Re Mukluk Annie’s

Whe we were there the food was only ok, but the boat ride was free as well as the camping.

Current web traffic from last year says the kids have taken over running the place and that the food was terrible and the service was extremely slow - so you did miss anything.

Sounds like the the kids have just gotten greedy. Too bad.

We are really glad you guys are having a good time.

It really is a great trip. I am planning on returning in '09. I never though it would take 11 years to get back to Alaska.

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Tim & Jan

• ---
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2006, 10:32:02 PM »
Day 15   June 7, 2006    Liard Hot Springs to Just past Watson Lake   1062.7 km

Upon entering Watson Lake we met up with Russ, Ned and Lorna and toured the infamous Signpost Forest. We searched for the RV Forum sign we thought had been posted there but we did not have all day!     

On your way back, look for the antique fire engine and the RV Forum sign that we posted three years ago was near by.
Tim & Jan Lynch

Tim & Jan

• ---
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »
Found a couple of photos regarding the RV Forum sign at Watson Lake.

Tim & Jan Lynch

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2006, 11:20:46 PM »
Tim & Jan,

Thanks for sharing those photos.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2006, 12:24:55 AM »
Found a couple of photos regarding the RV Forum sign at Watson Lake.

Tim,

OK so now you tell us where to look!!  We did get a free poster and we think there is an RV Forum yellow ball cap on one of the pillars.  (If it really isn't, we are going to pretend it is.)

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2006, 12:36:49 AM »
Re Mukluk Annie’s
When we were there the food was only OK, but the boat ride was free as well as the camping.

Current web traffic from last year says the kids have taken over running the place and that the food was terrible and the service was extremely slow - so you did miss anything.

Ken,
It was so hot in the restaurant with their open hearth grill and when we asked if we could sit in the big empty section away from the heat and they said no.  So we left .  I don't think we missed a good meal either.  The boat ride was worth the $5.00 and the easy in easy out and no need to unhook made the $10 camping fee tolerable.

It is disappointing to see traditions and freebies die. There was some talk of whether or not Annie's would even open at all this season. All in all we would go back but with lesser expectations.  Tonight we are in Whitehorse and I am too tired to do my journal.  I will combine 2 days after the big day of tourists things tomorrow. With this near  22 hours of daylight I am staying up way too late.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2006, 01:23:51 PM »
Thanks Lorna!!

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »
Today is Russ's day....On a beautiful drive to Teslin.

Terry:

Tell Russ he has taking photos of your coach down pat. ;D

UK-RV

• ---
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2006, 01:06:02 AM »
Hi Betty, Terry et al

We are now in Fairbanks (Rivers Edge RV Park).

May I suggest that you spend at least one night dry camped at Pioneer Park (old Alaskaland).

The $10 fee is offset by coupons for $3 off the Salmon Bake and $3 off the Palace Theatre show, plus a couple of other little coupons.

The Salmon Bake was good - I would suggest grabbing a table behind the small dessert cabin - you will be on the lawn, with the warm sun and a gentle breeze of smoke from the BBQ area - yummy !

The 'bake' was very quiet this evening (Sat) with loads of space - and unlike so many where you are booked-in at a set time with pre set bus home, here you can arrive anytime between 5pm and 9pm and just take your time.

You can (will) spend a good week at Fairbanks - there is SO much to do.

We didnt get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

BTW - this CG offers a $2 return shuttle to the El Dorado Gold Mine (we panned $10 worth of gold between us today) - there are only a limited few places which offer the shuttle.

There is also a free shuttle from here to the Riverboat Discovery tour.

If you are after free dry camping, you would ideally head for the OLD Fred Meyer or OLD Safeway (although the newer one has gas with Safeway discount card/points).

Finally, diesel is $2.90 today at Fred Meyer.

Hope it helps.

Paul

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2006, 06:12:22 AM »

We didnt get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

Betty et al

The Museum at the Alaska University is awesome. There you will get information on the nearby "large animal research park" which is not to be missed. Very large herd of musk ox there.

Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2006, 12:41:16 PM »
Day 17     June 9, 2006   Teslin to Whitehorse, Yukon Canada   
Today we got a leisurely 10:20 a.m.start for a 2 hour drive to Whitehorse.  We wonder where have all the potholes gone, as the roads are good today.  We turned down a road at the Yukon River Bridge turnout to enjoy the views the book tells about and Terry exclaims, ”Oh sh#*.”  This turn out only has one exit, so we must exit the way we turned in and he does not figure we have enough room to turn around without unhooking the car.  He says he should have trusted his instinct.  But I tell him we can make it in one big slow turn.  He says ok we will try.  Russ photographs the turn and guess what we can turn around in 78 feet! I had to move some tree branches away from the mirror but we are out and on the highway again.  Did I mention the views of the Yukon River and Valley were wonderful?  Terry did not see them.   When we arrive in Whitehorse, the challenge becomes that of selecting a camp sight that is Internet friendly AND will connect to Russ’ Direct TV as it is a big Formula One Race weekend. We unhook the car and I act as the scout and drive up the road considering southern skies and no trees. I liked the Mckenzie RV Park north of town. We settled on a very small campground called Mountain Ridge Motel and RV Park.  It is close to town, has free wifi and clear views of southern skies.  Terry and Russ are watching races as I compose this message. Ned and Lorna selected the Pioneer RV Park just outside of town.  Next stop visitor center.  Whitehorse is a lovely little town with a large waterfront area that is along the Yukon River.  Armed with tourist guides we drive around the downtown area, stopped in a few gift shops, have raspberry gelatos and drive to some of the river viewpoints for photos.
 We attended the Frantic Follies Vaudeville Revue in the evening and came away with sore stomachs from laughing so much.   The girls could kick higher than you could imagine and the colorful costumes along with the humorous monologues of Robert Service provided an evening of local color and good clean entertainment!  I now have the hang of the black out curtains for the bedroom so I can sleep.
Statistics:
   Motorhome Miles Driven: 101
   Temperature:   High  78      Low 45
   Wildlife sightings: a rabbit.
   Camping costs: $30.00 per night with wifi

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:43:47 PM by Betty Brewer »
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »
Hi Betty, Terry et alWe are now in Fairbanks (Rivers Edge RV Park).
May I suggest that you spend at least one night dry camped at Pioneer Park (old Alaskaland).
You can (will) spend a good week at Fairbanks - there is SO much to do.
Finally, diesel is $2.90 today at Fred Meyer.
Paul,
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will print them out.  Good new on fuel prices.  Who would ever think I'd say good news  for $2.90 a gallon!.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Shayne

• ---
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2006, 01:11:31 PM »
Betty =  Thanks for the pics  Many of us are enjoying your trip via your pics and commentary.   Thanks again.
Old, Stubborn, Opinionated, Set in my Ways, and Independent,  IMHO

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2006, 01:14:25 PM »
Day 18   June 10, 2006  Whitehorse, the capitol of the Yukon and  Touristy Places

What a day.  We visited the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre and learned about the last ice age and the giant wooly mammoths that roamed the area. As we were the first tourists to arrive we had a personal tour of the place and the guide took us out back where each of us was given a lesson in how to throw an atal atal, which is an ancient spear throwing device used to hunt by the First Nation Indians. I speared a ground hog, Russ speared a beaver (I think) and Terry’s arrow went the farthest and he got the wooly mammoth.  His arrow even stuck into the target. We had quite a giggle with this activity.  Wevisited the Yukon Transportation Museum (Terry’s favorite) and saw unique displays of railways, sternwheelers and First Nations transportation modes.  We visited The MacBride Museum and experienced early Whitehorse natural History and gold rush history.  We visited the SS Klondike National Historic Site which is a grand old 270 foot stern-wheeler that was used to transport goods and passengers to the Dawson City via the Yukon and it is now permanently on display in the harbor.  It is an incredible restoration and was my favorite of the day as the guide was very knowledgeable! We love tours.  We took a 2-hour cruise on the Yukon River on the most beautiful day of the year.  Warm sunny skies have everyone in a great mood.  We saw a nest of Ravens along the wall of the Miles Canyon.  We visited a local art gallery in the countryside and Russ has his eye on a sculpture done in antlers.

We ate at a restaurant recommended by a woman at City hall and it turned out to be a fantastic meal with linen table cloths and napkins..  By looking at the place we would never have selected it, so the lesson learned was ask a local where to dine! It was called G and P and it featured steak and Pizza.  It was pricey but well worth every cent!  We are enjoying this city so much that we decided to stay one more day as they have more art galleries, more museums and Terry wants to wash bugs off front of rig.  I need to shop for groceries and there are several markets in town. I am trying to talk any of you reading this journal into visiting these places.  This is a wonderful trip rich in history and natural wonders!  I love it here!  Of course it was 82 degrees today. The locals are complaining about how hot it is!

Statistics:
   Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
   Temperature:   High  82      Low  67
   Wildlife sightings: eagle in harbor at dusk when we had no camera. Ravens in nest.
   Camping costs: $30  Mountain Ridge Inn
   Museum Fees:  I don’t even want to know today!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
Betty:

Are you planning to drive down to Skagway?   It is a must run, but should be done in the car.  Along the route is a place called the "Smallest Desert"  which should get Terry's attention.  You will also pass "Emerald Lake".  If the ships are in, there is a lot of activity.  When they are not there, the place is like a ghost town.  Another must is the train ride.

Enjoying your journal and photos.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
Paul - UKRV

The Diesel in Quebec near Quebec City is US$3.72 per US gallon and, would you believe it, the Canadians do NOT have to import any crude oil.  They have enough for themselves and export crude oil to the US.  Also, Canada has enough refineries to meet their refining needs.

I suppose it's the political and oil interests ripping off the common citizens.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
Here are some Whitehorse town pics of todays touring.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »
snip

We didn't get chance to go, but people have spoken highly of the Museum at Alaska University, and our bus driver today spoke of a "large animal research park" close to the museum which is supposed to be good (but no mention of it in any local free newspapers etc).

snip

Paul,

The Large Animal Research Park (also known as the Musk Ox Farm) is easy to find.

From Rivers Edge take Airport Way back toward town. Turn left on University Ave. Then turn left on Ballaine Rd. I think it should be about three or four traffic lights. Then turn left on Yankovich Rd. Which should be the first left after you turn on Ballaine. The Large Animal Research Park will be about a mile and a half down Yankovich on your right.

I'm not sure they have tours everyday so check. Rivers Edge should have a phone number for them. There is a viewing stand outside the fence if they are closed for tours.

They had Musk Ox and Raindeer there when I worked there one summer.

Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2006, 05:35:48 PM »
     Are you planning to drive down to Skagway?   It is a must run, but should be done in the car.  Along the route is a place called the "Smallest Desert"  which should get Terry's attention.  You will also pass "Emerald Lake".  If the ships are in, there is a lot of activity.  When they are not there, the place is like a ghost town.  Another must is the train ride.

Hi Ron,
Three years ago when I first retired, we took a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines up the inside passage and Skagway was one of the stops. We had a tour of the town and the brothels and we took the Whitehorse Yukon Pass narrow gauge rail trip then so won't repeat that adventure this time.  Though I do have fond  memories of that trip. We also stopped in Ketchikan and Juneau in 03.  We will be passing through Skagway on our swing back toward home though , later in the trip and will likely post pictures from our Alaska cruise  in Skagway.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »
We had a tour of the town and the brothels...

Betty,

Is this another case of TMI  ???  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:46:41 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
Alaskan Travelers,

Another place to consider to eat in the Fairbanks area is the Ester Gold Camp. I don't know if they still do, but we used to go out there for their all you can eat crab. We would go out early so we could eat then go to the Malamute Saloon show. Call and make reservations for both. There is other this to eat other than crab if you don't like crab.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Hosted by Over The Network